Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im so fucking sick of seeing this on message boards.

THIS WILL NOT WORK. YOU ARE RETARDED.

any money you dont spend on the 15th, you will spend within a few days after, assuming you want to drive.

The only way to make something like this work is to boycott a SPECIFIC oil company. E.g...dont buy from Mobile, ever. if you could get enough people to follow that model for a long enough period of time, you MIGHT do some damage. of course, choreographing something like that would be next to impossible.

Also, lets not mention the impact that would have on our contries economy. The oil companies are some of the most influential corporations in our stock market. if we kill them, we kill the market.

We should just be happy we are not paying the prices that most other countries in the world are paying. we are spoiled.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
      Why do you "hope this work"? So the guy at the gas station goes out of business?

This will not lower prices. This will not affect the big companies. They won't even know we're doing it. The only thing that will happen is that that nice man in the turban that works 85 hours a week at his gas station won't be able to feed his kids this week. (not to generalize... I'm actually referring to the nice guy in the turban that owns the gas station 2 blocks from me )

When I started driving, there was a huge drop in prices... $0.86 was what I was paying at one time (back in 99... I was late getting my license!)

I said I wouldn't drive anymore when it went over a dollar... then a dollar fifty... then I was amazed at $2... now I'm paying $3.

exactly my point....its funny how some people complained back in the day..when gas was $1.10...now..its in excess of $3.00....

YES, the price is high...but at the same time....what political side is in office RIGHT NOW as we speak....remember when Clinton was in Office....what was the price for fuel? $1.90..$1.75 I think...now that Bush is chilling in the Oval office...its outrageous!

:

its sad that oil companies are GREEDY!

Imma say what my girl said...that made me laugh at first..then made me think....we could come up with an engine that burns on trash...you know.... we are smart..when it comes to these engines....we could all collaborate and come up with some system that burns trash for power!

trash= FREE

just go dumpster diving and get all the trash...

diaper gravy....old papers....etc..etc..you know and burn that as fuel!

theres got to be something we can come up with!
      92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
      My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
        I can't believe people are linking this to the war....
        People just want to blame someone. Thats how society is nowadays. All people do is bitch bitch bitch. Sit back and think about that one. Anyway people need to read about OPEC. OPEC basically got the world by its balls in the oil industry. They kinda have a monopoly over the industry even though there are other places that produce oil. They can do whatever they want and they are rich people. So before blaming people find out where the oil comes from before talking.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
          People just want to blame someone. Thats how society is nowadays. All people do is bitch bitch bitch. Sit back and think about that one. Anyway people need to read about OPEC. OPEC basically got the world by its balls in the oil industry. They kinda have a monopoly over the industry even though there are other places that produce oil. They can do whatever they want and they are rich people. So before blaming people find out where the oil comes from before talking.
          so these people are controlling the scene! ...OOOHH..ok

but whats stopping Bush from putting a limit on it...wait..I know..because the Democrats put that bill into motion and he vetoed it....

oh wait...thats right..hes got his hand in it too!..

Nelson...read up too...

hes part of the oil scene as well!

so hes capitalizing on this increase as well!

its not just the OPEC thats has a say in it!

theres laws that entail in the inflation and decrease of the price of fuel!
          92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:

Comment

Oh yeah, and when this war started....what happend...the price for fuel went up...alot of oil comes from those countries we are fighting with RIGHT NOW...so what do you think the person that owns that oil is gonna do when it comes to a country thats fighting with them...RAISE THE PRICE on oil.

its deeper than what you think Nel...

its not just a group of people that has alot of money...but I bet some money on it....whoever is the chairman of the OPEC or whoever that group is ( never heard of them until you mentioned them )

is more than likely a Republican

YES, Im a Democrat!

MR Thread:

Comment

And there's the Bush blaming...

As Eric said, damaging the profitability of the oil companies in any way will send our economy into a tailspin. If the government put a cap on the prices, the oil companies could just refuse to sell. The US relies on the oil industry to survive. If it came to a standoff, the oil producers would win. They can survive longer without our money than we can without their oil.

The ONLY real way to eliminate their monopoly is to use alternative fuels. Of course, that would also upset the economy. It would stabilize again, but at first it would be shaky. We could run on ethanol. We could run on vegetable oil. We could run on electricity. We could survive without any petroleum products whatsoever. However, that would be detrimental to our economy, which is why the relationship is how it is.

We are slowly making the change, but I don't think we'll be fully independant of oil in our lifetime... unless something catastrophic happens.

Comment

The war isn't really the cause... its the simple fact that the Middle Eastern oil producers are the only ones with the capacity to supply the whole world with oil. They set the price, and we're at their mercy. They could raise prices so that we're paying $15 a gallon, and we couldn't do a thing about it.
                you need to remember that india & china are emerging economies. that means in a short time frame there will be substantial amounts of people in those countries who are planning to buy motor vehicles and we will inturn pay for gas. while i do agree we are basically at the whim of transnational oil companies, oil is a finite resource and when demand goes up and supply stays the same or supply goes down even slightly (on purpose or not).. what do you think will happen?

we've had it good for so long we don't even realize it.
                Last edited by growguy; 05-06-2007, 02:00 PM.
                1991 JDM Galant VR-4

Comment

The ignorance is thick in this one.

Those who say it will not work are correct. They have also covered the reason why (you will buy the gas eventually).

What most people aren't considering, are the following FACTS. And these ARE indeed FACTS.

1) When adjusted for inflation, the price of crude oil has not significantly increased from the 1970's, prior to the first gas crunch.

It has increased some, but not enough to quadruple prices.

So where is the extra cost coming from?

Several places:

A) Increased gas taxes. If you look at how much $$ state and federal taxes add to the cost of a gallon of gas, you would probably fall out of your chair.

You hear them all the time talk about a $.10 gas tax here and there. They know you don't pay attention, because it is only $.10. And then a year later they add it again, and again and again. Pretty soon you are $3.00 a gallon and assuming it must be OPEC's fault, because they are easy to blame when you don't know what is going on.

B) Hurricane Katrina hit the largest oil refining region of the country, taking out many refineries with it. They aren't houses, and you don't just rebuild them.

There are still many that are not fully back online.

Why is that important? Our refinery capacity BEFORE Katrina was 100%. So loosing capacity meant losing supply. That means that the cost MUST go up because there is more demand than supply. The law of supply and demand. Economics rule #1.

They also had 2 of the refineries that got fixed go back down for various reasons. That caused one of the most recent spikes in gas costs. Supply went down further.

So, even if we HAD more oil, which we actually do, and pumped it ALL out of the ground, it would have no tangible long term effect on oil prices, because we have no way to turn into gasoline.

2) Crude oil is a FUTURE. That means that it is bought and sold on speculation. Prices are highly variable based on what the market THINKS is going to happen.

3) Due to increased travel demand, prices ALWAYS go up in the summer.

4) The middle east produces the majority of the world's oil, but they no longer have the largest amount of reserves.

5) If you truly want to make a difference in fuel costs, USE LESS. Period. A 9MPG SUV, extra and unnecessary driving, increased travel, not maintaining your car as well, basically anything that INCREASES your fuel usage keeps costs up.

Those who said to ride a bike were correct. That isn't using any at all. If 300,000,000 Americans did that, it would have an impact.

6) Prices are never going to be where they were. Why? Because China has 1/2 the total world population, and they are starting to drive. Driver growth is over 20% per year. In 20 years or less, they will have more drivers than the US.

That is a market that previously did not use a lot of gas. So that adds increased demand on top of what was already there.

Refer back to the Law of Supply and Demand.

The problem is they will have 10X more demand than we ever did. That doesn't include India, which has another Billion people.

7)Look at the bright side. I am currently paying $4.50 a gallon for avgas, and I burn anywhere from 10-20 gallons PER HOUR.

It could be much much worse.

You will see.

The funny thing to me is that Americans do stupid shit like this and expect it to have an impact, and then when it doesn't they keep blaming someone else, because it didn't have the intended result.

Of course, 2/3 of the people in this thread won't read this, and of those that do, more than 1/2 won't read the whole thing, and of those that do, 50% will probably make no attempt to understand what I said.
                  Last edited by owequitit; 05-06-2007, 02:11 PM.
                  The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Everybody needs to stop bitching and blaming people. Times are changing, gas is staying at or above the current price. Suck it up.

Another good post by oweguitit. Gas total federal and state gas taxes in NC are right at $0.40 per gallon. They are somewhere in the $0.25-$0.30 in SC. I live 20 minutes from the SC border. Whenever I am near there I get gas. It is cheaper.
                    Last edited by The G-Man; 05-06-2007, 02:15 PM.
                    Gary A.K.A. Carter
                    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

I get premium... and 21mpg. Not fun.
                      10-15mpg, from a two litre! Baha I win! Whoever said you get good milage from low displacement engines is full of crap Turbo FTMFL.

Comment

Alright, well all you bush blamers, just wait until the next election, I am sure a democrat will be elected. Can you just imagine how great the country would be with Senator Clinton in office? ( HAHA, YEA RIGHT. I cant wait to hear that she was caught with a muff diving chip-n-dales dancer).

I live in southern Houston, and I have alot of family that works for the oil industry in Texas city/Pasadena. I agree that it might not do anything to implement this plan, but why not just not buy gas that day? I am sure there is a lot of days that you guys dont buy gas. Just MAKE the 15th one of them.

It is a VERY easy thing, and I realize that those of you that don't want to, probably aren't going to do it! I just want everyone who plans on doing this have my thanks, and applause.

I am not trying to have a political discussion, I am just trying to spread the word, and sitting online and talking about how jihad ect. is to blame accomplishes nothing, and it just a waste of all of our time.

THANK YOU to all who are going to join me, and those that feel this is stupid, that is your prerogative.

Anyways how was everyones Cinco De Mayo? LOL

Comment

Seeing as how this won't do anything good, if my car needs gas on the 15th, then by gosh I'll fill her up. Tootles.

Comment

It's all just a cycle people, gas prices won't go down, this summer it will hit 4$ a gallon and the american people will bitch, it will go down to 3.50 a gallon and we'll stop bitches, than next summer it will hit 4.50 and we'll bitch, it'll go down to 4, we'll stop. Never ending cycle my friends.

Keep an Eye on my Coupe. Click the Pic

Comment

True on owequitits posts. Forgot about the natural disasters especially Katrina. I think they also found a pretty big oil reserve in Russia now too =O.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              I piss off people for fun.
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by dean_harryman
                                Dont pump gas on May 15th!!!!

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the myspace network, and the average car takes about 20 to 30 dollars to fill up.
                                then again, about 90% of all those members are teenybopping kids who don't even drive.

riding a bike would certainly help with the obese problem in america too
                                mrt - '91 frost white ex coupe

Comment

Working...
                                X