VIDEO: 20/20 Stupid in America...a look into modern classrooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIDEO: 20/20 Stupid in America...a look into modern classrooms

...just thought u guys might find this interesting....

Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfRUMmTs0ZA
    DEVOTE

Dude I started to watch that and then like a couple minutes into it I realized it was 40 minutes long, lol. But it's very true about the schools here. Some great job Bush and his "no child left behind" did.
    R.I.P. CB7; hello spec-v!

Member's Ride
    FS thread: full part-out

Help me with my spec-V fund, buy my stuff!!!
    Degree of rice and performability are inversely related.

Comment

Originally posted by b-bomb
      Dude I started to watch that and then like a couple minutes into it I realized it was 40 minutes long, lol. But it's very true about the schools here. Some great job Bush and his "no child left behind" did.
      in Canada, we have been struggling with some new types of teaching techniques and text books...i mean even when I was in grade 9 we were taught with this useless math book that concentrated more on math games and folding paper than actual mathematical techniques and problem solving...it was a joke...

"no child left behind" ...is a great idea...but apperantly, it does not seem to be the case according to the above video...

yeah, unfortunately, the issues at hand could not be discussed and supported in a "couple of minutes"....like the problems in the education systems, the above video is long and tedious
      DEVOTE

Comment

Well, it's completely pointless to hold back children who can't pass a standardized test like the TAKS test here in Texas. In fact, the teachers pretty much only teach the test nowadays, and not the subject itself. It's no surprise that children aren't doing as well as in the past in multiple subjects when you are only teaching them basics that will "hopefully" help them in passing the tests. Our educational system has been going downhill for years. We need to learn algebra and other math earlier than, what, 9th grade? I say we should be learning algebra by 7th grade. Oh yeah, and a HUGE focus needs to be placed on writing and reading. I hate reading things written by teens and adults that have horrible spelling and have no grammatical structure whatsoever. I see it in college...and that's just sad. There's no reason someone shouldn't be able to spell and use punctuation correctly, unless there is something mentally wrong or the person is just learning the language.

/end rant
        Always remember that only you can make your dreams a reality.

Never forget that your style is all that matters when it comes to your ride, but be respectful to others who don't share your vision.

Proud Alum of the University of Texas at Tyler, Class of 2010

Comment

My mom works for the school system and under Bush's plan, students have to be able to pass many tests (being held to strict standards, teachers have to show results) Well, as a result of this, they spend the entire year preparing for a test, to make sure they key in the right answers, and thats all they have time to do. So kids don't actually learn anything persay, they just have to memorize the answers and pass the test. Meanwhile, the skills they need to be learning are "left behind" because they've left no time for anything meaningful.

I can understand the plan may be based on good intentions, but we really need some intelligent, thoughtful discussion in the government to put some good rules in place, actually teach these kids the stuff they need, and stop leaving the teachers behind. Being a teacher in the state of Florida, you'll make less then a burger man at McD's sometimes...my mom makes less as a teacher than I make working part time at Lowes making paint, stocking shelves. She made more when she waited tables for christ's sake. And she's been doing it since I was born (some 23 odd years) and she's taken more years of school for it than I can recall.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
          where you been, is something wrong?
          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
            Being a teacher in the state of Florida, you'll make less then a burger man at McD's sometimes...my mom makes less as a teacher than I make working part time at Lowes making paint, stocking shelves. She made more when she waited tables for christ's sake. And she's been doing it since I was born (some 23 odd years) and she's taken more years of school for it than I can recall.
            thats too bad man....i think teaching is a very noble career, they should be the most revered people in the world...yet, i don't think there lies a system which encourages quality education...

i remember my grade 9 math teacher making up his own homework and giving it to us just b/c the joke of a text book that we were provided likkd b@llz

for any of u who saw the entire video....what do you think about reducing the amount of money spent on each student...in North America its well over $10,000/student.

I remember when I first went into high school, we needed a gym, and we would of got one. The principle was a really cool guy and suggested that we fire the janitor system and the students take care of keeping the school clean....no big deal...the school consisted of only 20 classrooms and 200 students...

but there were HUGE opposition from the janitors union, the teachers union, and by the stupid students who didn't want to vacuum a classroom or pick up a candy wrapper....

i mean, how can $10000 be spent on a student throughout 10 months....all a student needs through out the year are books and pencils....fk pens and computers...they are merely over-rated forms of distraction

...ok...im going to stop now...
            Last edited by lokuputha; 04-07-2007, 02:04 AM.
            DEVOTE

Comment

Working...
            X