Move over Plane on a Treadmill there's a New Sheriff in Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move over Plane on a Treadmill there's a New Sheriff in Town

it def will. its just a matter of getting the copter out of the spin when its off the turntable.

Comment

yes!

no!

yes!

no!

1999 BMW M3
      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

LMFAO Excellent!
        14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

it would put it into such a terrible spin they would have no control.

right?

wait

right scott?

Comment

yeah I'm actually looking forwards to Scotts in depth reasoning on why this would or wouldn't happen....

probably typing it up right now.
            14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Originally posted by verothacamaro
              yeah I'm actually looking forwards to Scotts in depth reasoning on why this would or wouldn't happen....

probably typing it up right now.

true true

1999 BMW M3
              2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
              2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
              2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

OMGZORZ!

*huge indepth explaination*

It won't.

Comment

i'm waiting for owequitit's wall of text. haha.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?- Epicurus

Comment

I am thinking that it would still take off.

The blades on a helicopter are pitched (slight slant to them). The slant to the blade (pitch) is what generates downforce for the helicopter to "lift" into the air.

My question is, What will happen with the tail rotor? It's job is to stabalize the helicopter in flight.

So, if entire thing is spinning (helicopter), wouldn't it spin off in some direction once it "lifted" due to it not being stable? Or would the tail rotor just "snap off" sort of speak due to the force of it trying to stabilize the aircraft while it is spinning?

This should an interesting answer/discussion.

EDIT: Helicopters also have a turbine to help propel it forward. I am curious as to how this would draw into this equation also.

I guess I am also going to have to wait for owequitit's reply.
                    Last edited by Father Time; 01-31-2008, 07:17 PM.
                    3 CB's gone....
                    1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

Wow, talking about gyroscopic effects, this is off the scales

+1 rep for npor

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
                      Honda Accord Euro-R
                      Honda Odyssey Absolute
                      Honda City I-DSi
                      Honda Stream

Comment

I don't think it would.

It would depend on how fast the turntable was spinning, but it wouldn't take very much before it was hard to control after liftoff, or the airframe came apart due to structural loads imposed on it.

This is VERY different from the airplane example. In that example, none of the loads of the treadmill were imposed on the airplane, because the airplane was moving in one straight direction, and the treadmill had no affect on the acceleration.

Here, the helicopter would have to be spinning with the turntable, which would not only cause the helicopter to spin, it would also impose great loads on the airframe. It would probably result in disaster. I tried it once when I was a kid with a small helicopter, and it didn't end pleasantly for those on board.
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                          I don't think it would.

It would depend on how fast the turntable was spinning, but it wouldn't take very much before it was hard to control after liftoff, or the airframe came apart due to structural loads imposed on it.

This is VERY different from the airplane example. In that example, none of the loads of the treadmill were imposed on the airplane, because the airplane was moving in one straight direction, and the treadmill had no affect on the acceleration.

Here, the helicopter would have to be spinning with the turntable, which would not only cause the helicopter to spin, it would also impose great loads on the airframe. It would probably result in disaster. I tried it once when I was a kid with a small helicopter, and it didn't end pleasantly for those on board.
                          We wanted a wall of text. You have let us all down.
                          "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
                          "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
                          Disregard females, acquire currency
                          BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

Originally posted by turbomaxx
                            We wanted a wall of text. You have let us all down.

I did it on purpose. Nothing more really needed to be said.

Comment

Originally posted by 91Accord-LX
                              I am thinking that it would still take off.

The blades on a helicopter are pitched (slight slant to them). The slant to the blade (pitch) is what generates downforce for the helicopter to "lift" into the air.

My question is, What will happen with the tail rotor? It's job is to stabalize the helicopter in flight.

So, if entire thing is spinning (helicopter), wouldn't it spin off in some direction once it "lifted" due to it not being stable? Or would the tail rotor just "snap off" sort of speak due to the force of it trying to stabilize the aircraft while it is spinning?

This should an interesting answer/discussion.

EDIT: Helicopters also have a turbine to help propel it forward. I am curious as to how this would draw into this equation also.

I guess I am also going to have to wait for owequitit's reply.
                              Helicopters do not have "thrust" that contributes a major amount of motion from the engines. It is residual thrust, and incremental in pretty much all cases. The main purpose of the engines on a helicopter is to turn the rotors (main and tail, which are often connected via a driveshaft).

The main foward thrust for a helicopter comes from manipulating the angle of attack of the rotor blades.

Here is a less complicated version of what I was trying to explain:

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es...pitch/DI39.htm

How they work overall:

http://travel.howstuffworks.com/helicopter.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X