Everyone should read and think really hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone should read and think really hard

I saw this on another forum i am on and i think it does sum up the way we are towards some people. But i also want to say that i dont see as much of the "hate" on this forum as i do on others. so good job cb ppl.

This is an article from the may honda tuning. Ive underlined the biggest points for those of you too lazy to read the whole thing.

STOP THE HATE

I miss having a turbo car. Or maybe i just miss the time when i was building it. Back then, with little money, resources, or hook-ups to speak of, building homemade turbo kits was the only way i could keep up at the street races. I couldn't afford a swap, especially to build one, so i had to make the power via boost.

Getting the new parts was exciting then because i could only afford one every other month or so. It took me almost a year to piece together my first turbo kit, which added a sense of accomplishment to the euphoria i felt the first time that compressor spooled. Even though the pompus N/A B-series guys talked down on my turbo D i felt like i had earned the right to be proud of my blow-off valve.

As the years went by, my resource pool grew, and building the N/A Bs and Ks has turned into an everyday occurance. I gradually because the elitist that i never wanted to be. Ive been on the N/A bandwagon for so long that ive forgotten the original reason i started buidling these things: to go fast. Now my ambition to build cars is to have a cooler one then the next guy's. Only recently have i realized how much of a problem that is.

The honda scene is kind of self-destructive. We've taken a culture founded on individuality and camradarie and bastardized it into one based on brinkmanship and petty competition. Read any internet forum and you'll find that 80 percent of the posts in any given thread are argumentative. Is it the web's fault? No. Its ours for taking a resource with so much growth potential for the scene and not using it to its fullest.

A lot of us came from a time when we were a minority in the aftermarket world. When this scene first started we were dodging verbal (and sometimes physical) attacks from every other facet of the car world. You'd go to the tracks and see 3 out of a hundred people driving Hondas. You can bet that, wehther or not those 3 people knew each other, those guys would be best friends for the day. We stuck together because we had to, and we didn't care one bit whether the other guy's wheels were fake.

Now that we've grown into one of the largest groups of enthusiasts in the world, we've let ourselves turn into the mustang-driving douchebags that we hated so much, and worse, we're re-doing it to each other. Remember how bad it felt to hear some redneck tell you that your car needed a v8 to be worthwhile? How is it that different from telling a kid that his car is ghetto because he rocks a turbo D? In the early '90s you would have been inpressed by that same setup- what's changed?

There needs to be a clear divide between the 3 types of cars that our scene builds. We've got race cars, street cars and show cars, but the definition of these classes are blurred. Compromising one's ride purpose to appease the masses has become a common concession.

A race car's purpose is to go fast, it's ok to rock whatever parts you need to on a racecar to go fast, even if it isn't JDM or rare enough to wow the appearence and cosmetics forum groupies. The $1500 difference between a real set of wheels and a knockoff set could be a few tenths off your ET or a second or two off your lap times. Why waste it to impress people when you could just impress them by being faster?

Street cars are daily drivers. A car that we rock everyday should be comfortable. Why roll on some sick JDM race car coilover setup when there are street specific setups available? To be cool? cmon.

Of the 3, the class that needs the most work are the show cars. When this scene first started, show cars were extravagant. Bright colors, big wheels, crazy interiors, and body kits were the norm. I'm the first to admit that we went a little over the top back then, which facilitated the coinage of the expression "rice". This is one word that changed the way we, as a group, look at cars. Having your car considered rice is a fate worse than death. Over the years its become harder to stay out of that category because the limits of what is acceptable have gradually grown narrower. Nowadays, ever having a part that looks exactly the same as an acceptable one bad doesn't have the correct sticker on it will get you thrown in the rice category.

Personally, im over it. I think we should be pushing the limits of what is considered rice. We've got experience with both sides of the spectrum, so why not take some from colomn A and B? We'd end up with a car that is still in the ballpark of the aesthetic guidelines that we've enforced on ourselves, but with a little bit of personality, soul, and flavor. We're supposed to be expressing our own artistic talen and vision through our cars, not everbody elses. Use yours to show the rest of the world who you are- I dare you.

No longer will i ask myself what Honda-Tech will think abot my cars. When this all started for me, i built what i wanted and took the head from the haters with a grain of salt. When the hate started coming from my peers in the honda-verse, i started taking it more seriously. However much as i dont want to admit it, I'm just as guilty of internet hating as any of the rest of the population of e-thugs. I dont want to contribute to this anymore. Building cars to fit the mold of whats "in" has put a damper on my enthusiasm for them. I resolve to build cars for myself from now on

I think i want 17s on my EG. Say what you want about it- I dont care anymore.

agreed man, rice was cheap and it showed, now its about money, instead of a bunch of lights lol.

i want some adr m-sports in hyperblack 17's but you know what, prelude si's are cheap, light and im riding on 205/50/15's and it looks good performs excellent, and is the best rim for the price at that range. i dont care about jdm i dont care about rice, im simply taking a cb7 chassis and building it to what i think looks good, whatever you call it i could careless, i will call it my girlfriend.
    ]

Comment

Yea this was posted a while back by a member and his title was stop the hate lol. The only difference is that he didnt post the complete article.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

slight repost but a good read. I dare people to build THEIR cars to THEIR liking. Thats something you rarely see......I'm tired of asking where the individualism has gone.....you cant stop most people from hating(its in their nature). There is many variables to "hating".....it could be jealousy or it could be whatever the other person did with THEIR car is just not your taste but at the end of the day someone elses opinion on your possesion should only be an OPINION! I can speak freely because I've been on both sides of the fence(referring to the appearance of the Cb) and even to this day I get 'hating" comments about car...alot less now than prior but its doesnt bother me at all. When I post pics of my car is NOT really for feedback on what you like about "my" car but you cant stop peoples comments People in general just prefers to conform to fit in other than just be an individual.
        Last edited by Gemini; 04-26-2007, 09:25 AM.
        1993 Accord LX - Sold
        93 BMW 525it - SOLD
        92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
        2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
        2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
        2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
        2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
        2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Agreed with Gemini. Thats what I tell my friends build to what you like not what people think. People might hate but hey its part of it. If everyone were the same the world would be a boring place.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I build mine like I like it, yes I ask if this will look good or not, but I pretty much know what I want. Just like the tail lights my husband put on my car, I hated it so much, but you know what, thats what he liked, then he got his car and leaves mine to do what I want to it.

And my car is my work. I love my car

Nicole

Nicole
            MY RIDE

Yes, I am a chick!!!!!

Comment

I might merge the 2 threads....

Anyway, everyone has an opinion, and if you live your life to please others, who don't matter, then you are in for a long hard road.

I personally don't care which route you take, and I never have.

The only thing I pass judgement on is quality of workmanship.

If you half-ass throw something together, I am not going to respect you, whether it was a $5 part or a $500 part. I have seen both.

If you like body kits, lip kits, JDM, APC, whatever, I don't care, as long as it is done properly, and looks like you actually care.

Ultimately, even if you do throw crap together, then I still don't care, I won't take any of your advice into consideration, because clearly you don't know what you are doing, but it is still your choice to be able to so.

I think body kits and "RICE" got a bad wrap when it became more common to see an unpainted black body kit bumper on a white car. And not only was it unpainted, but they were often hastily installed and fit like they were hanging on by a thread (which in many cases they were).

Then when you add that to a fart can, and a driver who thinks his stock D15 non VTEC Civic hatch is the fastest thing on 4 wheels, you have the definition of "rice."

It doesn't help that those stupid people tend to rev on everything that moves, no matter what it is.

Of course, it is because of people like this that the majority of people think a Honda CAN'T be fast. Of course, that just isn't true.

And then there are those who will never admit a Honda can be fast even when they know it, just because they are close minded SOBs. Especially if you beat them at their own game.

How can a Mustang driver, or a Vette driver, or a BMW driver justify their purchase in their mind, if they admit that something as lowly as a Honda whooped their ass? Even if the Honda is modded somewhat, it still shouldn't matter if their car is that superior.

Most of the time they will just ignore you like it never happened.

In a way, driving an import, especially a Honda, is like the old days of punk rock.

You were going to be hated by everyone, ridiculed by most, and you were constantly going to be defending yourself from Rednecks, Cops, and those who seek to fit the "societal norm."

Punk rock was all about being who you really were. If you were a nerd, then you were a nerd, if you were a greaser then you were a greaser. It didn't matter, or at least it wasn't supposed to.

Realistically, there are norms and expectations that develop in any group.

Of course, we can parallel the development of Punk Rock with the development of the import scene as well.

Even though it was supposed to be about sticking together, and individualism, it became about being the same.

Punk Rock is now a style that you can go buy at Hot Topic. JDM is a style you can go buy at Password:JDM.

In the punk scene, if you aren
              t sporting the latest Hot Topic, studded bracelet, then you aren't "Punk Rock."

In Hondas if you aren't sporting the latest Chargespeed, G-square, Volk whatever, then you are a true enthusiast...

Whatever.

A good example of Social Norms is a Social Distortion DVD that I have. In there, Mike Ness manages to go on a tirade about "real music" and hair bands. He goes on to make fun of Poison, Motley Crue, and Bon Jovi, and then says "that kind of music, just isn't for us..."

The problem I have with that statement is that Bon Jovi is my favorite band of all time, and Social D is right up there with them.

Now, why can't I like both? If that is truly what I like, then is that not Punk?

Who was the group that layed down the norm that said both have to be mutually exclusive? It was Social D, not Bon Jovi. And Social D is supposed to be that band that promotes indiviualism and fighting for what you believe in...

I lost a lot of respect for them when I heard that.

Back to cars.

I have JDM parts on my car. I have always wanted something different that looked OEM, and gave a European flair. I chose only those JDM parts that did. Everything else is either other aftermarket, or USDM.

You can ask anyone who has known me since I bought my car, what my overall goal has been. Still to this day I am working toward MY original goal. If people want to accuse me of being a follower, fine. I'm not, and at the end of the day I do what I like.

Sometimes you have to follow before you can lead.

I hope everyone else does the same.
              Last edited by owequitit; 04-26-2007, 12:50 PM.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Yup, idk what people think I should do to my car. I do what I want to it and what I can to it. H.E.A.R.T. Honda Enthusiasts Against Ricer Trash.

Comment

Working...
                X