mainstream rap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mainstream rap?

I think that mainstream rap this year is getting too much airplay now. It's all the same songs every day. It's not different anymore. Everybody is going for the same thing this year than the 1990s and early 2000s did. It really sucks now. It always stays the same with every song that comes out now. "Krispy", "Buy U A Drank", "Pop, Lock & Drop It", "Lean Wit It, Rock Wit It", "Wipe Me Down", "Zoom" all have the same style. Nothing different anymore. I miss the days of Cypress Hill, Outkast, Wu-Tang Clan, NWA, Tupac, Scarface, Geto Boys, EPMD, Run DMC, Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Digable Planets and Old school Bone Thugs N Harmony just to name a few. Do any of you guys think radio has ruined rap or not? Give me feedback.

Holla Back!

~DirtySouthHonda
    Last edited by DirtySouthHonda; 07-17-2007, 09:02 PM.

I think that mainstream rap or should I say hip hop, has gotten into a trend where it needs to have a "at the club scene" type of beat. I guess that is why they all sound the same now. I always liked gangsta rap and underground shit anyways. club music is too main stream for me. UNDERGROUND MUSIC FOR THE WIN.
    The beginning of a new era............................
    165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
    184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

haha i had this convo today. n e ways rap today just sucks, its all the same its not like it was in the 90s. today all the talk about is cars and clothes and girls and sometimes drugs. oh ya and jewelry. im tired of it the last few years i have been listenin to rock mostly rock. well i listenin to alot of old school rap like nwa tupac dr dre's the chronic. i dont have the radio in my car i shaved my antenna cuz the radio sux.
      cant wait till im all done

Comment

I don't think radio has ruined rap, I think money has ruined rap. See, when rap was 'new' the main guys out there weren't getting tons of cash. I mean, they weren't poor, but they didn't have multi-million dollar record deals. Look at all of the stupid stuff out now. People are just looking to see who can have the most money or be the most 'Gangsta' Perfect example: 50 Cent. People liked him so much because he had fame before he even did anything (Dre and Eminem, not to mention being shot 15823 times) His record contract was something ridiculous.

Now I'm not trying to bash everything that comes on the radio these days. There IS a good place for a club track or a really hard hitting fast song. Every now and then it does feel good to go crazy and possibly hit someone in the face. But that's not everything. There's more than hoe's money and cars (Realizing this as TI's 24's comes up on playlist Talk about irony)

That's why all of the underground guys are talking stuff that's more real than these money loving, hoe humpin, gang bangers. They have to say something that makes people think to get attention. They can't rely on their image (because they don't have one)

Radio hasn't ruined rap anymore than MTV or BET has. They show pretty much the same stuff that's on the radio. To be real honest, I've heard better lines put down by kids at my school than anything that comes out now.

Not like it really matters, pretty much all 'music' now is more about image than music. People go to concerts an such for the artist, not their songs.

Originally posted by Maple50175
        Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

The mainstream rap game is crap. We are led to believe that the crap that they make today is actually good. Its just pure bullshit. Who would honestly think a song called "Chicken Noodle Soup" would be a "Hit". I mean WTF is that.

I have to admit some of the tracks they make these days are good, But the only good part about them is the beat. The lyrics are just pure garbage.

Tnwagn is right about the image that the rappers put out for themselves. How many people do you see these days rolling around with 24" rims on their cutlass supreme or coupe deville. Its not about the music anymore its strictly about who can make the money the fastest. Even though they make crap we still buy it, Why?

Comment

Eh, I think all radio music sounds alike. Even rock music. Everytime I turn on the radio, I swear it's Nickelback...it's usually not, but it could be.

Of course, most people think the music I listen to sucks...but such is life.

Comment

I'm not really too big on the modern rap shit where the singer I mean rapper says like the same thing over and over and over.for example "walk it out. walk it out. and fifty more times." when I first heard that I was like wtf. this ish ain't rap. now walk it out, walk it out, walk it out, walk it out, walkit out. walk it out. walk it out. LOL. hahaha. and I have to agree that I have been listening to rock a lot more lately. METALLICA ftw and AFI too.

Comment

REGGAE FOR FTW

rap needs to grow up AGAIN first before i'll buy another rap tape, i started redownloading riddims b/c all i came across was some dancing/singing rap songs

also do you notice that everyone is biting off another one:

example: the whisper era; how many people came out w/a version of ying yangs song

another thing is why is everyone coming out w/a dance-a-long song

walk it out, chain hang low, 2-step, etc.

i've also started getting into techno again......go figure
                "You don't have to be a Phi Beta Kappa to know not to strip-search a girl who is accused of stealing change,"

I did gagoogity that girl. I gashmoigitied her gaflavity with my googis. And I am sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by m-tec93accord
                  REGGAE FOR FTW

rap needs to grow up AGAIN first before i'll buy another rap tape, i started redownloading riddims b/c all i came across was some dancing/singing rap songs

also do you notice that everyone is biting off another one:

example: the whisper era; how many people came out w/a version of ying yangs song

another thing is why is everyone coming out w/a dance-a-long song

walk it out, chain hang low, 2-step, etc.

i've also started getting into techno again......go figure
                  yea whatever happened to techno, imean good techno too. its hard to find good dnb artists anymore.

i need to bash my head against the steering wheel and throw shit at people dammit.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

honestly i dont think rap will go back to the old ways b/c club hits and dancing is whats hot right now, NO ONES wants to hear actual lyricist spit a flow and make it a hit.....LIKE "ONE MIC" FROM NAS

EVERY LINE WAS HOT
                    "You don't have to be a Phi Beta Kappa to know not to strip-search a girl who is accused of stealing change,"

I did gagoogity that girl. I gashmoigitied her gaflavity with my googis. And I am sorry.

Comment

Yeah, rap's being used for club music, which is ok in clubs... but its pretty boring to listen to. There are still good, less popular rappers tho, like Nas or Common.

Comment

i liking the new rap music but to me i rather listen to the old skool shit. that shit that was hot when u was in high school ( that was back in 97-99). i mean i was listening to power 105.1 down in the city and during the day mainly weekend they play that old skool shit that makes me go crazy. cuz those classic songs back then was rap not what it is today. but r&b is the same in my eyes

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                          yea whatever happened to techno, imean good techno too. its hard to find good dnb artists anymore.

i need to bash my head against the steering wheel and throw shit at people dammit.
                          techno, house, trance, drum'n bass, etc. have always been good. they are just really not mainstream. the good techno, or trance or house musics are really underground and will probably be sold around small record stores that are still into the underground scene. there was one in pomona called GLOBE, but I haven't been there for a while. and I believe DJ mars has a record store in LA or san francisco. good dj's that you will find in normal stores will be like dj tiesto or armin van buren. but they are more mellow and not too muck progressive as to what you are asking for. I recommend going to stores and look for cd's that are recorded live at actual 2am time that were in new york underground scene or LA or san fran. I listen to good progressive trance everyday still. I use to have thomas michael's cd back in the 98-99 underground era and Thee-o (not the guy on the radio, the big guy from biohazard) his tracks from a few parties I went to (rave) and I had a tape recorded live from JUJU beats too. damn, the list goes on. I use to be ONe too. LOL.

Comment

i actually liked the first wave of hyphy stuff because it was different and just plain weird. And then we bay area peeps actually caught on and just whored the shit out of it and now we got people ghost riding their bicycles and skeleton hankercheifs/bandanas
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode
                              Yeah, rap's being used for club music, which is ok in clubs... but its pretty boring to listen to. There are still good, less popular rappers tho, like Nas or Common.
                              true that! I really like the GAME and his new album. almost thought it was Dr. Dre.

Comment

Working...
                              X