Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a new me...

Job-wise, anyway!

Last fall, I started doing occupancy inspections for foreclosures. Great job, aside from the whole "talking to people that are about to lose their house" part. I get to drive around all day, seeing new places, listening to music, enjoying myself... and every so often, I'd stop, spend 10 minutes at someone's door... About half of the visits actually result in me talking to someone, and about half of that half is spent talking to neighbors...

SO, my job is simple. It has paid me well for the most part. I enjoyed it so much that I got involved with another company doing similar work.

However... I have to pay my own taxes (that sucks!), and payment isn't always consistent. For those reasons, I really need to get myself in a better situation!

You guys probably saw my car salesman inquiry... I've decided against that, though.
    I've considered working towards becoming a real estate appraiser. It's a good job, always needed, and it pays quite well. That's still an option. (I also have a connection to some state-employed appraisers... now THAT is the job to have!)

However, I was speaking to my step-father the other day, and he mentioned me going back to school. I already have 2 degrees... an AS in Business, and a BA in Psychology (it sounds impressive... both are utterly useless).
    He offered to assist me financially. Not 'giving' me anything, but a loan from him would be more flexible and probably lower interest than anything else I could possibly get (yes, he probably would charge me interest... he's a businessman, I can't blame him!)

SO, now that school is once again an option, I need to figure out what I want to do!

I could:
    Take the classes necessary to become an appraiser (there are classes involved) and then find an apprenticeship (that's the hard part... though I have my connections that may come in handy)

Continue with my Psychology education (masters or doctorate, as I had planned) and become a counselor... Marriage counseling was my original goal, though I now wonder if I'd want the hours. Corporate counseling may be more up my alley, as I could work in a large office building and monitor the mental health of the drones... I'd have to learn more about that though!

Continue with my Business education (I may just go straight to masters level, making up my undergrad deficiencies on the way)

Get my teaching certification and become a psychology teacher... Teachers start at a decent salary, but there isn't much room for financial growth, unless I wan to fight my way into the political realm of the administration...

Or, since I'm getting fed up with leading a financially unstable life:
    Law school.
    I've taken law classes before, and I excelled at them. I passed my Business Law I class with an A, and my father died 2 days before the final. I arrived for the final exam for my Business Law II class, and the professor laughed and told me to get out... I didn't need to take the final.
    Now, I know becoming a lawyer is MUCH more difficult than a couple low-level law classes... but I do feel I have an aptitude for it!

Some things I couldn't do, that people have suggested:
    Doctor - bodily fluids are yucky
    Nurse - see above
    Accountant - numbers are yucky
    Engineer - engineers are yucky
    Retail/Restaurant - TERRIBLE hours
    Mechanic - 2 hours working on my own car for fun hurts my back...

Basically, I need to figure out what direction to go in... I want to make good money (75k a year at least... 6 figures preferred, with room for upward movement). I don't want to work a million hours a week, as I'd like to keep my marriage intact, and perhaps even know the names of my children when I have them!

So, the question is...

Are there any lawyers that work days, M-F, 40-50 hours a week?

Any suggestions, advice, etc... would be welcome. On anything I've said above, or anything that you think may be worth considering. I'm at a point where I'm totally directionless, so I could really use some straws to grasp at!

My only real requirements are:
    Daytime hours
    Good pay (depending on the job, I'd even take 50k if I could move up)
    Work that isn't painful, disgusting, or insanely stressful
    STABLE work... in my current position, that's an issue!

Further education = win.

I work in a hay plant. It is literally killing me, I dont know if I want to stay or leave.

People say that where I live is full of job opportunities. What a load of crap. Maybe at Tim Hortons (donut shop chain) but anything else I can kiss g-bye.

At least you have some good choices layed out for yourself. I cant even figure out where to start when it comes to school. But I am sure whatever your choice will be, it will work for you. I wish you luck.

Comment

dood, i'm not even sure what i want to do anymore.

once i got out of HS, i basically got a full time job to help my mom with some of the family debt. i'd say it's been about 6 years now since i've been out of school and my mother says that the family is in a pretty good financial situation and the kids are old enough to stay home by themselves. That means i could take take some classes or get a part time job ontop of my full time job.

choices choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Dv8
        Further education = win.

I work in a hay plant. It is literally killing me, I dont know if I want to stay or leave.

People say that where I live is full of job opportunities. What a load of crap. Maybe at Tim Hortons (donut shop chain) but anything else I can kiss g-bye.

At least you have some good choices layed out for yourself. I cant even figure out where to start when it comes to school. But I am sure whatever your choice will be, it will work for you. I wish you luck.
        True. I have no doubt that I will succeed... I succeed at pretty much everything I apply myself to (I'm lazy, so that isn't all that much, sadly!)

When you think of education and employment, you start to feel that there's this perfect job out there... something that you'll love. Something that will make you rich. Something that will fit neatly into your life. The world is your oyster.
        Then you look in the papers, and on Monster and Career Builder... and then you realize that no matter what education you have, what experience you have, there are jobs out there that you just aren't going to get. You see jobs that have some intimidating stuff in the descriptions. You see low salaries and unacceptable time requirements.

Suddenly, the oyster is dead and rotten... and no pearl. Ballzinis.

The perfect job IS out there for everyone, but it doesn't get handed to you after college. You don't just start low, work hard, and find your way into easy living.

I just need to find a target. I need to focus on something, then attack it with all I've got. I have yet to find a job that inspires me in that way...

Comment

I've considered working towards becoming a real estate appraiser. It's a good job, always needed, and it pays quite well. That's still an option. (I also have a connection to some state-employed appraisers... now THAT is the job to have!)

Great choice, I'am also an appraiser and would recommend this job for you
          as you already have experience in the real estate field. Depending in the state that you live in you can get in the six figure range with a steady work flow, and I don't mean 60 hrs a week.The first two years as a trainee is the hardest, and you will not make tons of money so try to keep a part time on the side for steady income. After you've done the first two years as a trainee and start picking up clients then you can go for your state certified license.( and make the big bucks).

MRThttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=84102 93se h22/t2t4

Comment

Cool, it's good to see someone has experience with that! I have yet to talk to an appraiser directly...

If I can make 35-40k for the first 2 years, I'd be fine with that... the income potential after those 2 years would be well worth it, and that would get me by.

Comment

I'm a real estate appraiser in Canada (well, I work under a supervisor, but I do my own inspections) the pay is excellent and you already know the flexibility in work hours and all the fun driving and stuff.

I plan to continue my schooling to acquire my accreditation (I already have the Canadian equivalent of an apprenticeship) and then hopefully take over the business I currently work for eventually. Hard work can easily yield 75+k's a year and the expenses in equipment are minimal. Mostly just writeoff-able auto expenses (can you say government funded performance upgrades? ) I say apply your abilities in law related activities to the real estate field and you'll be set.
              1992 Accord LX Wagon 248K/155 Miles

Comment

uslspct, who has become a friend of mine over the past year or so, is also on his way to become an appraiser, I believe. He lives about 3 minutes from me, so I should see what steps he's taking!

Can you do well working weekdays only? Or is it really necessary to work weekends and nights (I mean, if people want their property appraised, they should go by my schedule, dammit!)

I'm assuming O&E insurance is probably necessary...

Is it difficult to accurately determine the value of a property? Or is that where the apprenticeship comes in? I assume once you know the area, you can accurately determine the value of a property based on age, condition, location, and neighborhood growth (or lack thereof).

For my current job (the other one, not the foreclosures) I often have to estimate the value of a home... It's a quick 100-200k or 200-500k estimate, usually... and I put the big old ones and big new ones in the expensive category, where the little ones in the average neighborhoods go under the smaller one (relative to where I live, as this probably means nothing to you ) I wouldn't begin to know how to actually accurately determine the value!

Comment

you could be a drug dealer!

they make 70-80k a year if you do it right!

lol jk jk

lawyer sounds good for you

my dad has a friend who is a lawyer after law school its pretty chill he works from home and makes 120-140k a year

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                    uslspct, who has become a friend of mine over the past year or so, is also on his way to become an appraiser, I believe. He lives about 3 minutes from me, so I should see what steps he's taking!

Can you do well working weekdays only? Or is it really necessary to work weekends and nights (I mean, if people want their property appraised, they should go by my schedule, dammit!)

I'm assuming O&E insurance is probably necessary...

Is it difficult to accurately determine the value of a property? Or is that where the apprenticeship comes in? I assume once you know the area, you can accurately determine the value of a property based on age, condition, location, and neighborhood growth (or lack thereof).

For my current job (the other one, not the foreclosures) I often have to estimate the value of a home... It's a quick 100-200k or 200-500k estimate, usually... and I put the big old ones and big new ones in the expensive category, where the little ones in the average neighborhoods go under the smaller one (relative to where I live, as this probably means nothing to you ) I wouldn't begin to know how to actually accurately determine the value!
                    Our company works M - F and generally 9-5 with occasional earlier morning exceptions in town. We deal mainly with refinance appraisals, a bank lending on accumulated equity (right now values are rising locally, when they start to drop we'll be doing foreclosures)

it sounds like you do mostly drivebys, we do 90% full appraisals. Estimating value is based on the Market Value Approach using the local MLS service to find recent sales

Comment

The company that requires estimates is mostly drivebys... the foreclosure stuff is primarily occupancy verification with an interview if possible (thankfully, it pays the same regardless of whether I make contact or not )

So you really only make your estimates based on recent sales of similar properties? I figured it was MUCH more in-depth than that! Do you take into consideration the condition, age, neighborhood, etc? Or is that all the stuff that you factor into the comparison to recently sold properties?

Comment

True. I have no doubt that I will succeed... I succeed at pretty much everything I apply myself to (I'm lazy, so that isn't all that much, sadly!)

When you think of education and employment, you start to feel that there's this perfect job out there... something that you'll love. Something that will make you rich. Something that will fit neatly into your life. The world is your oyster.
                        Then you look in the papers, and on Monster and Career Builder... and then you realize that no matter what education you have, what experience you have, there are jobs out there that you just aren't going to get. You see jobs that have some intimidating stuff in the descriptions. You see low salaries and unacceptable time requirements.

Suddenly, the oyster is dead and rotten... and no pearl. Ballzinis.

The perfect job IS out there for everyone, but it doesn't get handed to you after college. You don't just start low, work hard, and find your way into easy living.

I just need to find a target. I need to focus on something, then attack it with all I've got. I have yet to find a job that inspires me in that way...
                        I understand exactly what you are saying.

Pilots are the same way. You start out making so little that in some cases you qualify for food stamps (not me because I am single).

Then once you get to the majors, or a good corporate job, you finish the last part making somewhere between 200K-400+K depending on whether or not you fly international etc etc etc.

If I were you, I would choose in this order.

1)Fullfillment

2)Upward opportunity

3)Work schedule

No matter what happens, you bills will fit your budget, so more salary = more bills. This will be exaggerated if you are forced to stomach something that you don't like to do.

Upward opportunity is good too. Ultimately, working for yourself is the only truly boundless opportunity, but there are others with very high ceilings. Business, Law, or a Counseling degree would all allow you to work for yourself.

You success will be directly proportional to your ability and your willingness and drive to excel.

Work schedule is last, because often in order to create opportunity, you have to be flexible somewhere. Bringing the product to the customer on THEIR time, will make you that much more appealing.

Also, the more skill sets you have, the more employable and desireable you will be.
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Schedule, honestly, is probably the biggest factor. Part of my current troubles (that I haven't discussed publicly on the forum here) are due to just that... an unmanagable schedule.

Fulfillment I certainly understand... great word for what I have been trying to get across. I DO have to enjoy what I do. If there's no passion for it, then it's going to get old... VERY fast.

Upward opportunity is important to an extent. If I can make 150,000 a year (which is moderate, IMO), I feel I can live comfortably. My wife won't HAVE to work (I'd like that to be an option, not a necessity), and we'll never have to worry about money. It won't mean I'll be driving Bentleys, but it'll mean we'll have all of our needs covered, and enough of our wants to make life enjoyable.

I'm currently self-employed... at the moment, I'm not thrilled with it. I'd like to find a way to work semi-independantly, while still working "for" someone. A corporate counselor, in the employ of the corporation, but allowed to run my own "practice" in that setting, would be the ideal example. That would ensure steady, regular income, and it would help remove some of the undue stress of operating a business from both ends... performance and management. I CAN ensure that the business runs, as well as the day to day operations... but I'd rather just focus on one goal.
                          My friend's father owns a heating and air conditioning company... he works too hard, IMO My stepfather owns part of a car dealership (splits with his brother, and his mother is the swing vote). He's always stressed. I want to be able to leave work at work, whenever possible. You can't do that when you own the business.

Comment

So you really only make your estimates based on recent sales of similar properties? I figured it was MUCH more in-depth than that! Do you take into consideration the condition, age, neighborhood, etc? Or is that all the stuff that you factor into the comparison to recently sold properties?
                            sorry, my computer keeps crapping out on me, i've been trying to put this response together for awhile.

we occasionally use the Cost Approach in addition to the Market Value approach, but that is only to satisfy the standards of a particular client, we don't put any real weight behind it. For residential work, Market Value is essentially the only accurate way to determine the value of a property. This applies to re-finance/equity loans and to foreclosures.

Of course, we do take into account all the abovementioned factors, they're vital to making proper and accurate comparisons to the sales we provide.

Typical Appraisal: Condominium Townhouse, 6 rooms (living, dining kitchen and 3 bedrooms) 1.5 washrooms, unfinished basement. Three sales within the subject's complex have all sold within the last 4 months... the first is a 4 bedroom model (somewhat bigger in size, requiring an adjustment) the second is a similarly sized 3 bedroom but has a finished basement (again, requiring an adjustment) the third is more or less identical to the subject property, requiring no adjustment whatsoever. With those three sales displayed in a grid with the appropriate adjustments, a Value Spread is created. Generally you place the subject's value smack dab in the middle of that spread, and presto! you have your value.

Might sound kind of cookie cutter, but that is how we do it......and if you ask a real estate agent for his "evaluation" he will do a dumbed down version of the same thing, but generally weighted towards a more optimistic conclusion to convince you to list your home with him.

Let me know if you want a demo of one of our reports, I can pdf it and send it to you

Comment

Yeah, that's be awesome! The more insight I can get on the field, the better...

Aside from the 2 year apprenticeship, appraisal is probably the most immediate field I could get into, so it is high on my list of interest. I'm 27 years old now, so I really want to get going on a career! And as you said, I'm already working in a related field, so it won't be an unfamilar transition.

deevergote@comcast.net is the address

Comment

Working...
                              X