Public Service Announcement: Symbol use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Service Announcement: Symbol use

I The G-Man would greatly appreciate it if the use of the # symbol in lieu of just typing pound, pounds, or even lbs would cease. This has caused me much confusion lately. I have to stop and re-read things because of it. I read a sentence such as this:
    "You could use a 8# flywheel for that."

as this:
    "You could use a 8 number flywheel for that."

This symbol # means number, not pound as you read it as on a telephone keyboard.

If the use of # in this manner would be discontinue we could all read the forums a little easier.

The use of @ instead of 'at' is acceptable and so is the ampersand.

On another note:
    When typing a dollar amount the '$' comes BEFORE the amount not after.
    This is not correct: 20.99$
    This is correct: $20.99

Thanks for listening to my announcement on one of my pet peeves. Correct yourselves and have a nice day.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

What$#?

Comment

um

die?
      People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
      The world needs to be reset.

Comment

Ok I could understand grammer and spelling errors but this is a little much. I mean its an automotive forum, not a high school classroom.

if you have to stop to reread a sentence because of an # symbol then you might need special assistance.

Comment

werd, G-man fails.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie
            Ok I could understand grammer and spelling errors but this is a little much. I mean its an automotive forum, not a high school classroom.

if you have to stop to reread a sentence because of an # symbol then you might need special assistance.
            That is the thing. It is a spelling and grammar usage problem.
            Last edited by The G-Man; 11-25-2007, 08:29 PM.
            Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Don't hate on the man he is just trying to make it easier to read. Its common sense that the # sign is not a pound sign. even though it is on the phone its 2 totally different meanings. I get what your saying it bugs me too cuz I didn't get what you said about it at first until I read your example 8# ? Come on thats just stupid
              Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
              Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
              JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
                That is the thing, it is a spelling and grammar usage problem.
                corrected.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i think symbols and icons are fantastic ways to abbreviate and make it easier to get your point across, especially if they are easily typeable just by hitting one key, to avoid having to spell out a whole word.

i dont see any reason why # cant be used to signify either "pounds" or "number" or even tic-tac-toe... usually the context makes it obvious what it means.

just like your $ example, 8# would mean "8 pounds" where #8 would mean "number 8". reading 8# as "8 number" is idiotic and makes no logical sense... which should immediately prompt you to reconsider its possible meaning, and i would hope that your mind would remember the fact that its called the Pound sign.

though people writing 20$ bothers me too, but its still clear what it means.

and why is the use of @ acceptable but not the others? just because its more commonly used? doesnt make it any more accurate, just more well known.
                  Last edited by cp[mike]; 11-25-2007, 08:39 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by CustomLowz
                    What$#?
                    weren't you paying attention...that should be

$what#? ...come ON!

Honestly...this is not a grammer issue...because # means number or pound...because in our society...it means both. While I would use it mostly for number...it could be used as pound...though I'v not ever seen it used as such. I guess it could get confusing

Now we all have our pet peeves...so i can understant...but really, this isn't that big of a deal...and I'm sure G-man does not actually expect anyone to do this...correct grammer is one thing...but 100% correct usage is not required...maybe 80% would be nice...70% is border line...

and grammer relates to word usage not symbol usage...other wise we will start arguing over the correct time to use or or :P or or ;D or ;P and so on...after all those have different meanings too...
                    ____

Comment

ohh shizznit. I didnt even know people refered to # as lbs.

My accord's weight is appox. 2800#s, lol

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

^ X2

using symbols is a natural progression of language...look at the Egyptians; you see this particularly in forum language, and instant text language. Apparently we are able to read symbols a lot faster than words; and even words we read as symbols.

check this out:
                        Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
                        The use of # works for me...depends on the context.

This is your writeup scrambled
                        I The G-Man wluod gretaly aepcpairte it if the use of the # smoybl in lieu of just typnig ponud, poudns, or even lbs wulod cesae. This has csaeud me mcuh cfunioson latley. I have to sotp and re-read thigns basecue of it. I read a stenence such as tihs: "
                        Last edited by lokuputha; 11-25-2007, 09:52 PM.
                        DEVOTE

Comment

I have received your request and looked it over, and I regret to inform that I cannot acquiesce to it at this time. If you have any more requests you can submit them to that wall over there.

Signed
                          The internets

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                          where you been, is something wrong?
                          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                            i think symbols and icons are fantastic ways to abbreviate and make it easier to get your point across, especially if they are easily typeable just by hitting one key, to avoid having to spell out a whole word.

i dont see any reason why # cant be used to signify either "pounds" or "number" or even tic-tac-toe... usually the context makes it obvious what it means.

just like your $ example, 8# would mean "8 pounds" where #8 would mean "number 8". reading 8# as "8 number" is idiotic and makes no logical sense... which should immediately prompt you to reconsider its possible meaning, and i would hope that your mind would remember the fact that its called the Pound sign.

though people writing 20$ bothers me too, but its still clear what it means.

and why is the use of @ acceptable but not the others? just because its more commonly used? doesnt make it any more accurate, just more well known.
                            x2

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
                              I have received your request and looked it over, and I regret to inform that I cannot acquiesce to it at this time. If you have any more requests you can submit them to that wall over there.

Signed
                              The internets
                              FUCKIN SHIT. I fail.

Seriously, it bothers me. I doubt anyone will change, but maybe.
                              Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Working...
                              X