SR20DET/240SX reliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SR20DET/240SX reliability

Alright Honda guys, let's try and ditch our biases and just answer the question :P I'm looking at possibly getting a 240 with a DET cuz I can get both at a good price from a friend. Anybody had any experience with them?? Thanks for the input guys.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0DpX9aV7IRg&feature=related

have a nice day

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
    Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
    NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

Overall, both the car and the motor are very well supported, and have a fairly decent reputation for reliability. Depending on where the motor was from and how it was used (or abused) would determine how reliable it is. The SR20DET has no glaring flaws. Not like the 2nd generation 4G63 crankwalk, or the chronic head gasket issues of many motors (7mge/7mgte for example).

I've heard of weird things breaking on the 240sx, but much of that was probably due to neglect, rather than a bad design. There are very many still on the road today, so that's a good sign.

If you can get them at a good price, go for it. Be sure you know EXACTLY what you're getting into, and expect to do some repairs anyway. They are old and used, afterall!

Comment

hey deev,

on a more serious note, i've personally have known only 2 people who have swapped in sr20's into their 240s, and both have had problems galore. One friend had a rod knock (not the video) and the other broke one of his rockers (or retainers, i forget which one, or he might have floated a valves, all i know is that it was a problems within the head)

if its something you really want to do, dont let us stop you.

go for it.

I'd rather boost a KA myself....

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
        Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
        NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

A boosted KA makes some good power too... and aftermarket companies are realizing this. You don't need a sky-high rev limit for turbo, and extra displacement never hurt anybody! Who cares if it's a truck motor!

One bad thing about the SR20DET is that it IS considered a performance motor in Japan. The motors we're used to getting, like the F22B DOHC, are usually just gramma-car motors. The SR20DET is MUCH more likely to have had a harder life in Japan. Not only are they driven harder, but they're also boosted. Not all Japanese motors are babied! Also, for our swaps, we know we can trust hmotorsonline.com. I'd trust anything that comes from them. However, I don't know a site that sells Nissan motors with the same reputation. Did your friend know of such a source when he bought that motor?

Comment

As long as the swap is swapped properly and proper maintenance is done you should have no problems. There are plenty of sr20 240s running around dallas. I know of 3 (1 red, 2 blacktops) All have been modded and have had no issues. They have had there swaps for about 4-5 years with no hitches. I will admit the red top had a turbo seal issue but that was when he recieved the motor. That got fixed and runs like a champ. He sold it to some white guy dunno how the car is now though.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Some white guy lol . Well the motor should be okay just dont be an asshole and go drifting when you dont have to and crash like alot of people or drifting in parkinglots and putting it on video. You should already know how great your car is dont fuck it up. later

Comment

SR20's are race motors from factory, over decked and ready for boost.

The N/A SR20's are potent little platforms....slap a turbo up to them and they can make 400hp with stock internals.

I love the engine....one of the best turbo 4's ever made.
                14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

That's why I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEE this one:

Your car is faster, I'm the better driver

Greetz Erwin
                  My last ride

Shakes and Fidget - The Game

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                    As long as the swap is swapped properly and proper maintenance is done you should have no problems. There are plenty of sr20 240s running around dallas. I know of 3 (1 red, 2 blacktops) All have been modded and have had no issues. They have had there swaps for about 4-5 years with no hitches. I will admit the red top had a turbo seal issue but that was when he recieved the motor. That got fixed and runs like a champ. He sold it to some white guy dunno how the car is now though.

X2,

A close friend of mine has a 240 with the SR20. When he first completed the swap he had some issues that most people would have with a fesh swap.

After he fixed them, the car has been running without a hitch everytime i've seen it, pulls hard too with a frount mount and 10psi

Just remeber to keep up with the maintence since it is turbo and you should be golden.

Comment

i just finished asking the head honcho besides deev and he just wants to let you know that

Comment

so get a jdm motor for cheap..rip it apart and piece it together with new bearings and check clearances and torque specs.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                        X