What is torque???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is torque???

What is torque? How can you feel torque whene your driving?

Originally posted by DTaccords85
    What is torque? How can you feel torque whene your driving?

torque is vtec spelled different.

you can feel it when it goes mmmMMMMMBAAAAH!

Comment

YOu can feel tq when your drivin by HITTIN the gas pedal and sendin it thru the RADIATOR
      **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
      Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
      Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7
        YOu can feel tq when your drivin by HITTIN the gas pedal and sendin it thru the RADIATOR
        wtf. Torque in simple terms is twisting force (yes there is a longer def but I dont feel like typing it). Google has a lot of explanations and so on.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

So does the motor use torque and horse power at the same time. This might be a stupid question but just trying to understand better.

Comment

http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutor...que.intro.html

Torque is a measure of how much a force acting on an object causes that object to rotate.

See the following:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/fpte4.htm

http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

Hope this helps.
            !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

So lets say hypotheitcly speaking a car as 250 ft/lbs of torque and 125 hp. How would id drive good bad what?

Comment

torque is turning force. Place a lever on the engine's crankshaft and measure the twisting force produced, and you have torque. Note that time is not a factor - torque can be constant over time. Horsepower, on the other hand, is the rate at which the torque is produced.

Comment

you can a 500hp civic but it wont go anywhere if it cant lift itself up

you can have a 125 hp 4runner with 500 lb of torque can pull big things it'll accelerate like shit.

its like muscle and endurance

muscle = torque
                  endurance = hp

Comment

I here people tell me all the time that the torque on there car is crazy and it pulls like a mother...... and im like how do you feel the torque in your car. Im lost.

Comment

ok, here is an example.

Drive your car down the road, goes along fine. then start going up a hill. it slows down and starts to drag. then shift down to a lower gear it picks up.
                      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DTaccords85
                        I here people tell me all the time that the torque on there car is crazy and it pulls like a mother...... and im like how do you feel the torque in your car. Im lost.

go drive a civic dx

and then drive a 350

the one that throws your head back is how you feel torque

Comment

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2
                          go drive a civic dx

and then drive a 350

x2

Your car is faster, I'm the better driver

Greetz Erwin
                          My last ride

Shakes and Fidget - The Game

Comment

Here are some more great links:

http://dmiessler.com/study/horsepower/
                            http://www.revsearch.com/dynamometer...orsepower.html

Also, that vettenet link above is easily one of the better ones I've found on the subject.

In regards to your question, it's not that simple unfortunately. You need to consider the entire power/torque curve...or at the very least, what RPMs those peak values occur at. The way a car feels can dramatically change based on varying only the RPMs at which peak torque (and therefore power) occur.

To add to the comments, torque is what you feel in a car. Horsepower is a derived unit that is useful in explaining why cars with equal peak torque values can be very different, because it takes RPMs into account (this is what I was talking about above). Read the vettenet link and the dmeissler link I posted, and you should understand these two better.
                            Last edited by cjv998; 09-15-2007, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2
                              go drive a civic dx

and then drive a 350

OK i think im getting it now thanks. Yea i know what you are talking about when you go up a hill and it starts do drag.

Comment

Working...
                              X