X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new BMW 3-series has no dipstick.

From July 2007's Car and Driver

Originally posted by Car and Driver
    Your readers should be aware that the refinement of BMW now includes only speedo, tach, gas, and mpg gauges for instruments. All other [calculations not shown]. During my time with a 328i, an oil can dripping into what looked like water flashed on the screen several times. I learned this was the "add oil" indication. Unable to find the dipstick to check, I went to the dealer. They advised me there is no longer any dipstick in the BMW 3-series except the M3 and that the transition started in 2006. There have been a few hiccups with this new engineering breakthrough. The sensors occasionally malfunction, and customers have added oil when they shouldn't have. I was told the proper way to check the oil is to return the car to your BMW dealership and it will put the vehicle on a rack, drain the oil, measure it, and then reinstall the oil in the car. Two dealers have told me BMW doesn't want customers monkeying around under the hood. In my judgment, this new technology paradigm by BMW electrical engineers surpasses iDrive for idiocy...
    Cool, huh?

Malfucntion is the worst enemy.. Overall , it's pretty cool.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

interesting, my stepfather jus got like a 330 hardtop conv or some shit im gonna check it out wheni get home

Comment

pure madness
        "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
        "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
        Disregard females, acquire currency
        BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

Originally posted by Car and Driver
          In my judgment, this new technology paradigm by BMW electrical engineers surpasses iDrive for idiocy...
          1992 Accord LX Wagon 248K/155 Miles

Comment

tisk tisk...

im a firm believe in fixing your own shit.

i guess if you have a bmw you have the time and money to have some one else do something as trivial as check your oil.... -sigh-

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
            Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
            NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

My new 07 cr-v has a indicator as to oil life... I thought that was weird, it adjusts to you driving style and tell you when you change it... up to and over 5000 miles depending on your driving.

3 months 3000 miles, oil life indicator or not... if they removed the oil fill hole then Id be worried... there must be a way to add a dipstick, its not like BMW completely ignors the racing market. Or maybe they are moving twards that "skateboard" car theory, where you keep the body and have the entire frame/engine/drivetrain removed and replaced rather than doing ANY repairs.

Maybe my mom or grandma wouldnt mind not knowing whats going on under the hood but I like to know, and I like to know its working at its best. You cant do that if a computer is making those desisions. People make mistakes, people make computers, people make computers that make mistakes.
              I cant Slam further. The ground refuses to get any lower.

Comment

hmmm

Yeah as a person who does their own oil changes (money permitting) I cannot live without that dipstick nor will I resort to paying dealer fees for some 'tech' to measure my oil and add it..
                Henry R
                Koni/Neuspeed
                1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

i think its just another way for BMW to forcefully take money out of you. i mean what are you gonna do when you have to change the oil? you can't do it and any other jiffy lube or whatever cant, so u take it to BMW, who triple charges bc its BMW. Thats 1 reason i like older cars, bc of less electronics.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

What the flying fuck?

Comment

Bring it to the dealer so they can charge you for draining and measuring oil...BS what is this world comin too. Its cool about the technology but being how retarded this is I would just weld a dipstick tube in the damn oil pan.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      I piss off people for fun.
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

when i found out about it also I was pissed...thats str8 BS!! When I get one I'll make sure mine has a ds.
                        1993 Accord LX - Sold
                        93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                        92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                        2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                        2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                        2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                        2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                        2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

thats fuckin retarted

My Members Ride Page

Comment

I agree with you all. When I become a big shot at BMW, no a money greedy one, I'll put the dipstick back. It is B.S., but I still love them. Benz be soin' shit like that too. Matter of fact, many car companies are doing stuff like that. Remember...

"Cash rules everything around me!"

- Christopher Wallace
                            - Fat Joe a.k.a ( Joey C***k )
                            - Shawn Carter
                            - Many more...
                            The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

cool my grandfather just got an 07 3series. im gonna check it out on wensday.

Comment

Working...
                              X