Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-Smokers do you feel like your getting shafted on the JOB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Smokers do you feel like your getting shafted on the JOB?

Okay this has been really bugging me at my work since I have started there. I will try and make this short. So almost all the people I work with in my department smoke cigs. theres about 5 people who do not.

Okay so. I sit and do my work everyday and such now they take approx 12 Cig brakes a day... Maybe more and they go out as a group to. So you think 3min to smoke and id say its a little longer then that. so say 4ish min. Now they have to get up walk outside smoke then come in, they grab water then go back to their stations or whatever and get back to what they were doing.

Okay so its about 6 min of time wasted say... so like 30min a week they get from smoking free.

2 hours a month= paid from smoking so there getting 24 hours of pay a year for smoking.

I don't get it. I don't smoke so its not like i can just light up a cig.

If I said hey im going outside or stop what im doing just to stand there and someone comes over and goes wayne, do some work.. Id say im taking my non- smoke break... yadda yadda.. now how would this be fair? even my manager guy smokes and stuff and it sucks becuase this happens at like everyones job. There getting paid to smoke while other people are still doing work.

If I ever got fired for not opting to performance or whatever I could so use this to backfire at them becuase it's totally true, It would lead for a well lawsuit if you did get fired becuase you took (MANY breaks)....

What are your thoughts on this? It really pisses me off. I was thinking of emailing someone higher up in my company and addressing the issue... but that could be a bad idea then again its very not so... even my parents agree and feel the same way

so yeah..........

LOL stop your bitching you little girl.

when i worked at the wilmington island club, i'd tell my coworker these words exact.
    "hey man im gonna go take a since i don't smoke break, im gonna sit outside for 7-10 minutes because i deserve a healthy break aswell."

they'd say okay.

so stop bitching, and get back to work.

Comment

When I worked at Dominos, you didn't get a break, at all. UNLESS you smoked, then you could just say, hey I'm gonna go catch a smoke and they'd let you. Then there'd be 2/3 the store all out smoking at once, and if a non-smoker went out to chill, they'd be like get back in, somones gotta watch the store.

That shit pissed me off, cuz I don't smoke.

Now, at Lowes, you can't smoke on or near the premises, if you get caught, you'll be in trouble, management included.

People still do, most of the people in my dept alone do, but they have to be real discreet and sneaky about it. They go behind the store when no ones looking.

But at lowes I can take a break, and the smokers don't break anymore often than I do so its all good to me.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
      where you been, is something wrong?
      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

ohh okay.

Comment

Ya Wayne your suppose to get like 2 15 min breaks in an 8 hour workday....so just take a break whenever...

and tech its not unfair because smoking is a right every American has...you choose not too....i use to smoke but i quit....but in the end....if i want i can smoke....and my boss cant tell me i cant smoke....he could say no breaks...and i can say fuck you and your skanky wife and go find another job.....so good luck taking it up too corporate levels.

Comment

everyone just smokes inside the building...so no problems here other than that i will die from second hand smoking soon.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

not a right, but a privilege, like driving

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
              where you been, is something wrong?
              i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Us smokers have already enough limits opposed upon us, so Hell yeah I take advantage of having a cigarette break

SOLD!!
                Boosted H22
                375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

weird...

i get an hour lunch as everyone else.

i just find this unfair. oh well

Comment

i smoke. i take advantage of that.

Comment

just pretend like u smkoe, and then say im gonna go take a smoke, and then light up a joint and smoke it.
                      ]

Comment

Originally posted by RoCknRicEr037
                        just pretend like u smkoe, and then say im gonna go take a smoke, and then light up a joint and smoke it.

Comment

This is a funny topic because some of my non smoking buddies and I have talked about the same thing before. I would say more than 55% of my job are smokers and about 80% of the managers/supervisors are smokers . I can say the die hard smokers take about 3-4 smoker breaks everyday plus their 2 15 minutes. There is always ways to get even, i just turn my 15 minute breaks into 20-30 min breaks so I dont complain anymore and no one says anything.
                          1993 Accord LX - Sold
                          93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                          92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                          2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                          2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                          2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                          2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                          2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

The 2 15 minute breaks aren't mandatory... they don't legally have to give you a break. Only minors HAVE to have a break.

I've always felt the same way. Non-smokers are always bitched at when they take a break, where smokers can go out numerous times a day to smoke. It's an addiction. It's a bad habit. It's a pleasurable activity. It's not like they have a bladder problem. They have no medical reason why they HAVE to smoke, therefore the right to take a break to do so shouldn't be viewed as a necessity. Sure, it's nice, but people who don't smoke should be able to take the same amount of time off!

Smokers always go in groups. When you're in a group, you talk. When you talk, you aren't inhaling. Your cig takes longer to smoke. A 2 minute break turns into 5 minutes. 6 of those a day and you just spent an extra half hour not working. After a month, that's over a full day's worth of work that you just got paid for that you didn't do! After a year, it winds up being more than 3 workweeks (about 16.5 days) that you got paid for NOT WORKING.
                            Problem? No... aside from the fact that not only do you get paid to not work, and I don't... but while you're not working, I'm most likely working HARDER due to your absence. I could very easily double that time if I observed the average smoker returning from a break...
                            Like you said, Wayne... they smoke and chat. The smoke break doesn't start when they light up. It starts the minute the stop working and say "time for a smoke". When they come back, they have to get settled again... figure out what's going on, what needs to be done. Put their cigs away if they don't carry them. Put their jacket away if it's cold. Put their uniform back on if they have to remove it to smoke... So yeah... suppose the non-working time DOUBLES... that's a month and a half of paid work a year for smoke breaks, assuming 6 breaks per 8 hour shift (that may be high, but it's an easy number to work with). So yeah... smokers... how about we cut your pay by 1/8?

I don't want to hear about the limits being imposed. It is a voluntary action. It is something that is unhealthy for those around you, therefore it affects more than just you. You don't need it to survive. It is not a medical condition.

Deal with it, and live as if it doesn't rule you... or allow for equal workplace treatment. I want to sit on my ass and get paid for a month and a half worth of work I didn't do.

Comment

i hate smokers. i work at sheetz, anyone dont know what kind of company it is, its like wawa. and if you dont have wawa, its a fastfood/gas-station. and i would with people that take alot of smoke breaks, and it pisses me off. what do you get out of the cig? it calms your nerves? the truth NO. it doesnt. step out of your self and look around how you react. sometimes people that smoked come back and start to piss me off. i think smoking should be banned when your at work. you get paid to work, no smoke. its totally unfair.

what i do is, i tell someone ill be back in a few so they could watch register, and tell someone im making a phone call. i go in the back smoke room and get a drink and eat something small. then in 2 min i come back. if anyone pisses me off. i will tell them "hey you got a smoke break, and i got a drink break." sometimes people dont even care. and if they do, ill leave.
                              miss my turbo cb7
                              moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Working...
                              X