2000 GMC Sierra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 GMC Sierra

So today the wife and I went and looked at a 2000 GMC nice truck and in out price range less than $5000
    She wanted a 4 door tacoma. But I didn't want to spend $10000 on something that sits in the driveway most of its life.

Truck is pretty clean has a check engine light on. Runs and drives good interior and exterior look decent for a 15 year old truck.

Does anybody know any problems these had? Father in law has a silverado 2002 I believe they are the same. His motor is 4.6 and this is the 5.3 version

Going to do a tune up plugs, wires and prob a new O2 sensor and a new belt.

If yku thought plug choices for the honda is tough. These came with platinum plugs ac Delco you can put them in and gap at .060 if you go to iridium then yku gap at .040 and ac Delco changed the part number so I'm a little confused now

And I can't find a forum like this one. I want one with specific years like we have. Struggling to find that

Anyway if anybody has any helpful tips I'd appreciate it.

Haven't actually taken delivery as he had to get the title and we have to get the cash from the bank.

I'll post some pics later

Thanks

Steve

5.3l?

EDIT... nevermind, I see now where you mentioned it's a 5.3l. I have a few friends that put those in RX7's and 240s. They are a real cheap engine with a ton of potential.

Comment

Your best bet, forum wise would be fullsizechevy.com - I was a member on there for a few years, i can't remember my log in now.
      92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
      2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
      2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Originally posted by dysfunk View Post
        Your best bet, forum wise would be fullsizechevy.com - I was a member on there for a few years, i can't remember my log in now.
        Thanks

steve

Comment

My father had an 02 Silverado with the 5.3. We really have no problems with it mechanically. I've done a lot of water pumps, ball joints, wheel bearings and brake lines on those things though, all easy stuff. Check engine light if I had to guess is probably related to the evap system

Comment

P0138 oxygen sensor high voltage bank 1

I assume this would be the upstream sensor?

Steve

Comment

Just from knowing OBD2 codes P0138 means Oxygen Sensor Circuit high Voltage, Bank 1 Sensor 2.

P0132 would be the upstream bank 1 O2 sensor, P0138 is downstream bank 1 O2 sensor.

Bank 2 is passenger side and bank 1 is driver side.

Comment

Thanks
                Hopefully its just a faulty sensor.
                Other stuff I read looks to be a little more involved, intake manifold leak, egr problems.

Hopefully the $27 o2 sensor will fix it.

Then on to the mirrors that don't work. Apparently over time the plug can just come unplugged. So that fix will be free. I swear I thought I checked those when we drove it but oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
                  Thanks
                  Hopefully its just a faulty sensor.
                  Other stuff I read looks to be a little more involved, intake manifold leak, egr problems.

Hopefully the $27 o2 sensor will fix it.

Then on to the mirrors that don't work. Apparently over time the plug can just come unplugged. So that fix will be free. I swear I thought I checked those when we drove it but oh well.
                  No problem, I'm around these engines quite often as I have two friends with 5.3s. I know an helicopter mechanic who served from '71-'93 as well who has a 5.3 in a '57 Chevy pickup.

Comment

Well the O2 sensor turned out to be in the wiring. The wires were pinched in two like the hit something. So I resoldered those and then removed the neg cable and still a code. Took it to advance and they reset the code and now It is gone.

I have spent the better part of the weekend 6-7 hours polishing with 105 and griots machine polish 3 and topped off with Mequiars yellow number something. 2 coats. Looks like a newer well cared for truck.

The mirrors didn't work so I removed the switch and cleaned it, now they work well.

Both those fixes were little money. The fuel gauge will be more expensive and take some time since I have to drop the tank.

Steve

Comment

What a fucking pain in the ass it is to install a double din in these trucks. It seems funny since mine went in the accord so well.

I was given an older kenwood DNX6140 for free. She didn't like it and got a new pioneer. So I figured surely this can't be that bad.

SO WRONG.

You have to hack up the radio bezel, hack up the radio bucket etc. Bondo sand bondo sand. SHIT

Anyway Two weeks later I am almost there. This radio has a garmin GPS built in. Since we use this truck to mainly pull our little guy. I thought this would be great.

I'm getting to old for these dumbass ideas.

So far this is where I am. And I need a damn Antenna adapter. I just thought the accord was old school.

This allowed me to practice a little with bondo. It looks ok. I'm not done yet. But I feel confident I can fix the little ding in my door and get it to look ok.

[IMG][/IMG]

Doesn't look like much. But this allows me to still use the ash try and the power panel thing under the radio.

steve

Comment

Working...
                      X