This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Accord R33
    I guess in a technical sense thats correct, but I always prefer to say i DONT believe in anything. I dont think science is something you "believe in". Its fact, you dont believe in facts, you believe in things you are unsure of. You believe in fairy tails. Santa Clause, magic underwear, flying spaghetti monsters, etc.
    That's not quite accurate. I know and trust proven mathematical and scientific facts. Gravity, speed of light, thermodynamics, biology, etc.... But these only prove more and more the probability that there is a creator. Scientific THEORIES are a different story. If it has not been proven and there are no witnesses or test to verify it, it is no more than as you said a "fairy tale". The THEORY of evolution for example. Any biology major will agree at how complex the human body is. We have microscopic "machines" inside of us that do all kinds of things to keep us alive and help us regenerate. Each part of the body could be analyzed separately and it's truely a miracle how each part works individually, let alone when they're all put together and working "in harmony" together. The THEORY of evolution wants us to believe that all of this complexity happened from a bunch of mucky water mixed with rocks. Evolution says (using a bunch of jargon to confuse the average person) that water+rocks+time=humans?!?!? Religion teaches us (in common words that even a child can understand) that God created everything. Last time I checked, a pile of CB7 parts + time does not = a CB7. There had to be a creator. Complex things don't create themselves . I do not believe in fairy tales. I believe in facts. And the more I dig into it, the more facts I find to verify that there is a creator.

My Accord History:
    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

sorry......i meant every religion that uses the bible, and Abraham as it's sole worship, was spawned from Judaism.
      14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

I guess in a technical sense thats correct, but I always prefer to say i DONT believe in anything. I dont think science is something you "believe in". Its fact, you dont believe in facts, you believe in things you are unsure of. You believe in fairy tails. Santa Clause, magic underwear, flying spaghetti monsters, etc.
        Except that that goes against the very definition of "believe." If you actually believe in something, you ARE sure of it. "Facts" can change. There are many things that were accepted as "fact" previously by the scientific community, and have since been disproven, so what good was it that it was "fact?" And unless you performed all those scientific tests and expiriments yourself, you are believeing somebody else's statements.

Comment

I strongly believe in GOD, JESUS, HOLY SPIRIT, i call myself a christian but i dont go to church, but i found out that in order to serve the lord, its very hard, and there's alot of people that call themselves christians but are pure hypocrits in the temple, and that is what brought me back down, i will not go to a church that preaches the word of god and not follow it, but yes, praying to the lord is the answer to all problems, cuz thats al he ask's for and to not sin. but enough of my rant.
          OLD

Comment

Originally posted by verothacamaro
            every religion spawned from Judaism, btw.

plus God doesn't actually 'exist'

he was created in Mans image, to supersede our ever growing doubts of existence.

to not believe in anything, is to have no clue about ones own desires.

I think even the people that claim themselves as athiest, have that growing curiosity into what the supernatural world may hold, or if there is such a thing.

everything is pre-determined, there is destiny......if there is a past, there is, inevitably, a future.

God is not a being, God is not everything........God is the little voice that tells us what is right and what is wrong. God is the soul, the conscience, the spirit. God is the chemicals in our brains remaining in perfect balance.

The Bible is just a really good story.
            I do respect your opinion, but it is just that....an opinion. They way you have stated it is as if you know all of this for a fact. If so, please show me the facts you are basing this on because it would make you the only living person in the world who knows 100% everything there is to know about the spiritual realm. Please fill us all in!

My Accord History:
            91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

...flying spaghetti monsters...
              ??????
              I just wanna know where you got THAT phrase from.

Comment

every religion spawned from Judaism, btw.
                That would imply Judaism was the first religion, completely false. Religion stems back to the very first homosapians in the paleolithic era, almost 100,000 years ago. Many believe that even he Neanderthals believed in some kind of afterlife.

Religion really grew in the Mesolithic era in the very first human civilizations (Sumar, Akad: aka Mesopotamia, or what is now modern day Iraq). There religions were polytheist. There was no "one" god. There believes carried throughout the ages into Egypt, Rome, Greece, etc. Somewhere, somehow these believes shifted toward a mroe monotheistic outlook, and soon followed the birth of the Hebrew Bible.

Even so, that doesnt account for religions like Buddhism, which was born about 550 years before Christ.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by manny_turbo
                  I strongly believe in GOD, JESUS, HOLY SPIRIT, i call myself a christian but i dont go to church, but i found out that in order to serve the lord, its very hard, and there's alot of people that call themselves christians but are pure hypocrits in the temple, and that is what brought me back down, i will not go to a church that preaches the word of god and not follow it, but yes, praying to the lord is the answer to all problems, cuz thats al he ask's for and to not sin. but enough of my rant.
                  I've been to over 100 different churches in my area trying to find one that didn't have a warped doctrine or "bad apples" in the church. I've come to the conclusion that there is no such church. It's because of the human element. Not a single one of us is perfect and therefore anything we do (no matter how great our intentions are) will be screwed up in some way. Pray about it and pray for those who are "hypocrites" in the church. Just leave it up to God and if you do go to church make sure it is for the right reasons (to get a better relationship with Him). If you're going for the right reasons, then the "hypocracy" and other negative things present don't bother you as much and perhaps God will use you to point those out and help get them on the right track too.

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

that doesnt account for religions like Buddhism, which was born about 550 years before Christ.
                    As you just said, religion has been around for as long as we have a history of mankind. Almost as if there was a creator and a soul within us all and that soul reaching out to try to find and understand this creator and the spiritual world. Hmmm....maybe there's something to that?

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by ACCLUDE91
                      I do respect your opinion, but it is just that....an opinion. They way you have stated it is as if you know all of this for a fact. If so, please show me the facts you are basing this on because it would make you the only living person in the world who knows 100% everything there is to know about the spiritual realm. Please fill us all in!
                      True.....it's everyones opinion, your opinion about Jesus Chris, My opinion on God, and it's existence (or lack there of)

most facts are nothing but opinions of the mass. the only fact is life and death.

beyond those realms, there is no certainty.

you believe you die and continue a different form of life.

while others dont.

wheres the fact here?

we all die.

and we all lived.

our minds are forced to create hope, and to subside fear....this is the call of God, the conscience, the soul.....perseverance and intelligence.

you dont know that god exists......but you sure do believe. No one knows, like I said, we only know 2 things are certain.

life and death.

Comment

Originally posted by sandman61377
                        Except that that goes against the very definition of "believe." If you actually believe in something, you ARE sure of it. "Facts" can change. There are many things that were accepted as "fact" previously by the scientific community, and have since been disproven, so what good was it that it was "fact?" And unless you performed all those scientific tests and expiriments yourself, you are believeing somebody else's statements.
                        That is not the definition of believe.

# accept as true; take to be true; "I believed his report"; "We didn't believe his stories from the War"; "She believes in spirits"

# think: judge or regard; look upon; judge; "I think he is very smart"; "I believe her to be very smart"; "I think that he is her boyfriend"; "The racist conceives such people to be inferior"

# be confident about something; "I believe that he will come back from the war"

# follow a credo; have a faith; be a believer; "When you hear his sermons, you will be able to believe, too"
                        All of those definitions are faith based. you "think" this is true. you are "confident" (but not SURE) this is true. you have "faith" this is true.

Comment

That would imply Judaism was the first religion, completely false. Religion stems back to the very first homosapians in the paleolithic era, almost 100,000 years ago. Many believe that even he Neanderthals believed in some kind of afterlife.

Religion really grew in the Mesolithic era in the very first human civilizations (Sumar, Akad: aka Mesopotamia, or what is now modern day Iraq). There religions were polytheist. There was no "one" god. There believes carried throughout the ages into Egypt, Rome, Greece, etc. Somewhere, somehow these believes shifted toward a mroe monotheistic outlook, and soon followed the birth of the Hebrew Bible.

Even so, that doesnt account for religions like Buddhism, which was born about 550 years before Christ.

you missed my post thereafter.........sowwy.

Comment

I think even the people that claim themselves as athiest, have that growing curiosity into what the supernatural world may hold, or if there is such a thing.
                            No, we (or at least I), dont. I have a growing curiosity into what the real, observable world may hold. reality is far more mystifying.

Comment

That is not the definition of believe.

All of those definitions are faith based. you "think" this is true. you are "confident" (but not SURE) this is true. you have "faith" this is true.
                              What? If I accept something as true, I AM sure of it. Anything I AM NOT sure of, I would not ever say that I "accept it as true." If I'm not sure of something I say i THINK that whatever it is MAY be the truth but I'M NOT SURE.

And you still didn't say where you got "flying spaghetti monster" from.

Comment

you, sir, are misinformed.

It seems that you are also looking for a fight.

If you are interested in a polite, rational conversation about ideas(how can logic exist within christian ideals?)pm someone you know to be a professing christian.

If you are actually interested in proof of these, I'll admit fanciful, tales look more into historical-evidential proofs rather than scientific proofs. Science tends to focus on what can be recreated in a laboratory setting.

It requires some reading, but it's worth it.
                                '92 LX.
                                JDM H22a.

My Member's Ride Thread

Sold to: tysCb7, johnD1079, AccordHybrid92, GUA-D'zCb-7, judonoh, DriftProjectR, AeyJayCB7, C91BLX7, H23CB7

Comment

Working...
                                X