Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japan made 6th generation accords better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BadgerType View Post
    i have never run across a japanese built 6th gen accord. any chance there is a link or anything to these jdm Cg's?

VIN: JHMCG5554XC050823

link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...=p4506.c0.m245

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
      Also, some were probably built for other countries as the "US" Accord isn't just sold in the US. They may have also done it for capacity reasons, as the Marysville plant could very well have been tapped out (the 6th gen is the best selling Accord gen to date). I personally always thought they were ALL US made as well, but they I found out I was wrong.
      Here in Malaysia, we got the CF0/CG2 Accord as the 'official' model.

These were locally assembled and they were built in a time frame where the local franchise holder was running into some problems with the principal, Honda. Quality was down the toilet.

Then Honda Japan came and took over operations (they set up a new company) and the MMC CF/CG was given a 'new' lease of life. It was put together better, and thankfully, minus the ghastly 'options' (you were forced to buy the options).

Other countries that manufactured/assembled the CF/CG was Thailand. Im not sure where the Philippines got their CG. Japan perhaps.

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
      Honda Accord Euro-R
      Honda Odyssey Absolute
      Honda City I-DSi
      Honda Stream

Comment

Originally posted by JaK FRoSTWhiTE View Post
        koool, thanks for sharing the knowledge

174.92 BHP / 171.45 WTQ

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerType View Post
          all cg's were made in the US, ohio to be exact

the euro r is the only closest thing to our usdm accord

the reason why most of the I4 and v6 trannys failed were faulty parts that were assembled in mexico. the 2002 models were suppose to be the fixed versions.
          The transmissions actually fail because of the way Honda designed the torque converter. Since Honda uses wet clutch packs instead of planetary gearsets and bands, they tend to have a firmer shift quality. Just like wet clutch packs on motorcycles with autos.

To solve the shift quality issue, which is something they had been criticized for for many years, they figured out that they could use the torque converter clutch to soften the shifts, by partially engaging it and disengaging it with the shifts to control the amount of "shock" that went into the driveline.

The problem was that doing so caused extra wear on the TC clutch. No big deal, except that the internal screens designed to filter the fluid would get clogged with all of the extra worn clutch material floating around. This caused line pressure throughout the system to drop, which in turn caused premature wear on the regular clutch packs. This in turn led to more clutch debris floating through the system, which made the problem worse and worse, until ultimately the transmission failed. Had Honda put a replaceable filter on the transmission, or in some way made the screens serviceable, there would have been no problem at all, but they didn't. So the ONLY defense against the problem was regular fluid changes to flush out as much of the clutch material in the system as possible. How many people do regular fluid changes at the scheduled interval? Not very many. It could also be argued that Honda's interval was too long for that particular transmission. I used to change our fluid about ever 10-12K or when it would START to turn brown. Never had so much as a hiccup in over 70K.

Another contributing factor was that people heard about the problem and tried driving the cars easier, assuming that hard use made it worse. In actuallity, the hard use allowed the clutches to function at full lockup, which REDUCED the amount of clutch material, and actually alleviated the problem.

V6 trannies were more prone to failure, due to the larger torque, but the 4 cylinders had the same issue eventually. Also, I have found 2002's that do still have the problem, they just weren't covered in the recall.

Finally, just because it was built in Japan, does not mean that it was ALL made in Japan. If you look at the new Accords built in Ohio, the J series usually comes from the states, but the tranny often comes from Japan. Over there it is probably similar, as the largest, if not only J series plant is in the US. The make over 1.2 million J series units per year for worldwide consumption. That means that at some point, they are shipping overseas.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
          X