Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 86 LXi hatchback project (turbo, of course!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 86 LXi hatchback project (turbo, of course!)

Beginning on July 2nd (unless something screws up on me!) I'll have my new project car. I'm working on a budget turbo project for this, and I'm so excited that I'm having dreams about how to make things work (like intercoolers...) If any of you haven't read why I'm choosing this car, the engine (and the sweet hatchback look) is the reason. The A20A has a full iron block, so it is VERY hard to blow up! Perfect to learn boost on! Plus, if I DO blow it up, a new engine is extremely cheap.

I figured I would start this thread to share my plans with you guys, and maybe pick up some ideas! I'll be updating this first post as plans develop (along with prices and websites), but feel free to throw in your $.02!

-------------------------
    SHOPPING LIST
    -------------------------
    My first purchase will be another engine. I hope to spend less than $100 for this (with tranny...). They're not in demand, and I want one with high miles on it.

Next I'll get a turbo. Looking to spend $50 for a T3. I think I have one already.

BOV - DSM BOV from Steve, $50.

Charge pipes - I have to measure to figure out what I need, but I'm thinking $200-$250 when I'm done with em.

Exhaust manifold - $300 tops, custom made. Wikked is helping me on this one, I think. He talked to the fabricator for me already

Downpipe - NO idea what I'll be spending here, but I'm hoping the same guy who will make the exhaust mani can do this for me!

$75 for an oil return kit

I'm not sure what ECU I'll use, but if I can get an OBD-0 ECU from an 89 CRX, I might be in good shape. Lookin at $25 for that. Hopefully some of my Northern friends can help me with chipping it! If I can't use a cheap Honda ECU, I'm going to have to spend $550 on a modified GM ECU that will be as versatile as Hondata... Good stuff, but I'm looking for budget stuff to start!

DSM 440cc injectors - $50 or less

DSM SMIC - IF I figure out a good way to use it, $50-$75. Subaru TMIC - $100... IF i can figure out how to use that one! I may go unintercooled.

Exedy clutch - 10%-20% stronger than stock, $120 shipped.... for when I burn out the old stocker.

Fuel pump - Dunno what's good or available for the 3G. I could use some help here!

Gauges - I want A/F, Water temp, and boost gauges just to be safe. The guys at SCC blew a Civic up because they thought they were too good for a boost gauge... I won't be so cocky! Not sure what I wanna spend on this, but I'm guessing up to $150 for all of it (and a pod).

I'll also probably need some sort of AFC to play with. $200... I hope to find one cheaper though! $100 would be ideal! I'm told that I need one that can be set to -35, so the cheapie AFCs that I've found for $60 won't work (they go to -10). I know NOTHING about these things, so if someone cares to educate me, I'd be grateful!
    ----------------------------------------

Ok, so for now I'm looking at about $1500 over time. That includes little stuff like hose clamps, connectors, etc...

Ideas? Advice? Antoine, I know you're gonna wanna get in on this!
    Last edited by deevergote; 06-26-2004, 11:33 AM.

Sweet. Get some pics up of it. Sounds like it'll be nice.

My Cardomain

Current Score: Cops - IV Me - V
    Quote of the moment: "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
    Simulation Racing Thread i.e. PC, PS2 & XBOX

Comment

Yeah, I can't wait. Pics are already in my sig, kinda... The blue parts are the hatch, and the gray parts are the CB7

Comment

want a pic of it???

look in my sig.. tell me u fuckers figured out its my hatchie??
        im the only 3g hatch on here COME ON

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Yup... I wasn't sure if I should reveal that to the world, in case you didn't want me to!

But yeah, I'm flying 1000 miles to buy Carlos's car, and driving it back. I figure it's better to get a car from someone I kinda know, rather than grabbing a junker around here that has any number of unknown problems. At least this car I know the major issues (which are few, considering the age of the car) and I know it's in pretty good shape overall.

Comment

Yea!!! Looks good! I used to have a 3rd gen, an 89 LXi. Sweet cars... shame mine got totalled, by someone who doesn't know what a red sign that says 'stop' means.

Anyway, I do have some advice: go to www.3geez.com. The guys in that forum know a lot and willbe glad to help you with the technical tidbits of your project. Good luck, man!!!
            1 3 5
            |-|-|
            2 4 R

[ [ - ] ] ( ( ) ) [ [ \ ] ] [ [ ) ) / / - \ \

Comment

Yeah, I'm on there already. Surprisingly enough, they don't know that much about turbo. Sean is the only true authority on there that is active, and he has his own kit... so any advice given by him is "my kit offers this, here's my site"... His prices are good, but I want to see what I can do myself first. He's probably who I'll go to for my "real" turbo buildup.

Comment

http://www.gtplanet.net/gallery/gt4cars/e3gt407

Comment

Fawkin A! Thanks Julio! That just made my night! If I can't have my CB7, I can at least have my 3G! I wonder if they have a hatchback version...

Only thing is... When the hell is the game coming out!!!???!!! I own it as soon as it does... It's been paid for since March!

Comment

GUYS GET AS MANY MEMBERS TOGETHER WE CAN PROBABLY MAKE A PETITION AND FORWARD IT TO POLYPHOY DIGITAL we gotta push for the cb7 to get some rep and recognition
                    Henry R
                    Koni/Neuspeed
                    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

i heard end of the summer

Comment

The game will be upgradable, so it can always be added...

Comment

6 and a half more days!

Comment

Originally posted by empera
                            i heard end of the summer
                            i heard end of year, if we're lucky.

My Cardomain

Current Score: Cops - IV Me - V
                            Quote of the moment: "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."
                            Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
                            Simulation Racing Thread i.e. PC, PS2 & XBOX

Comment

Getting it tomorrow, woo wooo!!!

The car sitting in Carlos's driveway right now is officially MY car. I have plates, and paperwork saying so (and a weeping bank account that agrees...)

My plans for the immediate future include a battery (maybe), a torque strut (if I can find one...) and maybe a replacement blue fender (or I might try painting the black one he's giving me...) Then I'll be looking for a replacement dashboard, since the one in there has been damaged. Once that's done, it's on to the performance stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X