Winter Tires Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Tires Suggestions

1st off, i know there is a wheel and tires section, but that section is dead, and i need answers pretty quickly

As some of you may know, i will be moving to Toronto on the 25th(More like when my car is done), And i will, for the first time have to be buying winter tires.

Any suggestions you guys have? Price does matter, but i want answers fast because Its Black Friday tomorrow, and im hoping to score a set for cheap.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

any studded tires or tires that have a high rating for snow/mud/rain purposes. have fun in the snow. and when your going to be going through syracuse. its going to be some heavy ass snow.
    miss my turbo cb7
    moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

I hear blizzaks are good.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Just put some Michelin X-ice on my car last night. They are highly rated too.

Comment

MICHELIN X-ICE

3rd winter now, still using the same set, and they still have tread and handle great on snow. And I abuse my tires!

My summers only last me 3 months 'till they're "slicks".

My CB7 is now ***FOR SALE***

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD1079
            1st off, i know there is a wheel and tires section, but that section is dead, and i need answers pretty quickly

As some of you may know, i will be moving to Toronto on the 25th(More like when my car is done), And i will, for the first time have to be buying winter tires.

Any suggestions you guys have? Price does matter, but i want answers fast because Its Black Friday tomorrow, and im hoping to score a set for cheap.
            ...... umm...
            you're from philly but have never bought winter tires? I'm a few hours north of you and have delt with ass loads of snow all my life. My girlfriend lives in toronto... Once you get past syracuse, you dont have to worry much about snow. Its pretty flat around Toronto. Because of the city and the surrounding water, it stays pretty warm... sometimes not cold enough to snow I mean... not like shorts and t-shirt :P
            Between the two, you dont have to get the thickest tread known to man kind. I dare say all seasons would get you through it. If you LIVE in Toronto... try not to even drive your car in the winter. Public transportation > salt eating your car. If you're driving to/from toronto, any winter tire cant do you wrong.
            My Car
            FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley
              ...... umm...
              you're from philly but have never bought winter tires? I'm a few hours north of you and have delt with ass loads of snow all my life. My girlfriend lives in toronto... Once you get past syracuse, you dont have to worry much about snow. Its pretty flat around Toronto. Because of the city and the surrounding water, it stays pretty warm... sometimes not cold enough to snow I mean... not like shorts and t-shirt :P
              Between the two, you dont have to get the thickest tread known to man kind. I dare say all seasons would get you through it. If you LIVE in Toronto... try not to even drive your car in the winter. Public transportation > salt eating your car. If you're driving to/from toronto, any winter tire cant do you wrong.
              It never snows in philly anyways Its snows like 2wice a year, and that snow lasts for like 5 days and then its gone.
              And since im 18 and have only had 1 year of winter driving experience, no ive never had winters. Plus im not worried about myself. Ive delivered pizza on two of the worst days last year for a full 12 hours each. There was like no one on the road, and my pizza place was the only place that delivered, so i drove like 250 miles delivering pizza on those days. I kno like 5 friends that crashed in those 2 days. Im not worried about me, im worries about the other retarted drivers.

I know skinny is good for snow. Tire rack has 195/75/14 for $59, and 175/70/14 for $66. The cheapest 185 is 185/70/14 and thats $73. I think 195 is too wide but 175 is like tercell pizza cutters, so i dunno

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

Comment

x2 to Blizzaks and Michelin X-ice..

I had a set of Blizzaks that I used the last four winters that I have had the CB. They were great in the snow. My grandmother that live in Iowa has the Michelin X-ice and they do good in the heavy Iowa snows.

Are there Black Friday tire sales in Philly? There sure isnt around here. Closest to a tire sale around here tomorrow is Pick-N-Pull's 50% off everything. Other then that car parts are regular price.

Comment

Blizzaks t tirerack for 185/60/14 are $53. I think thats a pretty good deal, Ill have to look around, but ill probably get them.

I dunno if there are Balck friday sales on tires n stuff like that, But im gonna go to the tires places and be like. Its black friday, you gotta give me a deal man.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD1079
                    I know skinny is good for snow. Tire rack has 195/75/14 for $59, and 175/70/14 for $66. The cheapest 185 is 185/70/14 and thats $73. I think 195 is too wide but 175 is like tercell pizza cutters, so i dunno
                    True, it sounds like the opposite of what you would want but in winter driving less surface area of the tire is better. Like the old Pontiac commericals used to say "Wider is better" doesnt hold true when it comes to winter driving.

OEM Steelies tire size, on my 91 anyways, is 185/70-14. I would not think that you should go MUCH below the 185 rating.

Vehicle Manufacturers USUALLY do not recommend going below their recommended tire size. Depends on what wheels you are planning on using though. I believe the CD chasis came with 15" steelies, and the CB's were the last Accord models to have a 14" steel wheel. Bigger the wheel the higher that inital (185) number is going to be to cover and hold the width of the wheel..

Comment

blizzaks ws-50 are $53 for 185/60/14 at tiretack, ill prolly go with that.

Comment

blizzaks ws-50 are $53 for 185/60/14 at tiretack, ill prolly go with that if i dont find a cheaper set here locally tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                        X