Considering Straying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering Straying

Despite my other post the contrary, I'm considering straying from the 1990 CB7 coupe to a 5th or 6th gen Accord coupe.

I have nearly 200K on the odometer, leaking VC seal, oil pan seal, distributor shaft seal, leaky trunk, need a new clutch, don't have airbags, ABS, rust on both wheel wells so bad that you can see into the trunk, and in general have started to feel less than totally confident about driving it on the highway.

On the positive side, I own the car, and have never made a payment on it (I paid cash 7 years ago), it's reliable transportation and I feel fine parking it anywhere, (because if someone dings a door, it's a 17 year old car, with 200K on the clock), and my insurance is relatively low (and lower than it would be a newer car, because I'd likely have collision on a new car).

All that having been said, I'm interested in opinions on the 5th and 6th gen Accord coupes. I'd love a 7th gen, with the V6 6-speed, but that's out of my budget. I'm looking for reliable transportation again, (though EX, not LX this time), but something with ABS and Airbags. I presume the same maintenance issues continue - timing belt/water pump etc at ~80K (~$1000), rust in the rear wells - anything else?

Anyone have suggestions? It's hard to consider staying in the CB7 family when for an extra $1K or so, I can move up several generations, and pick up the safety features I don't have now.

well if you think about it you have for 7 years its more than paid for itself.time to move on who cares, you'll miss trust me every body has even i did and i didnt even expect it...
    People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
    The world needs to be reset.

Comment

The only reason I would recommend fixing a car in that condition(the rust being the only thing that sways this opinion) is if you truly wanted to keep the car because it held a sentimental value to you. It would cost only about $50 to do all the mentioned gaskets, another $150 for a clutch, and $20 to fix the taillight gaskets to stop the leak(supposing that's where it's coming from...check timmy0tool's diy also). So if it were just those things I'd say fix it. The rust is what would make this decision. Deal with it, fix it and keep it for a while longer, or just sell it.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Part of the problem is that I don't have the time or confidence (see skill/knowledge) to fix the seals, or replace the clutch. This is the first and only car I've owned, so there's some sentimental value, but not enough that could outweigh the safety and reliability concerns I have at this point. My mechanic who I trust a lot (I was last there 2 weeks ago) told me that I should consider just keeping the fluids filled and replaced at this point, as fixing things as they break (so long as they're not safety) is not a good financial decision.

I've been watching some 1996-9997 ~80K-100K Accord Coupes, and they seem to finish around $4500.

Comment

Any other opinions on mid-late 90's Accords?

Comment

all other accords are meh...whatever you dont get an autotragic
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
            X