Breaking-in an Evo/STI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KillerCam282
    Usually the engines are broken in at the factory. This is why they offer such extravagent warranties. They break it in so you can't mess it up.

And they also come with like 200+ miles.

no, 200+ miles? not all the time....we bought our cadillac cts with only 2 or 3 miles on it.

Comment

They should be driving the cars very nicely for at least 500 miles, it allows everything to seat properly so there arent any premature failures. Your friend with the STI will probably have some cooked rings or valve seals before his warrenty is up, lucky him.

Comment

Rtfm.
        2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
        Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
        1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Originally posted by NutBucket
          Buying a car like that with 200+ miles means that plenty of people have already ragged on it test driving it. Most people avoid those cars and demand their car have less that 10 miles when they take delivery of it.

I'd say the key to engine break in, regardless of what car it is, is to keep the revs low and to vary them a good amount. But in general, as long as you don't beat on it for the first thousand miles or so, you'll be fine.
          It wasn't a car that was already in the lot, it was built at the plant and delivered in a week.

The sales rep explained to me that the Lancers get broken in at the plant. My ex's had 226 miles on it because they broke in the differentials. The engines are ran on a dyno before they are even installed. He explained that they do this so that people don't bring the car in the middle of the term of their warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Dv8
            They should be driving the cars very nicely for at least 500 miles, it allows everything to seat properly so there arent any premature failures. Your friend with the STI will probably have some cooked rings or valve seals before his warrenty is up, lucky him.

Thats what I was thinking, be easy on the car to let everything settle in properly. guess guy with the STI wont be too happy later on down the road

I'll tell me buddy with the evo to keep doing what hes doing.

Comment

I'm pretty sure engines now a days don't need break in periods or any time for anything to properly seal. Its the other things as I've mentioned like the clutch and brakes that do.

Cars like the new gen Civic Si when new, the factory limits the full potential before its first oil change.

Comment

Working...
              X