No announcement yet.

my gokart project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would re-think the design and manufacturing of the roll cage. 90 degree jonts are a very bad thing structurally. the front left joint between the upright and the curved bar for the roof loos a little shady and the whole roof bar appears to be tilted. you would be better off runing a front and rear roll-hoop, and you really need side bars, especially if you are running a road course with other similar carts. you dont want to get sideways and have the person behind you hit you in the side with no protection. im not trying to knock your design or workmanship, im just looking out for your safety. here is a modified picture of what i am talking about:

the white is what i erased, the black is the rear roll hoop and the side bars closest to the camera, and the grey is the other side's side bars.
    remember, triangles are your friends, use them.

other than that, it looks like a blast to drive around a paring lot or something! if you are already in a pretty small group anways, just beef up the frame (a lot) and drop that f22 on there and have some real fun!

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

thanks for the pointers!

we're only doing time trials, so danger isn't a huge factor.

knowing we were all working with the same motor, and no power adders, we had 2 things in mind when making it.
      1. light weight
      2. low center of gravity

thats why we tried not to beef stuff up too much (besides the front suspension)

and here are some of the stipulations we had to work with
      •Kart must have a roll cage
      •Front camber, caster, and toe must be adjustable
      •Kart must have at least 2" of suspension travel front and back
      •no power adders or modifications to the engine (besides megasquirt)

If we were designing the kart strictly for a road race time trial without those specifications, it would have no cage, and no suspension, but since we had to adhere, this is what we got.

and yea the halo is crooked, so if i decide to upgrade the motor that whole upper roll bar will be getting cut out, and replaced with something undecided.
      The CB7 Timeline

Comment

Working...
      X