Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uninsured motorist... Correct steps for legal action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uninsured motorist... Correct steps for legal action?

My girlfriend just got hit on the highway about an hour ago.

There had already been an accident and traffic was stopped, a jeep driver happened not to notice and smahed into the back of my GF's Camry crushing it and the car in front of her, along with his jeep.

She is at the hospital for back/neck injuries as is the passenger. Our family physical theripist said to keep in mind that 5mph+ is whip lash, and they have her in a neck brace because the hospital determined she had been hurt in the crash.

Now the cop told her that the motorist that hit her dosn't have inusrance, and he will be summoned to court and lose his licenes, and she has the right to purse the case but he dosn't know if she can get anything.

Anyone have some experiance with this and tell whats next, we have the doctor, the hospital record and police all saying she was hurt. is the next step the lawyer and the law suit? cause thats the only thing i am seeing.
    Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

You can try gettin money out of him but 90% of the time I hear people get hit by uninsured people they person gets license taken away and some jail time while you get to pay for what happened or something like that. I forgot how it works out I need to read up on it again.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Although jail time may seem rewarding i dont think it will solve any of the real problems like transportaion, college finals ect.

on the bright side, i have been wanting to get her to get rid of the camry and go cb7... unfortunatly her perfect 95 carmy coupe is now totaled an all that ass gets is a totaled jeep, jail time and loss of license.

Comment

Update: her families insurance will cover under uninsured so she will get the money from her car through that.

Her family is also persuing legal action against the other driver!

Comment

A civil suit is definitely an option... however, if he had no insurance, he probably doesn't have much to take.

Comment

Would the courts be able to seize assets, or deduct from earnings? depending on the strength of the case.

Going on the idea that he dosn't have much to take, hopefully he wont have much to hire his defense either.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMadness
              Would the courts be able to seize assets, or deduct from earnings? depending on the strength of the case.

Going on the idea that he dosn't have much to take, hopefully he wont have much to hire his defense either.
              Deev's right a civil suit would be the next best thing. I would personally wait until after the criminal case. Being proven guilty in a criminal case of the same nature will add strength to your civil case. I'm not sure if your insurance company will also be filling suit against him since he doesn't have another insurance co. for them to deal with.

I doubt they would seize assests and what not in this sort of case. the damage wasn't catastrophic and most likely you'll only be asking for an amount < than 20k for time out of work/school, pain and suffering and etc.

But definitly make sure you get a lawyer soon they'll probably have more concrete answers than your buddies here at cb7tuner.
              "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
              - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

seize everything that fucker has.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                  seize everything that fucker has.
                  ^^^ yeah...and his pet goat!

nah..on a serious note..I hope your girl is doing ok!
                  92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
                  My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

Here are the pics...same topic 2 diffrent threads

crash

Comment

Working...
                    X