Considering Buying A 3rd Gen. Accord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering Buying A 3rd Gen. Accord

I'm thinking of purchasing a 3rd Generation coupe or sedan Accord. I thought about buying one of these back in 2003, but bought the 4th Gen '91 SE instead. Anybody that has a 3rd Gen Accord, what made you purchase one instead of a 4th Gen and would you recommend a 3rd Gen to anybody looking for one and why?

Here are some 3rd Gen Accords I think are pretty tight:

Peace.

~DirtySouthHonda
    Last edited by DirtySouthHonda; 03-19-2008, 01:00 AM.

they are pretty ok cars IMO but i dont know about swaps or any upgrades for those things

Comment

ive always loved the coupes, there my favorite.

Comment

I used to had a blue coupe...run and drive great with only 115xxx miles..
        little rust here where I live...

the only thing I didn't like was it was a non-FI engine...
        I would buy one again if its a FI engine..that just my opinion..

or if I had the $$ I would do a swap..

check out: www.3geez.com

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

www.3geez.com

theres something called ( COUGH ) LS/VTEC swap for the 3rd gen...

what you would need is the B18A block and B16A1 head with the 86-89 LS integra trans.

the B18A is in the OLDER tegs OBD0 or OBD1

you will find A LOT of info on the 3rd gen swaps in that site I mentioned ( www.3geez.com )

I haven't been on there in a LONG while...but its a great site for the 3rd gens
          92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
          My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

Originally posted by SN2BH22CB7
            www.3geez.com

theres something called ( COUGH ) LS/VTEC swap for the 3rd gen...

what you would need is the B18A block and B16A1 head with the 86-89 LS integra trans.

the B18A is in the OLDER tegs OBD0 or OBD1

you will find A LOT of info on the 3rd gen swaps in that site I mentioned ( www.3geez.com )

I haven't been on there in a LONG while...but its a great site for the 3rd gens
            i thought 86-89 tegs came with the d series how would u bolt the B onto it?

Comment

Originally posted by skilzz
              i thought 86-89 tegs came with the d series how would u bolt the B onto it?

Wait....you're correct...I got them crossed...its the 90-93 that had the B18As....the 1st gens had D16A DOHCs

I had them crossed...

but ..what you want to do is..get the B18A from the 2nd gen Teg..and slap a B16A1 ( not B16A2 )...B16A1 head onto it.

Thanks Skilzz

I had then crossed for a hot sec

HERE...heres the thread:
              http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...ight=LS%2FVTEC

^ a lot of pics

B18A bottom / B16A head
              Last edited by SN2BH22CB7; 03-21-2008, 11:00 AM.
              92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:

Comment

The B swap into a 3rd gen requires new mounts, and some other custom stuff. Place Racing made a kit back in the day, but they've been out of business for a long time. The swap kit, if you can find one, usually sells for way more than the cars do these days!

It's not a direct drop in. However, the H/F series have fitment issues regarding the rear crossmember, so the B series is still the best option.

The A20A isn't a great motor, but it's not bad. The head doesn't flow incredibly well, but it's decent. The block is iron, so it's strong as hell. Beef up the internals a bit, and it'll hold a good deal of boost. I have a rebuilt A20A on my front porch, ready to go in... Next is an OBD1 conversion and 8-10psi

It weighs around 2500lbs, so it's considerably lighter than the CB. The suspension design is quite good, and it handles very well.

I really like mine, and I'm looking forward to getting it on the road again... and looking pretty

Comment

Thought you were look for Hyundai to replace your Hatchback?
                  Originally posted by sweet91accord
                  if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                    The B swap into a 3rd gen requires new mounts, and some other custom stuff. Place Racing made a kit back in the day, but they've been out of business for a long time. The swap kit, if you can find one, usually sells for way more than the cars do these days!

It's not a direct drop in. However, the H/F series have fitment issues regarding the rear crossmember, so the B series is still the best option.

The A20A isn't a great motor, but it's not bad. The head doesn't flow incredibly well, but it's decent. The block is iron, so it's strong as hell. Beef up the internals a bit, and it'll hold a good deal of boost. I have a rebuilt A20A on my front porch, ready to go in... Next is an OBD1 conversion and 8-10psi

It weighs around 2500lbs, so it's considerably lighter than the CB. The suspension design is quite good, and it handles very well.

I really like mine, and I'm looking forward to getting it on the road again... and looking pretty
                    Double wishbone aint it? So you rebuilt that A20 in your hatch already? I remember you saying something about it burning oil and what not. I like 3gs but everyone I see is always beat to shit. Cbs are starting to become a dime a dozen too.

Comment

3gees are great cars and pretty powerfull if you get a 88-89 LX-i or SE-i there both fuel injected and have 122hp at the crank.
                      there is not alot of aftermarket but thats kinda cool cuz everything you do too your car will be custom and it will be like a one of a kind car
                      Blake.
                      1994 Accord Part out!
                      Me and my step dad's 1991 Accord EX Coupe MRT

82 accord-rip, 94 geo-sold, 82 cavilier-rip,81 civic-rip,88 accord- rip, 88 legend- rip, 91 civic- sold,97 geo-sold, 92 accord- sold 94 accord- RIP, 1990 Camry- RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Accord
                        3gees are great cars and pretty powerfull if you get a 88-89 LX-i or SE-i there both fuel injected and have 122hp at the crank.
                        there is not alot of aftermarket but thats kinda cool cuz everything you do too your car will be custom and it will be like a one of a kind car
                        Yeah, it would be cool to have a custom CA5 tuner and a lowrider-inspired CB7 in my possession. Have a Honda family in my driveway.

~DirtySouthHonda

Comment

I personally like the thrid gen hatchback.

A buddy of mine from high school has one. It only has like 60K on it now. It was his g-ma's before he got it.

Not much aftermarket support like someone else said, but they're fun little cars.

1999 BMW M3
                          2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                          2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                          2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate
                            Thought you were look for Hyundai to replace your Hatchback?
                            That was a LONG time ago... I was considering it, though. 4G63t in an Excel was the plan... or at least an Elantra

oozingmachismo2, I found a rebuilt A20A being sold locally by a 3geez.com member. uslspct and I picked it up a few months ago, and it's been on my porch ever since! The guy gave me a fully rebuilt engine, done with the lower-compression pistons from a carbureted A20A, ready for a low-boost turbo setup. I also have another set of aftermarket pistons that he gave me as well (not sure what they'd do for me... I never asked). I need to replace the girdle bolts (also supplied by the seller), put the valve cover on (gaskets ALSO supplied... dude hooked me up ), take the oil pan from my old engine (or get a new one, as mine has a stripped drain bolt), and install the water pipe... then drop it in. Should take me a day or two. I still want to do a build, but it might end up being my H22.

And yeah, 122hp for 2500lb cars is pretty decent. They aren't fast, but they're about as quick as any modern 150hp car that's near the 3000lb mark.

IMO, not as easy to work on as CB7s.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote

IMO, not as easy to work on as CB7s.

correct me if Im wrong....its been a while since I have owned a 3rd gen..

but I think...some of the parts are backwards as compared to the CB..

alternator and starter are BEHIND the engine. ( you have to get under the car to change that shit )

*** trying to remember correctly ***

but by all means...correct me if Im a little off!

MR Thread:

Comment

Working...
                              X