Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help your friendly neighborhood admin! (I think my motor is done...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help your friendly neighborhood admin! (I think my motor is done...)

Ok, so as some of you know (and the rest of you are finding out now) my motor is on the way out. It started knocking pretty badly today, and I don't want to risk driving it as it is any longer. I heard the knocking start about 70 miles from home, and it got be back here, thankfully. I won't ask any more of it!

What I'm asking for here is a little help. You guys know I'm broke (and since my job requires a car, I'm even more so now!) I need to rebuild the motor! I want to do it right... if I'm going to crack it open, I want to sleeve and run forged internals (not sure if I want to go boost or NA now... my options are open... SC still appeals to me).

I'm not asking for money... that would just be wrong. However, I AM asking if you guys can pull whatever strings you may have to help me get my motor built as cheaply as possible (with good parts...)

I can offer advertising on the site as payment or partial payment as well, for any company that can do some work or provide some parts. I'm sure a banner for a relevant company would be MUCH more welcome than the "Discount On-Line Pharmacy" banner that I'm looking at right now!

I'm going to need sleeves, pistons, rods, perhaps a crank... I haven't had to seriously consider what was going to go inside my motor until now, so I really don't know exactly what I want. I suppose that may depend on what is availible!

So, any assistance, suggestions, etc... would be more than welcome. I'm in a bind, and my CB7 is down and out until I can get this motor going good again.

is there no way you could get anything through your sponsorship? or is that no more?

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

i have a bottom end in my garage however no engine stand.
      it was getting 28mpg and p[assed smog when i pulled it.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
        is there no way you could get anything through your sponsorship? or is that no more?
        That's no more... I never really went through with anything anyway, since I wasn't able to participate in any events. Toasted clutch owned me

So far, from what I've been able to see, I'm looking at about $1000-$1200 for decent quality rods and pistons (with rings and wrist pins).
        Bearings, I'm not sure exactly what I'll be needing, so I don't know what the prices I'm looking at will be.
        A crank... I think I'd like to go with an F22 crank, if I can get proper pistons to avoid valve contact. I have no idea what it would cost to properly modify an F22 crank into an H22 stroker crank.
        Sleeves, I've seen Darton sleeves for about $60 each, and I've heard varying reports on how much shops charge to sleeve a block. I'd like to bore out for larger displacement (with the f22 crank and a larger bore, I want to be around 2point6's 2.44L... that's been my plan for a long time now, ever since he mentioned it to me).

I don't want to use crap parts... I want it to last, since I plan on putting at least another 100,000 miles on this car before any other major work!

Comment

Ive been reading up and Mahle pistons/Eagle rods would be fine for low/mid boost with stock sleeves. To use a "stroker" crank, youd need to balance/micropolish/knife edge/whatever or try and find a forged f22 or h23 crank. Assuming you want mileage out of it anyway

Then again, Im no expert.
          To-Do List for Today
          Be Awesome

Comment

do you have the money to afford the sleeving? Honestly i'd just get the mahle pistons and a set of rods and call it a day.
            Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

id suggest trhe h22 package from http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

also on honda-tech theres guy doing build a block packages...for around 1300-1500 youll get the sleeves pistons rods etc

or go to camp1320.com theyll sleeve your block for less than 1000 including sleeves...i belive your motor gets hot tanked and etc

Comment

eh, i wouldnt buy from that guy on h-t.

he posts one price, but after you pm him he gives you a completely different price.

also, for the prices he listed, its only off the shelf parts.

and id go with camp1320 for sleeving fo sho.

Comment

Originally posted by MRX
                  do you have the money to afford the sleeving? Honestly i'd just get the mahle pistons and a set of rods and call it a day.
                  I don't have the money to do ANYTHING right now But I'm hoping that by finding the cheapest route, I can do things the right way perhaps this spring or summer. Maybe sooner if I can work out some sort of deal with a shop (sponsoring my car, plus advertising on this site to replace the Clicksor ads...)

The Mahle pistons appeal to me, but knowing that I have a knock, I don't know what sort of damage it has already done to the cylinder wall. Resleeving might be my only option.

Joe, thanks for the links! $1500 for a full bottom end is a damn good deal... might not be the quality I'm looking for, but it's certainly worth a look!

Comment

You can bore the frm sleeves once, from what Ive read, and only like .025 or something. Then get the overbore pistons. http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1406865 has a ton of info on the Mahles.
                    To-Do List for Today
                    Be Awesome

Comment

theres nothing wrong with your sleeves besides normal tear and wear.

most of the time, when you hear knock its your bearings, or lack of bearings.

Comment

x2
                        1993 Accord LX - Sold
                        93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                        92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                        2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                        2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                        2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                        2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                        2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

if you cant get the coin for an aftermarket build im sure i can get OE honda stuff for dirt cheap. or if you need f series parts, i along with many other members i am sure have many engines lying around we could donate parts from.

Comment

Very true. F series stuff shouldn't be hard to find. My local junkyard has half a dozen CB7s at all times, it seems... and they rotate fairly frequently.

The aftermarket build is what I would really prefer. I don't feel like ripping into the motor more than once in the near future, and if I'm going to do it, I want something better than what I have now!

If I can find good deals on the parts, I can possibly barter for the labor.

The Mahle pistons aren't a bad idea though... if I go turbo, I may forgo the overbore and just run the mahles. I dunno... I'm still getting my thoughts together!

I just drove the icebox (the heatless volvo) and I suppose it's not THAT bad. Maybe I will just hang onto it and build the motor...

Comment

eh, i have no money for you. noone gave me $$ when ive wasted 1,600$ with 3 blown engines etc

Sorry

Comment

Working...
                              X