Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Trusts Autozone, Advance, Pepboys....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Trusts Autozone, Advance, Pepboys....

....Altornator and Starter tests. I took my altornator to 2 autzones and 1 pepboys and it failed all of them. The 1st autozone the dude hooked it up, and it spun and whatnot, and then it failed. The 2nd one, the lady pressed test, it didnt even do anything and it said fail, (which tell me she didnt hook it up right, but she insisted she did). I then went to Pepboys, and the guy didnt even know how to do it, so I did it. and it failed.

I noticed that in the pepboys one ( I didnt pay attention in the autozone's) that they have A Customer and a Store product choice, which leads me to beleive that somethings up. I mean WTF does it matter from where the altornator came from?

I will be taking off a Known good altornator on my car, and replacing it with this one, and see what happenes. I will also be taking the Good one to the stores and have them test it, and see what happens.......

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Have it checked by a real mechanic....

I mean, after 3 auto parts stores, and a mech or 2....if they all fail....take a hint

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

you can at least inspect the brushes yourself
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
        Have it checked by a real mechanic....

I mean, after 3 auto parts stores, and a mech or 2....if they all fail....take a hint

we will see tomorrow when i do my alt. swap.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

IF they know how to properly use the testing equipment their tests should be just as accurate as any mechanic's... It is just a matter of finding someone at one of these stores that is familiar with how to use the equipment, and the equipment is properly caliberated (sp?)..

According to my Auto Shop teachers an alternator is now refered to as an AC Generator.. Later

Comment

i'm gueesing some tset for out put and some for diodes?9the one that didnt spin)

bite the bullet and get one or get it tested by a mechanic.
            People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
            The world needs to be reset.

Comment

Originally posted by MadSpleen85

According to my Auto Shop teachers an alternator is now refered to as an AC Generator.. Later
              No
              Generator=AC
              Alternator=DC
              wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7
                No
                Generator=AC
                Alternator=DC
                You've got that backwards.

There's a reason alternators (hint: Alternator, alternating current, AC) have rectifier diodes.
                Originally posted by sweet91accord
                if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

No
                  Generator=AC
                  Alternator=DC
                  Wrong ...to bad an alternator "creates" AC and use rectifiers to convert AC to DC... You could call it a AC generator since that is what it is although its referred to as a alternator once its "powered" by an engine.

Comment

No
                    Generator=AC
                    Alternator=DC
                    NO Alternator creates AC current which is then rectified into DC or Direct Current.

AC GENERATOR

Straight out of the text book and multiple teachers mouths
                    Last edited by MadSpleen85; 11-09-2007, 12:25 AM.

Comment

lol I think his attempt to put you down failed.. Always know what your talking about before trying to be a smart ass.

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa
                        lol I think his attempt to put you down failed.. Always know what your talking about before trying to be a smart ass.
                        Everything in the automotive world changes RAPIDLY.. Stop paying attention and get left behind..

Brand Spanking new textbook too..

Pretty good for a Administration of Justice Major dont ya think.. Later

Comment

Those testers stink IMHO. In my experience it won't always properly test a starter. The starter may work in the tester but the solenoid might not be strong enough to engage the flywheel.

Comment

Usually I test it first then bring it to them to verify lol.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            I piss off people for fun.
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NutBucket
                              Those testers stink IMHO. In my experience it won't always properly test a starter. The starter may work in the tester but the solenoid might not be strong enough to engage the flywheel.
                              No, they don't. Those testers are over 95% accurate. If you take it to the right person to test. What you guys need to do is stop taking your shit to the first person you see in the store. I've worked at autozone for over 2 years and the best advice I could give you is to get a "guy" that you go to, that you know is decent with parts, specifically honda's, and go to him and him only.

You wouldn't BELIEVE the amount of times I hear one of my employees tell customers "Oh, we don't sell that part," then I walk over to the computer, look it up, and most of the times we will have it IN STOCK.

If the alternator tester does not spin, it is because it is not hooked up right, the circuit breaker is tripped (its a push button on top next to the "Test Power" switch), or the Test Power switch itself is tripped. The alternator does not generate the force to spin (just like it doesn't on the car, people, duh), therefore if it doesn't spin it doesn't mean the alternator is bad, it means the person conducting the test is "bad."

If testing a starter, and it just clicks, the person testing the starter is a moron and you need to tell him to go read a book. The starter is not turning a flywheel, its only turning the starter gear itself, therefore if it does not extend and spin at least a little, the test is not being conducted right. There is a chance that the starter won't extend at all, but that doesn't often happen.

Stay away from people that don't know their shit, there are a TON of people that don't. There's probably an average of 1-2 people per store that can correctly use the testing equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X