Breaking-in an Evo/STI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking-in an Evo/STI

Just wondering what you guys tink is the proper way of breaking in these cars (brand new or any car for that matter).

Buddy of mines just bought a brand new Evo and his friend bought an STI.

My buddy is taking it easy on her till about the 600-1000 mark.

His friend with the STI is already ragging on it with about 500 ( or so).

So which one is going about this in the right way? Any other helpful info to relay to them would be good too. thanks

give it to rocknricer for a day

it will sure as hell break something in

Comment

I wouldnt rag on anything new until 500-1000 mark.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yea, thats what I was telling guy with theSTI ( think hee had about 500 miles or so,maybe less )

But my budd is definetly keeping the revs under 4k till at least 600.

Comment

There are many different methods of breaking in an engine, some telling you to be gentle to the car while others tell you to take it to high RPMs. I would be gentle in the first thousand or two miles only because of the other acessories like brakes and clutch. STi and Evo are no exception, basic principle applies to most cars.

Comment

yea, Ive heard of those differen't methods of breaking in an ENGINE (like a completely rebuilt one).

I was just wondering more so as the car as a whole.

Comment

I would go easy for the first few thousand miles, honestly.

Comment

Ive heard of one where you rag the piss out of it for the first 10 miles then immediately go get an oil change lol, I think it was for a motorcycle though.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                  Ive heard of one where you rag the piss out of it for the first 10 miles then immediately go get an oil change lol, I think it was for a motorcycle though.
                  My Manual sais you arent suppose to go past 5k up to the 500mile mark, and 7k until you hit 1k...
                  H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

It was on some website I gotta find it again. Keep in mind this was like 1998 lol.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

personally my plan to break in a performance car like these would be to take it relatively easy, not bullshitin and/or showing anyone how big my car penis is for at least a month, i would take it around town to help the suspension settle, and let the brakes get light duty, putting them through their heat cycle to properly "bed-in" then probably hit the highway for some 5th gear crusing, nothing to stress the engine, just an extended period of low engine speed probably doing nothing more then 65-70 for anywhere from 20-30 min. once every week or so, this would give the engine and accesories a chance to go through proper (moderate) heat cycle while also providing addaquet (sp?) cooling. theres a rule that we had when i ran cross country/ track in high school, never ever stretch cold muscles, if your wondering why then go give it a shot and see how you feel the next day, that is if you dont immediately hurt yourself. warm up is key. but being a hunk of metal and not flesh then obviously its gonna take a little longer, i'd give it a month at least. but knowing me probably 2 months, i'd be too scared of breaking it too soon.
                      Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
                      Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

Usually the engines are broken in at the factory. This is why they offer such extravagent warranties. They break it in so you can't mess it up.

And they also come with like 200+ miles.

Comment

In moter trend or car and driver there is an article about the evo.

It says not to get on it for a bit (i forget the exact number) or you loose oil like none other later in the cars life.

The magazines staff waited for this period to end before getting on it, and they successfully held oil properly. The dealer says those that don't wait end up eating oil. So I'd say break it in...

However, my friend with his RSX-S said that some say to get on it so the seals in the engine settle... But then you hurt the clutch, brakes, and whole tranny. So he said he broke it in slowly.

If it was me I'd ask the dealer, but most likely break it in.
                          Click for my ride thread.

Comment

i broke in my engine by taking it on a long strip and gunning it from 3k and on for about 10 passes to settle the piston rings in.

changed oil at 500, 1k and 2500 and then 2500 from then on.

i also tookt he head off and the walls were very glossy with no scratches or anything, just the cross hatch pattern. i should do a compression test and i only have 6k miles on it.
                            (brand new from factory f22a6)
                            -wed3k
                            -:¦:-
                            Originally posted by wed3k
                            i rep cb7tuner all day, everyday. people say, "fuck y0 honda." and i say, "bitch, please."

Comment

Originally posted by KillerCam282
                              Usually the engines are broken in at the factory. This is why they offer such extravagent warranties. They break it in so you can't mess it up.

And they also come with like 200+ miles.
                              Buying a car like that with 200+ miles means that plenty of people have already ragged on it test driving it. Most people avoid those cars and demand their car have less that 10 miles when they take delivery of it.

I'd say the key to engine break in, regardless of what car it is, is to keep the revs low and to vary them a good amount. But in general, as long as you don't beat on it for the first thousand miles or so, you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X