h22 regrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h22 regrets?

Would you build a f22a instead of swapping to the h22? With everything you have learned since swapping in the h22?

Personally I love the h22, its reliable, quick, and fun to show people what a h22 accord can do. BUT I would have rather built my f22 for boost or maybe even nitrous. With all the money I spent swapping in the h22 properly I could have built a f22 that be much quicker.
    Originally posted by deevergote
    ..It's not cheap to build a fast CB7, especially NA. However, if you're willing to put the money into the car, it's well worth it in the end. There ARE faster cars out there, but some people, like me, want THIS particular car to be fast!...
    Sold to:tanNn2koo,9tAkord,ThrakBarts,nahmo,andrizzle,or anger
    Bought from:93a-lude, bruno8747, soysauce

1993 H22A cb7 <3 miss you
    04 WRX stg 2 sedan
    Current - 02 WRX stg 2 wagon

I would get two shells and buy an h22a and an h23a for another haha. Screw the F lol but I wouldnt mind boosting my F if the HG didnt go out on me.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
      I would get two shells and buy an h22a and an h23a for another haha. Screw the F lol but I wouldnt mind boosting my F if the HG didnt go out on me.
      LOL, I kinda am thinking of doing that. Cept sticking with the f22 maybe a h23 head swap, cause like everyone on cb7tuner im am poor.
      Originally posted by deevergote
      ..It's not cheap to build a fast CB7, especially NA. However, if you're willing to put the money into the car, it's well worth it in the end. There ARE faster cars out there, but some people, like me, want THIS particular car to be fast!...
      Sold to:tanNn2koo,9tAkord,ThrakBarts,nahmo,andrizzle,or anger
      Bought from:93a-lude, bruno8747, soysauce

1993 H22A cb7 <3 miss you
      04 WRX stg 2 sedan
      Current - 02 WRX stg 2 wagon

Comment

I have no regrets and for that now I have a type s which pulls hard like a mofo.

Comment

I have no regrets, my f had a lot of miles on it, and instead of F/I the f, I'm gonna F/I the H

SOLD!!
          Boosted H22
          375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

The H22 is great because you get 200hp from a bone stock motor. No reliability or economy issues associated with the mods needed to make similar power from the F22. Assuming you have a good H22, that is!

The F22 has a LOT of potential. The F22 head flows better than the H22 or H23. Add that advantage to the fact that it's MUCH cheaper than either, and it's a wonderful project motor! IMO, the mods necessary to make significant power from the F22 present a number of potential problems... I wouldn't want to do that to a daily driver, though it would be great for a project car.

Comment

I don't regret the H22, but most people are unrealistic about what it is out of the box.

A stock H22 will get a fully loaded CB7 to about the 15.0 range. Depending on driver, you may see slightly higher or slightly lower.

That seems sad, but only because of everyone's claims of 13 second Hondas. ( I have seen VERY few that ACTUALLY run even a 14).

To put a 15 second car in perspective, that is about equal with a new Accord V6 auto, Altima V6 auto, Camry V6 auto, and a number of sports cars.

The problem with todays market is that you can get so much HP in a stock vehicle, that it is starting to overshadow the tuning market.

Back when people started modding the CB7 and swapping H22's, a 15.9 second car was pretty fast for a sedan.

The M5 at the time ran mid 14's, and most Bimmers, Camaros and Mustangs ran in the high 14's to low 15's (usually low 15's).

So here was a 4 banger NA family sedan that could run with some fairly heavy hardware.

But then the computers exploded, and so did HP.

It is like the Muscle car days, except that today is really the ERA of horsepower.

In the late 60's early 70's you average family car wouldn't pull of a 15.0-14.5, which the Accord, Altima, and Camry are perfectly capable of in various forms.

Nope. You average stock muscle car would run somewhere in the low 15's to mid 14's and the fastest ones, Cobrajet, 454SS, Hemi's, would typically run in the high 13's.

The new Mustang GT runs about that stock now, and there are many cars for not much more that can run faster. Hell, the 4 banger S2K can pull off low 14-high 13's if you are really willing to launch it.

The new M3 promises to be somewhere in the 12's and the Z06 will run high 11's.

This kind of overshadows the "power" of the H22.

And yes, you do spend a lot of money in most cases.

And yes, you do spend it on an old car in most cases.

But, you can't just get an F22 to be faster with cheap bolt ons either.

Below VTEC, the H22 is essentially an F22, and the stock tuning leaves so much to be desired, that in many cases the F22 is faster until VTEC.

But with the P&P head, cam, and some other mods, including tuning, Hondafan81 is still about 10HP shy of what a stock H22 that is decently healthy SHOULD be putting out.

He gets to do it on 87 octane though.

It really depends on your desires, but as long as you are realistic about what the H22 is, then you shouldn't have any regrets.

Honestly, though, the price of these engines is WAAAAAAAY to high. They aren't uncommon, they aren't hard to get, and they aren't hard to source.

But younger people especially don't understand the value, and thus drive the price up because they "gotta have it."
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I have no regrets about getting the engine, I just regret not doing it myself. My F was on its last legs due to a number of things, a teenage driver being one of them, so if I started really modding it, I might have a faster car now, but it would be infinitely less reliable. H22 vs turbo F22 to me pretty much boils down to "more reliable" vs "a bit faster"

Plus when people ask me what I have done, I can say "intake and exhaust" and not lie
                To-Do List for Today
                Be Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by mxcx
                  I have no regrets about getting the engine, I just regret not doing it myself. My F was on its last legs due to a number of things, a teenage driver being one of them, so if I started really modding it, I might have a faster car now, but it would be infinitely less reliable. H22 vs turbo F22 to me pretty much boils down to "more reliable" vs "a bit faster"

Plus when people ask me what I have done, I can say "intake and exhaust" and not lie
                  lol

Comment

I have no regrets on my H22 but if I had to pick a regret its gonna have to be the short damn gears, but shot gear is good too. later

Comment

Working...
                    X