TOOLS suggestions needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOOLS suggestions needed!

so im in the market for a good mechanic tool set,I was looking at craftman 190pc tool set becuase its metric and SAE.It has 6pt sockets and 12pt sockets and I like there lifetime worranry.

is it a good set,Its accualy for sale at 139.99 reg price is 179.99 on Sears.com

I was also looking at the auto store brand stuff.eh

my price range is 150.00

any other brands I should look for?
    1991 Sedan

click image for MRT
    -Nava

when buying tools you cant buy cheap.... craftsman is the lowist grade i use... dont buy autozone duralast tools or stanley walmart tools.....

the three main namebrands are

Snap-on
    Mac
    Matco
    Craftsman

159 wont get you much at all in thoese tools.... id get the set that was onsell
    to start with and buy you some extra extensions and swivles

Please, Leave me some feeedback on my ride ^CLICK ^CLICK ^CLICK
    Originally posted by deevergote.
    But Honda guys know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING! If you don't believe that, then you're just wrong...

Comment

Craftsman is a good DIY tool set. Snap on, matco, Mac expepct to pay a hella lot more. They aint cheap I tell you that and 150 might get you just a socket set lol MIGHT from those companies lol. I forgot how many piece set but my friend spend about 1300 for his set he bought as school with a box.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

well im gonna go with the 190pc. Ive been researching it,and well if it breaks I get a new tool(or repaired). I got the junkyard special tool set right now,

7-10 screwdrivers
        10 5/16 sockets'
        1 1/2 ratchet that sucks
        1 1/2 socket
        3 vise grips
        7 10mm sockets
        bolt extracter for when the vice grips break the bolts
        1 12mm stripped socket
        12 random sized sockets for a 3/4 drive that I dont have

it really suxs not having the right tools,blah I cant do chit...and my dad refuses to buy tool becuase he thinks vise grips are enough to take out a nuts and bolts lol
        hes swaped an enigne with two scokets and some vise grips lol

well I get paid tommarow so im gonna go to sears and pick up my tool set and maybe some swivels.
        1991 Sedan

click image for MRT
        -Nava

Comment

like 2 weeks ago i bought a 263 pc caftsman tool set from sears for $200. it came in one of those toolbox things, so im pretty satisfied with that. Snap-on is definetly the best, but theyre really expensive and its not necessary for the DIYs that i do

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Craftsman is great. Easy to replace, works well... The quality is decent, though the warranty is the best part. I've broken and replaced plenty of Craftsman stuff in my time.

Snap-on
            Mac
            Matco

Those are REAL tools. With REAL pricetags! Once I get a house with a garage, I'll do enough work to my cars to justify buying some of that stuff. Snap-on has always been my favorite. The quality compared to Craftsman is astounding... and Craftsman compared to other brands (well, Husky is pretty good) is considerably better!

NEVER buy anything lower quality than Craftsman.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
              Craftsman is great. Easy to replace, works well... The quality is decent, though the warranty is the best part. I've broken and replaced plenty of Craftsman stuff in my time.

Snap-on
              Mac
              Matco

Those are REAL tools. With REAL pricetags! Once I get a house with a garage, I'll do enough work to my cars to justify buying some of that stuff. Snap-on has always been my favorite. The quality compared to Craftsman is astounding... and Craftsman compared to other brands (well, Husky is pretty good) is considerably better!

NEVER buy anything lower quality than Craftsman.
              How about Duralast? Built to last duralast. lol

The thing I hate about snap on tools is that when you break them you cant return them immediately. I have a bunch of craftsman tools, When they break I return them to the sears like 3mins away.

Comment

The majority of my tools are Craftsman.. Take a broken rachet into sears, and no questions asked they are slapping a brand new rachet in your hand.. I have had to do that several times..

If you are currently or considering going to school to become some form of a mechanic, Snap on offers discounted tools to students at certain schools. It is only like 25 or 30% off but it adds up quick..

But for your price range, I would stick with Craftsman. You money will go a little bit farther with Craftsman then it would with say Snap on, and if you can find the Craftsman stuff on sale then it goes even farther.... Later

Comment

might i suggest Kobalt

ive been using them for a while now and im very pleased

no bends or breaks, ratchets are smooth. turbo approves
                  "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
                  "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
                  Disregard females, acquire currency
                  BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

Originally posted by turbomaxx
                    might i suggest Kobalt

ive been using them for a while now and im very pleased

no bends or breaks, ratchets are smooth. turbo approves

i use a napa set for my at home stuff

but if ur working only on a honda all u need is a 10mm can dam near built ur hold car

4 door ex-l

Comment

I wouldn't use anything other than Craftsman unless it was the high-end stuff... I break my tools all the time (a ratchet makes a great hammer... ) so I rely on that warranty!

I never heard of Kobalt. I assume it's probably on par with Craftsman, Husky, etc...

Duralast ANYTHING is crap! When you have to have a crappy jingle for your tools... no thanks. Autozone sucks. They're just so damn convenient! The McDonalds of the autoparts world!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                        I never heard of Kobalt. I assume it's probably on par with Craftsman, Husky, etc..
                        Kobalt is a product of Lowe's.. My old boss used them on everything and he swore by the things.. But I am like you deev, a rachet makes a good hammer.. Two whacks to a stuck bolt with a Kobalt rachet and it broke, I never did find that spring.. Later

Comment

I'd take a duralast ratchet over a craftsman ratchet any day, but for everything else I'd go craftsman. My favorite feature of the craftsman sockets is the laser etched numbers so it's easy to read. When I work with the snap on tools it's so hard to find a socket unless I keep it all organized.

Comment

i have been using craftsman tools for about 5 years. i have been working at an independent shop for about a year, 6 days a week and have yet to break a craftsman tool.i did strip one socket though but that was about it. if the tools is used properly then it shouldn't break

craftsman is a good bang for your tool. i am slowly buying snap on, mac tools, they too have great quality but the cost limits my spending. but like everything, you get what you pay for
                            Members Ride

Comment

i got a 190 piece craftsman set for my 13th bday... use it at lease every weekend... only broken the small ratchet once, and like others said, just go to sears and ask for a new one.... no paperwork or anything. The laser etched sockets are the shit.

Comment

Working...
                              X