Clutch Galore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Galore

ok guys, I'm temporarily getting out of the CB7 game. I'll be heading out to college and I know Stephanie (my car) will not make it; so I'm in the market for a new one. I found a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST with 103k miles on her. She runs real well with very little body rot ande pulls like nothing I have ever driven before.. then again I've never driven a turboed car before.

With that out of the way here's my question. The guy I'm buying the car from declares that when he first purchased the car, it had little to no clutch left.. so he put that in as well as a fidanza light weight flywheel.. that's the only modification done to the car. However, when I took the car for a spin the clutch felt very funny. I have only done one clutch in my life and when I was finished, it was pretty hard.. this clutch pedal feels kind of soft and lets go maybe two inches from the floor.

I understand that when a clutch is bad, you have to lift your foot quite a ways before it engages.. why would it engage so close to the floor? Is this a result of a light weight flywheel or the type of clutch he installed? Someone there at his house stated that it may need to be bled.. can I have other insight?

Thanks in advance guys.
    Last edited by ExCoupe92; 05-11-2008, 11:15 AM. Reason: spelt somethign wrong

I would bleed it, check the fluid first tho. It should engage closer to the middle of the throw range. That is how most clutches I have come across are, but then again I don't know what kind of clutch he put in.
    1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    4.0L I-6 2WD
    293k miles, still running strong.
    Freshly rebuilt transmission.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure either.. that's why I'm weary. Would a different kind of clutch change the range of engage?

Comment

yeah..i would bleed it aswell..

that sounds like the same thing the clutch in my truck does when i need to bleed it...

then i bleed it...and everythings fine. haha.

Comment

Working...
        X