I got a new job, but is it legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cdn Wolf
    no offence but if that was me in the accident and you came up to me and handed me a card i'd punch you square right in the face. you wanna make money off of something bad that just happened to me? i'd make sure i didn't bring my car to you for having the nerve to do that...just my .02
    serious, i do my own body work.

dont need no training for that.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Legal, probably. Ethical? That's questionable.

But whatever. It's a little shitty to market to people that just had a major stroke of misfortune, BUT, they will need someone to fix the cars! Don't bother with the REALLY bad ones, as they won't be fixed anyway. Those are the ones where people will be really hurt, so you can steer clear of that.

Comment

My only concern is when you get accidents that are fatal. You ready to handle something like that?

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Originally posted by Cdn Wolf
          no offence but if that was me in the accident and you came up to me and handed me a card i'd punch you square right in the face. you wanna make money off of something bad that just happened to me? i'd make sure i didn't bring my car to you for having the nerve to do that...just my .02
          That's what I was thinking.. If I were just in an accident no matter how minor and someone came up to me and handed me a business card trying to get me to bring my car to their shop, I would go out of my way to avoid that shop, after I decked the person.

Originally posted by Dinner_Time
          I know around here that you can't use police scanners for business or personal gains. Ex... hearing about a crash on the scanner, going to get pictures and then selling them to the news/media. But then again I don't know what it's like in the states lol. Just don't get caught :P
          It's the same around here. It used to be legal but tow truck companies were using it to race eachother to an accident scene to get the cars. That caused all kinds of accidents and unfair advantages to the smaller tow companies. So now scanners are illegal in commerical vehicles.

I would imagine that if you start showing up at accidents frequently while the Police are there they are going to think you are up to something or trying to profit off of their misfortune of being involved in an accident. Again, you are only attracting more attention to yourself.

**Sits back and waits for the "Guess what the idiot cops did now" thread, that we all know is coming**

Comment

hit up a lawyer!

have two business cards in hand.

when u show up at the scene be helpful. like calm them down if they are hurt, offer tips what to do with their car, and legal issues/ then say oh btw here is a couple of lawyers and shops i trust then hand them the card.

just an idea, most of the time if i was at the accident i'd be freaking out what to do. and if someone is there to give me free advice and estimate how much i will have to pay or receive i'd be much happier
            1991 White Accord LX 5-speed aka Lil' Red

Comment

umm, yeah the punch in the face is on its way. what happens if you show up throwing cards around and somehow you end up steping on an insurance companies toes... they like money alot, hence why they rob us all of it. i wouldn't want to start shit there either.
              Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

Theres too much liability for that. who knows if they end up going to court and someone says well you saw the whole thing then your liable in court. let alone if you show up and dont help someone you can get sued for not helping them. Thats a situation id advise you stay away from.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                member ride thread
                11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

The only statute I see applying there is the "Unlawful installation"...but I'd still tread VERY carefully. Max one year in jail.

2nd one is actually transmitting (or interfering with the transmission) on gov/emerg frequencies, and 3rd one is using overhead info from gov/emerg transmissions to commit, or aid in the commission of crime, or assisting escape or a fugitive.

An interesting read. Good links!
                  2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                  Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                  1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

most of the laws relating to scanners have to do with them being installed in a vehicle and have nothing to do with scanners at home. it's usually LEGAL to sit at home, listen to scanners and do what he's doing or go and take pictures for newspapers.

people are blowing this out of proportion. how many people have a clue about which bodyshop to take their busted car to? and how freaking stressful is a normal wreck, really? you still have to deal with the cops and their report and often times, you're dealing with a moron who doesn't know what he's doing OR care about what he's doing.

i don't see why it would be a big deal unless there was serious bodily harm, which would usually mean the car is totaled anyway.

honestly, you may be saving a step for the people involved. how many folks have their body shop on speed dial? if nothing else, it's a harmless push in the right direction. doesn't sound like he's being pushy or obscene and like it or not, if your car isn't totaled, then you're gonna need to get it fixed.

as for the penalty for a misdemeanor, well, 99.99999% of the time, the first, second and even third offenses are fines and nothing more. district attorneys have better things to do than throw people guilty of a misdemeanor in jail. it would literally cost more to house someone than simply fine them a few hundred. it's always about revenue first except for when it comes to violent criminals, and then it's about being as nice and humane to the fucks as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by nolehorridus
                      most of the laws relating to scanners have to do with them being installed in a vehicle and have nothing to do with scanners at home. it's usually LEGAL to sit at home, listen to scanners and do what he's doing or go and take pictures for newspapers.

people are blowing this out of proportion. how many people have a clue about which bodyshop to take their busted car to? and how freaking stressful is a normal wreck, really? you still have to deal with the cops and their report and often times, you're dealing with a moron who doesn't know what he's doing OR care about what he's doing.

i don't see why it would be a big deal unless there was serious bodily harm, which would usually mean the car is totaled anyway.

honestly, you may be saving a step for the people involved. how many folks have their body shop on speed dial? if nothing else, it's a harmless push in the right direction. doesn't sound like he's being pushy or obscene and like it or not, if your car isn't totaled, then you're gonna need to get it fixed.

as for the penalty for a misdemeanor, well, 99.99999% of the time, the first, second and even third offenses are fines and nothing more. district attorneys have better things to do than throw people guilty of a misdemeanor in jail. it would literally cost more to house someone than simply fine them a few hundred. it's always about revenue first except for when it comes to violent criminals, and then it's about being as nice and humane to the fucks as possible.
                      thats what i was thinking and yes its pointless to go to bad wrecks.
                      ]

Comment

Originally posted by nolehorridus

yeah same here i was thinking that.

just act friendly and don't give them the card and run. instead help out and u know be there for them be kinda like a free consler for them.

and get a freakin lawyer paying u too so u can advertise for them too
                        1991 White Accord LX 5-speed aka Lil' Red

Comment

Doesn't sound like you bothered to read the links.
                          No surprise.
                          2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                          Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                          1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Working...
                          X