Anyoen use a GPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyoen use a GPS?

I'm thinking about getting a little GPS system for my car. I've been looking at the Garmin Nuvi 350 and the TOMTOM ONE. I was just wondering if anyone has any other opinions on these or could recommend others.

I'd need really only the Canadian maps and nothing to fancy (mp4 player and that shit).

Thanks!

Sean-Dinner.com

i have the tom tom one xl (same as the one only a bigger screen) its actually pretty good ..... i only have two complaints about it

1. if your in a small town it wont know which streets are one way and it'll try to send you up the wrong way (biger citys are a-ok tho)

2. when it tells you to turn it gives you a warning 2miles ahead and agian at 200yards which is cool gives me time to changes lanes awsome right?...... well it well tell you "turn right/left " 40ft in advance i live in pa and the turnpike has a couple extits right next to eachother ie pottstown and something else

but overall its a very nice system i would deffanatly buy it again
    R.I.P. 6-10-07

(\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < )

My Rotor DIY
    I'm not perfect i will make mistakes if i do just point it out to me

Comment

I have a Garmin c320, which is an older model (maps are loaded on an SD card... bleh). My mom got a C330, and it has maps already loaded... MUCH better. Wal Mart has them in my area for $180 now, which is dirt cheap. I paid $320 for my stupid one!

My friend has a TomTom, and compared to the Garmin, I don't like it. Probably just because I've logged about 50,000 miles in the last 15 months on my Garmin

I haven't used a Nuvi, but I'm sure it's the same stuff in a compact package. Garmin's interface is very intuitive, the maps are easy to read, and the directions are easy to follow. If you live near any toll roads, be sure to set it to NOT go on them, unless you like paying. They seem to ALWAYS put you on a toll road (and I've gotten to where I was going FASTER on the free roads! )

As for one way roads... the Garmin very rarely tries to send me the wrong way. I live on a one-way road, and it won't ever try to send me up the ass-end of it (and it IS the fastest way to my house most times!)

Comment

Thanks guys! I've been leaning towards a Garmin since I hear their mapping system is a lot better for North America than TomTom is. But also some people swear by TomTom.... and vice versa lol. Tough decision. I also read that the TomTom would often tell them to turn AFTER they've passed the road...and would want them to do a u-turn on a major 4 lane highway lol.

The c330 was one I was also thinking about.

This chart was pretty handy in comparing some of them:
        http://www.gpsreview.net/compare-gps...1190-1095-1201

I'm probably going to end up going with a Garmin Nuvi 350 (if I can find a good price) or the C330, they seem to have higher reviews from what I've gathered.

Thanks!
        Last edited by Dinner_Time; 01-05-2008, 01:46 PM.

Sean-Dinner.com

Comment

TomTom is widely marketed. It's been my experience (and my education in business/marketing and psychology backs this) that people tend to believe what they're told, if they're told enough. Market a crappy product enough, and people will begin to believe it is quality. Not that TomTom is crap, but Garmin is better... just not advertised as much!

The only downside to the c330 is the size. It's considerably larger than the newer models (of all brands... Garmin, TomTom, Magellan...) Still easily fit in a glove box, though. It's about the size of a baseball.

Comment

I have the Mio c320 and its great for what i need it for. It has a pretty good size screen and its really accurate here is a link

http://www.mio.com/us/gps-navigation...0-overview.htm

My s13 Ride Thread>>><<<My Rx7 Ride Thread "What is power without control?"
            New people click here

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
              Market a crappy product enough, and people will begin to believe it is quality.
              This is in fact true with anything. If you expose anyone to anything wether they like whatever it is, eventually they will come to like it.

AS for GPS n Navi systems. Im against them. It seems like now-a-days its become the norm to have a GPS. Go to any "Roadtrip, I need Suggestions" thread and everyone says you NEED a GPS system. #1 they give you the worst routes EVER. #2 WTF do i need one for? Wat did i use before? A map. I will use that for the rest of my life.

They are becoming like the Ipods. How can you live without them? like OMG, you dont have GPS, how do you get around?

When im married, and have to get a decent family car(which by then every car will probably have navi in it), Im gonna break the damn GPS in there. I dont need to Bitches telling me where to go.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

True. I even get the feeling now that if I drive without the GPS, I'm missing something. For my job, I really DO need it (well, it can be done with maps... but the GPS makes it SO much more efficient!) Still, I go for long drives without it, just to keep my own sense of navigation sharp. I have come to the conclusion that I can NOT get lost in New Jersey. I've tried. It doesn't work.

Comment

LOL Deev .. I hardly have to try .. I get lost easy ..
                  I love the Garmin that I have tho .. could'nt have come across country without it!

A Hui Hou !!!
                  Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

I rely on a very simple idea... North, South, East, West... As long as I have a rough idea of where I want to be, I just go in one of those directions until I get there! NJ is easy though... If you go too far, you hit the Delaware, the bay, the Atlantic, or the Hudson. If you come to a major body of water, you went too far. I drove home from FL with no guidance, though. Just hopped in the car and went north. Got me home easily enough

Comment

Well all you need is 95 from FL, so....yah, how did you do it without GPS man? lol
                      FOr your job i would understand it. But i know some people that feel like they are lost, just bc the GPS isnt there. Thats the problem I see.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

You make it sound so unimpressive!!! Yes, I took 95 the whole way... but I navigated the DC Beltway all by myself! (and managed to get caught in construction traffic at 1am with an overheating 86 Accord... THAT was fun!)

Comment

I got a TOM TOM One 3rd edition for Christmas and I love it, my mother-in-law got a Invion 3V406. I got to play around with both but I chose the Tom Tom due to the online updates and corrections I'm able to make thru their website. I love my Tom Tom
                          1993 Accord LX - Sold
                          93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                          92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                          2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                          2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                          2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                          2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                          2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

i have the Tom Tom ONE 3rd edition. Gets me anywhere I need to go. One problem I have seen, is sometimes the POI's locations are off and you may have to drive more or less to get to where you typed in. I still have yet to upload maps and see if I can get it to work with my phone's gprs to tap into the traffic updates.

p.s. i'm directionally challenged lol
                            Last edited by sexsiangel; 01-06-2008, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                              You make it sound so unimpressive!!! Yes, I took 95 the whole way... but I navigated the DC Beltway all by myself! (and managed to get caught in construction traffic at 1am with an overheating 86 Accord... THAT was fun!)
                              That's a feat to be proud of Deev. I've lived here all my life and it's still a pain and one can really get turned around. My wife still can't tell the inner loop from the outer loop .

I got a Magellan for Christmas and I love it as I have programmed all the Crazy Rays parts gardens into mine
                              "I'm a dude playing a dude, disguised as another dude"
                              "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Romans 10:9
                              ><((((º>

Comment

Working...
                              X