itunes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

itunes question

I got a 80gb ipod for christmas and I just now opened it and started messing around with it. I was hoping that someone who knows these things could explain how the hell to use itunes and keep your music in order? I cant do it for nothing, I dont know how I can get it to put the folders in the order I want and keep all the tracks in each folder in order. Its pissing me off, I dont want 80 gigs of jumbled music in whatever order itunes feels like putting it in. I want it to go by the artist names in alphabetical, then when you click on the artist names I want it to show all the folders containing cd's in alphabetical order. And then I need it to keep each invidual cd under a artists name in proper track order. Thats my biggest problem, all the tracks are completely messed up in each individual folder.

So if anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated.

Preferences->advanced->keep iTunes music folder organized.

if thats checked, it will keep the music folder organized.
    -Mark-
    CB7
    CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
    Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

just checked it and its not on. I can get it to put the cd folders and artist names in alphabetical order, but it still jumbles up the track listings. It keeps putting the song names in alpabetical order instead of going by the song number. I'll even go and look at the folder on my computer and they all have song numbers in front of the song name, but when its in itunes the numbers disapear and its all by song names in alphabetical order.

Comment

Mine puts em in order You load em on the iPod and see if it puts it in order automatically? I think the iPod itself is programmed to do that. And if you hit the name tab on the top it should put everything in order if I remember. I dunno I havent played with iTunes in a bit lol nothing to update on it.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

same tab as the other one, but the "importing" sub tab. if the box "create file names with track number" isnt checked, check it.
          -Mark-
          CB7
          CD5

Comment

I figured everything out but still have one question. Its not grouping the artist albums together under a artist name. Like I started at the beginning of my music collection in alphabetical order. So I have like 10 different 2pac cd's in itunes so far but it list each cd as a different artist. It doesnt make any sense, I'm looking at the artist selection and it list 2pac 10 different times, one for each cd. Why isnt it grouping all the cds under the one artist name? Its spelled the same for every cd, so why isnt it grouping them all together?

Comment

there must be a variation in the name somewhere. even an extra space at the end of the name will yield a different artist. try deleting the "album artist" field as well.
              -Mark-
              CB7
              CD5

Comment

with itunes mixing up the albums, you have to go to "get info" by right clicking on the song and go to where it says [ ] of [ ]. in the first blank, put the track #, in the second blank put the total # of tracks in that album.
                as far as the same artist showing up several different ways, itunes has no clue that "tupac" is the sams as "2pac" which is the same as "2PAC." the artist name needs to be identical on each one. the easiest way to do it is to highlight all the songs in all the albums by that artist, right click, go to "get info," and put the artist name in for all of them at the same time. it should also autocomplete the exact artist name if you have autocomplete turned on.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Working...
                X