Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What problems should I look for on a 2nd gen. RX7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What problems should I look for on a 2nd gen. RX7?

Ok so like the title says what should I look for? I'm about to be looking for another car and the 2nd gen rx7 is one of my choices. I've been reading up as much as I can on them but i'm still needing more info. It'll be the non turbo model, manual transmission, and not a convertible. I'm wondering what all I need to keep an eye out for or what I should be asking about with the rotary motor. My brother used to have one so i've worked on them a little bit but it's been years since i've been around one. I found one that was fairly inexpensive but the ad said that the freeze plugs and the radiator needed to be replaced. I'm really not wanting to get the car and then have to pull the engine immediately and do work to make it driveable. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

First and foremost, ask if it leaks/burns oil. If they say no, walk away.
    Rotary motors go through oil like crazy.

Other than that, research how to repair rotary motors. They're not difficult if you know how to fix and maintain them, it's just that most people don't know how.

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Yeah I just got done reading almost every thread could find on here about rotary engine and rx7's in general and there was ALOT of helpful information. It seems like it's not the motors fault but moreso that so called mechanics really don't know shit about a rotary motor and work on them anyways, the oil needs to be checked pretty much anytime you stop to get gas, and upgrading the cooling system, injectors, and apex seals needs to be done as soon as you can and the engine should be pretty sound. They were called "attention whores" lol.

Comment

Anyone, anyone?

Comment

You should check the UNI joint. I had one that was bad. Replaced it and still heard the sound. Turned out the chassie was cracked, considered total. I was told be some friends it was not fix able. When you shift and push on the gas, if you hear a clunk sound from the rear, you should check it out.
          NEW PSN
          H22wagon

New project. 95 EG HB H22
          RIP

Comment

Thanks H22WAGON93. Alot of people are telling me to stay away from rotary engines but the more I read about them the more I want one.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandoncb7 View Post
              the oil needs to be checked pretty much anytime you stop to get gas, and upgrading the cooling system, injectors, and apex seals needs to be done as soon as you can and the engine should be pretty sound. They were called "attention whores" lol.
              Check oil every other gas fill up, if you don't run it down. Not necessary to upgrade cooling system for the NA and what about the injectors? Most don't know how to deal with the apex seals. Their symptoms are shady. Only sure way is compression test, you can also take out the trailing plug and egi fuse to crank it to check for pulses and gaps. There are a few stronger than OE seals available. The NA FC are simple IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by HondaB18 View Post
                Check oil every other gas fill up, if you don't run it down. Not necessary to upgrade cooling system for the NA and what about the injectors? Most don't know how to deal with the apex seals. Their symptoms are shady. Only sure way is compression test, you can also take out the trailing plug and egi fuse to crank it to check for pulses and gaps. There are a few stronger than OE seals available. The NA FC are simple IMO.
                Yeah I would be sticking to a n/a fc for the time being until I know rotarys inside and out. I'm not comfortable with boost at all and i'd like to see what that motor could do by itself before I go any further. As far as the injectors I read that the stock ones will eventually start to leak. What do you mean by most don't know how to deal with the apex seals? Are they hard to replace? From what I read it wasn't too dificult but here again i've never really done much work on these motors. Everything i've read so far is saying that as long as you keep up with the maintanence on them and keep an eye on everything that they're great engines.

Comment

buy one thats been freshly rebuilt.
                  or have moeny to rebuild it as soon as you get it. helps if you know it was done by a reputable builder.

I like aftermarket seals running tuff stuff in mine.

guy who did it said not one has come back since he started and that was 10 years ago.

Comment

if u need basic tips on how to use it let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
                      First and foremost, ask if it leaks/burns oil. If they say no, walk away.
                      Rotary motors go through oil like crazy.
                      Rotary engines actually burn oil by design, it uses it to lube up the apex seals then gets burned out in the combustion process. Expect to loose a quart around every 3k miles or so.

Also make sure the the engine has not been over heated. I know its hard to really tell and im sure the seller is not going to tell you that it has, but rotary engines + over heating= problems.

And dont listen to people when they say rotary engines are unreliable. Chances are they didn't do the proper maintenance.

Another problem 2nd gens tend to have is the headlight switch will go bad. Easy fix, but if it goes bad only your headlights will turn on. The dash lights and tail lights will stay off. (just in case it ever happens, because I didn't know that was the problem when mine did lol)

Thats all I can really think of right now lol. Good luck

My s13 Ride Thread>>><<<My Rx7 Ride Thread "What is power without control?"
                      New people click here

Comment

Check records to see if the Apex seals have been replaced. If not, count on doin it soon.
                        "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
                        "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
                        Disregard females, acquire currency
                        BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

Working...
                        X