Warming up your car info from CNN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warming up your car info from CNN

I overheard...then googled it...and want to state to these people that they must really want to have more people screw up their ride just to bring it into shops. CNN is obviously uhh...comin' up with their own myths taha and uhh they're *** (i use words like "***" to describe things I don't like because I have a limited vocabulary)...i've done what the link suggests to do a long time ago...results will make you're ride sick. Pretty stupid how they're stating the fact that warming up your car is good for your car-

Here just read it...:
    http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...e_myths/3.html

This is what makes it sound like they're just being stupid.

"It's true that running cold is harder on an engine than running warm. The oil is thicker, and it takes a little time - very little, really - for it to flow to all the parts of the engine that need it.
    But letting the car sit while the engine is running doesn't help anything. It just wastes gas and pumps out needless fumes. You might as well get on your way." -CNN.

"doesn't help anything"...what a bunch of
    Last edited by Djmoua; 02-09-2008, 11:28 AM.

*Needs*
    -New shocks
    -Struts
    -Drop
    -Cleaning
    -New Tires/Wheels
    -New Window Tint
    -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

you are supposed to warm up your car for 30-60 seconds and then ease on the gas after that.

if you have to climb a monstrous hill then i would suggest running around the block first.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

That article is pretty accurate. Most people let their cars warm up longer than they have to. It really takes only about a Min of the car running to thin out the oil.

After I've started my car and let it run for just a few mins then I take it slow and don't let the car rev past 2000-25000rpms until the heat is blowing out hot air.
      "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
      - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
        you are supposed to warm up your car for 30-60 seconds and then ease on the gas after that.

if you have to climb a monstrous hill then i would suggest running around the block first.

for reallz...but i warm mine up till the RPM goes below 1k rpm..then i know its warmed up...if only in a case of emergency, i'll skip the warming up part...but otherwise, no.

Edit: i guess im trying to say is i'd rather be safe than sorry. Heh.

*Needs*
        -New shocks
        -Struts
        -Drop
        -Cleaning
        -New Tires/Wheels
        -New Window Tint
        -Alot more lovin'

Comment

I go WOT when that bitch is frozen.
          14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Originally posted by verothacamaro
            I go WOT when that bitch is frozen.
            ...i actually did do that....made my car bleed out its blood! (oil) tahaha...well more like it was takin' a piss. Yeah it looked that bad. of course this was done when i was about 16..17...i didn't know wth i was doin...

*Needs*
            -New shocks
            -Struts
            -Drop
            -Cleaning
            -New Tires/Wheels
            -New Window Tint
            -Alot more lovin'

Comment

first start up of the day i let it warm up till the needle starts to move. then after that its pretty much just whenever i need to drive i just go.

Comment

I start a fire under my engine. Warms up shit quick.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I usually have to clean the car off of ice and snow first thing....so by the time I finish that the car is ready to go. When it's cold and I'm accelerating the engine sounds funny, so I like it to be good and warm. If I don't have to clean it off or anything I let it warm up until the RPMs drop a bit.

Sean-Dinner.com

Comment

i always let my car warm up and i always change my oil at 3,000 mi. i just dont think the oil can do anything when it gets black.
                    Freedom Is Not Free
                    U.S Army 02/08 Medically Discharged

Comment

Originally posted by benjerman112
                      i always let my car warm up and i always change my oil at 3,000 mi. i just dont think the oil can do anything when it gets black.

i do that same. every morning i go out and start up the truck( current ride)
                      then go back inside to comb my hair. takes a minute or two and i'm done. off i go to work at 4am.

Comment

Honda recommends not warming up your engine. Just get going but keep it under 3-4k until you reach normal operating temp

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                        where you been, is something wrong?
                        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

i never bother warming up... get out, start it up, it idles for a few seconds while I put on my seatbelt/comb hair... put it in first and go.
                          Seattle Silver crew #5
                          Member of the Midwest Car Club.
                          ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
                            Honda recommends not warming up your engine. Just get going but keep it under 3-4k until you reach normal operating temp
                            That's usually what I do. fizzbob7 said that quite some time ago, and I've been going by it. I can't say I truly baby my engine, but I haven't broken it yet!

A couple seconds of warming up the car, as Rusty said, isn't a bad thing. I know people that will let it sit until the temp gauge is at normal operating temperature... that's a little much.

When the car is cold, the ECU is running in open loop mode. It is running on a set fuel map. When the RPMs drop, it means that the sensors are all up to operating temperature, and the ECU is then running in closed loop mode (meaning it is then adjusting the fuel map on the fly from sensor input, mainly the oxygen sensor). So, for those that let it warm up until the RPMs drop, that's probably the best choice. Open loop isn't exactly best for fuel economy, as it's a set amount of fuel being dumped, rather than just what is needed. (If any of my information is incorrect, please correct me... I know a bit about these things, but I am by no means an expert)

Comment

Originally posted by benjerman112
                              You're Big Oils best friend!
                              2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                              Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                              1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Working...
                              X