No announcement yet.

1997 Acura CL 3.0 Reliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the 1st gen CLs have the same tranmission as the 5th gen V6 Accords (95-97), I do not recall those being an issue. If it has the same transmission as the 6th gen V6 Accords ('98-'02), those are known to have issues as noted by many others (but not as much of an issue if fluids changes are done exactly when required if not even earlier). Owequitit can tell you (and has previously noted in detail about this matter).

Btw, the 2nd gen TLs ('00-03 only-- the '99 had a 4 speed transmission still) also were known to have transmissions problems which appear as common as the 6th gen Accords. (same body). I have a '98 V6 TL (first gen '96-'98) which is not known to have abnormal issues.
    Last edited by mrvinyl33; 04-03-2009, 05:24 PM.
    '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
    EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

The 5th gen V6 Accord has the C27 motor. Same motor from the second gen Legend. To my knowledge, they never had any problems reguarding the transmissions. They don't share the same transmission as the CL.

The Acura CL 3.0 has the J30 motor. That transmission has the same problem as the '98-'02 Accord V6 models.

However, I don't think the '98 Accord or '98 Acura CL's were under the recall for the transmission.

Comment

Is the transmission failure a question of when it will fail or if it will fail? To be safe, I better look for a 4 cylinder 97-99 CL.

Comment

Speaking of the devil, doing a J30 trans right now. Btw, the car has been dealer maintain since day one.
          I hate these trans lol, 5spd is the way to go for sure.

Comment

Working...
          X