This could be goodbye..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This could be goodbye..

Well, my transmission got screwed up..so my mom brought it to the dealer to get it fixed. Shes finally realizing shes putting more money into this car than shell ever get back. But about the transmission- it was in drive (auto) I pressed the gas and it revved. Nothing else. Just like it was in Park or Neutral. We havent decided what to do yet.. Might end up keeping this or getting something else. Could depend on how much this repair bill will be (they havent even looked at it cuz theyre so busy... there goes that myth ) Another thing that kinda sucked is the fact that they were fresh out of loaner cars. So for the time being, Im a passenger

Any suggestions? Other than not taking it to the dealer every time something goes wrong (its not my car, its my moms... but its free so I dont bitch) Im really pushing for something with a GM 305- easy to work on and fairly reliable. My gf's dad (jokingly) said that he never had any problems with the El Camino he didnt fix with a beer in one hand and a wrench in the other The things still running fine even now (its an 83) Theyre reliable and very easy to work on... So basically I want something that either A) is already fairly reliable and I can easily work on or B) something I wont ahve to work on to keep running.
    To-Do List for Today
    Be Awesome

bring a bottle of KY with you if you go to a dealer to have the tranny serviced- you're gonna need it

..and avoid Vandergriff Honda in Arlington at all costs.
    Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
    2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
    2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
    2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

in fact, give Honda Heaven in Arlington a call- they have a bunch of wrecked CB7s there and i'm sure they'd sell a used tranny (low miles, cream puff, mint, granny to church on sundays) for a halfway decent price.

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
      2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Took it up to the McKinney dealer.. my moms gone there since she started getting Hondas (85 Accord -> 92 -> 02 Civic) so they give her good prices.
        To-Do List for Today
        Be Awesome

Comment

mmmmmmmm how about this. get a used tranny and all the tools and do it urself man. i did a thread here on the DIY about the auto tranny swap with pic too. and i will give u all the info if u do it urself. its about a days work. and u will only spend the money on the tranny itself.
          mine went only for $300.
          are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

That sounds like a real good plan, but like I said before its my moms car and she hasnt let me work on anything under the hood unless it was checkin the oil or changin a headlight bulb. Its just goooooootta be taken to a "pro"..
            To-Do List for Today
            Be Awesome

Comment

That's what you run into when it's your parents car. Luckily my parents saw what I could do with my first car...so they trust me to work under the hood on anything they have.

Once you get your own car, you should get a CB7...I mean, if you've enjoyed this one alot there's no reason not to!

PTAC (Poor Tuner's Accord Club) - #05

2003-2006 - '91 Accord EX 2dr 5spd "Macy" R.I.P
              2006-20?? - '99 Grand Am SE 4dr Auto "NoName"

Comment

I say find yourself a 5 speed CB7. Let your mom do as she wishes with her car, and get something that would be more fun to drive (that you could do anything you wanted to!)

It won't be cheap to find a decent one, but once you have the car, you'll be better off. If you own it and can do anything you want to it, then you can fix things yourself (like swapping a tranny...)

Other than that, expect to spend a minimum of $600 on a used tranny installed... That's what I paid for my first car when the auto tranny died. I'm still chafed a little!

Comment

well then if u want to save some money go to the shops and ask them how much will it cost if they just install the tranny. u buy the tranny and get it to be installed by someone else.
                  also junk jards do this kind of work for cheap if u buy the tranny there.

or buy the car from ur parents for $100 and do the work on the car for urself.
                  are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

one of the other guys here on CB7tuner.com by the name of mrhonda works there at Honda Cars of McKinney. He helped me do my timing belt and other goodies at the beginning of May. Bright guy. Unfortunately you still have to pay dealer prices.

HCMcK is about 1.5 miles up the road from me.

Comment

Well we (she) found a guy a lot closer to do it for a lot less.. so Im gonna have the CB7 for a while.
                      To-Do List for Today
                      Be Awesome

Comment

Cool. At least you'll still have a CB7! We're losing too many people as it is...

Comment

Well if nothing else craps out on this thing, Ill be around til I get through college
                          To-Do List for Today
                          Be Awesome

Comment

Have Faith!

Comment

look around, my friend got his tranny rebuilt for 800.

from some russian dudes
                              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
                              X