What car would YOU buy for 20k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What car would YOU buy for 20k?

It goes like this: I have a 97 Prelude that I just got 6 months ago, and frankly, I'm tired of it. Vibrations, noises, problems, leaks, etc. This is not the first problem-ridden honda I've had either (all 3 of mine had uber-problems, they had a lot of miles, mind you), but I just want something newer that I can mod instead of put repair money into. The car has to be under 20k, and under 25k miles.

The cars that come to mind include:
    06 Altima SE-R (available for around 20k w/ approx 30k miles)
    Any Lancer Evo (I've been seeing some older models around 20k with 25-30k miles)
    Subaru Impreza (must be turbo, must have low miles)
    RSX (its sorta like my lude though, and I don't really want another honda, even though I do like them)
    Brand new Jetta or other VW

What do you guys think (and HELLS NAWWW I'm not getting an S2k)

A BMW Z3 Roadster.

fucking SYKE

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
    Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
    NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

$2k into a CB7
      $10k in parts
      $8k into the bank

That's what I would do but I'm a 4th gen Accord freak...and probably always would be.

Based on your suggestions, I would go with the SE-R or the Imprezza. They are both fairly common so parts shouldn't be too big of an issue if something goes wrong, they both handle nicely, and they both make great platforms to build up on if you wanted to down the road.

The RSX you said you don't want, the Evo is going to be more expensive than all of them to keep going/fix.

My Accord History:
      91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by ACCLUDE91
        $2k into a CB7
        $10k in parts
        $8k into the bank

That's what I would do but I'm a 4th gen Accord freak...and probably always would be.

Based on your suggestions, I would go with the SE-R or the Imprezza. They are both fairly common so parts shouldn't be too big of an issue if something goes wrong, they both handle nicely, and they both make great platforms to build up on if you wanted to down the road.

The RSX you said you don't want, the Evo is going to be more expensive than all of them to keep going/fix.

i like this idea but id would think about getting a 07 civic si

but id probley get a cb7 and make it hella cool
        Blake.
        1994 Accord Part out!
        Me and my step dad's 1991 Accord EX Coupe MRT

82 accord-rip, 94 geo-sold, 82 cavilier-rip,81 civic-rip,88 accord- rip, 88 legend- rip, 91 civic- sold,97 geo-sold, 92 accord- sold 94 accord- RIP, 1990 Camry- RIP

Comment

Oh god. What a price bracket.

WRX
          NSX
          RX-7
          GTI
          TT
          Boxster
          350Z
          300ZX
          1994-2001 Ram 3500 (yeah, yeah, I know)
          1996-2006 A4

imo, the NSX or RX7 wins out.

and NO, I don't care about your 25k miles restraint.
          Last edited by TheNextEpisode; 10-10-2007, 03:40 AM.

Comment

this car i searched for your area and this came up. 23k miles, $22,000 (just slightly more than what you are searching for) V6, 6-speed manual (pretty rare in a TL), a sedan like much of your list, tan leather, and more upscale than most, if not all of your list.
            Last edited by steelbluesleepR; 10-10-2007, 03:46 AM.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
            Originally posted by Stephen Fry
            'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
            Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I wouldn't dump that much into any accord, unless I were going to k-swap it (which I am thinking over pretty seriously, just need a better conditioned cb to start with).

I'm thinking k-series but IMO the new civics are ugly.

I want a suby but I don't think I could work on it.

I really liked the SE-R when I drove it, but low mileage ones are few and far between

Comment

Buy this car she puts a shame to any other car on the road.

Dr. Jekyll by day Mr. Hyde by night
                ----
                02 Pontiac Firebird W68
                92 Dodge Stealth RT/TT

Comment

The suby is a lot easier to work on than you would think. I've done motor pull/install jobs on them in less than 4 hours. coil packs or anything related to valve covers sucks from the H-block but you get used to it.

My Accord History:
                  91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

id probably go for a race prepped BMW.

I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i'm telling you man, that 6spd TL is pretty badass. 3.2 V6 ftw

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005
                        It goes like this: I have a 97 Prelude that I just got 6 months ago, and frankly, I'm tired of it. Vibrations, noises, problems, leaks, etc. This is not the first problem-ridden honda I've had either (all 3 of mine had uber-problems, they had a lot of miles, mind you), but I just want something newer that I can mod instead of put repair money into. The car has to be under 20k, and under 25k miles.

The cars that come to mind include:
                        06 Altima SE-R (available for around 20k w/ approx 30k miles)
                        Any Lancer Evo (I've been seeing some older models around 20k with 25-30k miles)
                        Subaru Impreza (must be turbo, must have low miles)
                        RSX (its sorta like my lude though, and I don't really want another honda, even though I do like them)
                        Brand new Jetta or other VW

What do you guys think (and HELLS NAWWW I'm not getting an S2k)
                        Avoid an EVO at all costs.......if it cost around 20k, it was abused, and thus the low price.

If you don't want problems with your next car, don't get a VW.

Altimas are nice, but I could not live with them...I don't like the style one bit.

You'd be able to find a VERY nice 98 Mitsu GSX with VERY low miles for under 10k

How about a Mitsu VR-4? My buddy bought a 1995 with 80k Miles for $11.5

MazdaSpeed3......I'm not sure if these are cheap yet.....but they should be around that price. Uber power, Great aethetics, excellent interior.

M-Coupe, arguably one of the most kickass and absurd cars built by BMW
                        14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

A nice clean Sc300

then i'd throw on these
                          or these

Then i'd slam it like this

Then drop in one of these

Should look something like this..

20g's should cover all of that.
                          Last edited by TheNextAZN; 10-10-2007, 08:04 AM.
                          -:¦:-
                          Originally posted by wed3k
                          i rep cb7tuner all day, everyday. people say, "fuck y0 honda." and i say, "bitch, please."

Comment

lexus GS400

Comment

i would get a 2002 WRX. my favorite body style out of all of them. Its turbo AWD with a huge aftermarket support, a great all around car.
                              The CB9 has been reborn into a CB3
                              Members Ride - see my cb3 here - DOHC powah
                              Check out my JDM F22B swap
                              Watch my CB7 video

Comment

Working...
                              X