My guide to MIRC -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My guide to MIRC -

--- I originally wrote this for another forum, 420.marijuana.com. but since i use this forum more nowadays, i thought id share it with you guys ---

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY ME AT 420 tech forum

wrote this because i noticed how many people on this forum don't know about irc. In short IRC was around before the internet. It allows you to chat and share files. This guide focuses on your ability to get nearly anything off irc (full music albums, games , movies, etc). IRC is really hard to learn so I assembled this guide to help everyone learn how to use mirc. When you learn it you will wonder how you ever did without it. Its better than most p2p programs considering there is no fake files, no spyware and most importantly fast downloads and no worrying about the RIAA.

Step 1 Download a client

Invision 2.0 is my favorite irc client. Easy to use and very straight forward. After you have downloaded and installed this client or another irc client, proceed to the next step. NOTE: This client is tough to find, I do have it if someone wants to host the 4.4mb file...

Step 2 Getting Started

IRC spy is a invaluable tool.
    IRC spy is a XDCC search engine. It searches all the irc channels in its memory for your search term.

Go to that webpage. You will notice a searchbox in the top right hand corner. Enter your search term there. For this tutorial I chose the search of "vice city". Try not to be too specific in your searches. If you find no results, check your spelling and try fewer terms.

Vice City Sample search

ifs-us.kicks-ass.net [ifs-us]
    IFS|XDCC|SYS|011 on #ifs Slots: 0/4 Queues: 19/50 Max KB: 410 Updated: 232 minutes ago
    #12 598 MB 39 Gets gta_vice_city_boxset-ost-7disc-2002-nirvmp3.rar

Note the color of the bot. If the color is green, the bot is online. If it is red, the bot is offline. Look at the number of slots available. In my example, there are 0 out of 4 slots available meaning all of the sends for this bot are being used. Queues show you how many people are waiting in line for slots. The more queues, the longer you will be waiting.

The #12 beside the filename designates the pack number. Often, one bot with have many packs offered with similar contents. In this case, this bot only had one file with the term "vice city" in it. To see all the packs offered on the server click COLOR=Blue]#ifs [/COLOR].

Next to the pack number is the filesize. This should be one of your main factors when choosing to download a file. If the file is called GTA Vice City and the filesize is 30mb, you know something must be wrong. This filesize is 598 mb, which is a good size considering what the file is.

Next is the filename gta_vice_city_boxset-ost-7disc-2002-nirvmp3.rar. After reading this filename we now know this is a soundtrack for the game vice city.

Downloading the file

Clicking the #12 beside the file will launch your irc client. You will now see your irc client opened with a window titled "Link Request" infornt of you. You have 3 choices.

1 Change servers and join the channel

2 Join the channel on the current server

3 Open a new connection

If this is your first connection meaning you are not on any other servers, choose choice #1. If you already on a server and dont want to lose a connection to that server, click #3

Now a connection window will open. If you are using Invision 2.0, you will hear an audio message "Connected to server" once you have succesfully joined the server. Once you have joined the channel another audio message will play "You have joined the channel". When this happens, you're almost done.

Now you will see a channel window (which is below the server window). In the channel window, in this case #ifs

At the bottom of the window click the chat box. Press CTRL + V. You will see a text appear "/ctcp IFS|XDCC|SYS|011 xdcc send #12". Press enter.

In the chat window it should look like this after you press enter.

-> [IFS|XDCC|SYS|011] XDCC send #12
    *IFS|XDCC|SYS|011* *** All Slots Full, Added you to the main queue in position 7. To Remove youself at a later time type "/msg IFS|XDCC|SYS|011 xdcc remove".

You have successfully queued your first IRC item. Now, if there are slots the item will send right away.

This concludes my tutorial and if there are further questions please post here and ill do my best to reply.

NOTE: If you are using normal irc 6.02 you WILL NEED TO SET YOUR PERMISSIONS to download any type of file.
    Last edited by growguy; 05-14-2004, 12:56 AM.
    1991 JDM Galant VR-4

nice, i was kinda wanting to figure that out. p2p stuff is getting old, and couldnt figure the irc out. If you wanna send me the file somehow, i'll host it for a while. if you have aim, my sn is aero3685.

Comment

Very nice... good job! I'm clueless (relatively) when it comes to irc as well. I know enough to use www.packetnews.com (thanks to cpmike for showing me that much!)

Comment

Nice... IRC is nasty sometimes though. Just be sure you have current virus defs on your computer.

P2P sux ballz! Just a way to get hacked.

Definate hotspot. It's just now making mainstream news as an unmonitored hell on the internet. Used it for years, but then it got to where you couldn't get anything. Now it seems free barter is back in effect.

Newsgroups is where it's at. Keep a lid on it though, it it'll be next to get axed.

My Cardomain

Current Score: Cops - IV Me - V
        Quote of the moment: "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."
        Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
        Simulation Racing Thread i.e. PC, PS2 & XBOX

Comment

I still don't quite understand newsgroups... Anything I've seen deals with MANY little files that you have to download individually, and then assemble into your file. I also don't know how to access newsgroups without paying fo rthem (is it possible to get stuff on a free one?)

Bit Torrent is still my favorite, but I'm pretty much limited to whatever www.suprnova.org has to offer. Kazaa is useful for some things still, as is Direct Connect. Still, those things are becoming very limited and flooded with crap.

Comment

I've got a "kit" put together somewhere on one of my computers that has everything listed for you. It's a little hassle to set up, but once you're done it's well worth it.

Who's you're ISP? You should already have access to NG's. Some smaller local ISP's block them due to content.

PM me and we'll discuss.

My Cardomain

Quote of the moment: "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."

Comment

Originally posted by akrodha
              Nice... IRC is nasty sometimes though. Just be sure you have current virus defs on your computer.

P2P sux ballz! Just a way to get hacked.

Definate hotspot. It's just now making mainstream news as an unmonitored hell on the internet. Used it for years, but then it got to where you couldn't get anything. Now it seems free barter is back in effect.

Newsgroups is where it's at. Keep a lid on it though, it it'll be next to get axed.
              un monitored? Heh man.. i used to be deep into that stuff.. so much so i wont say here. but.. There are fed's all over IRC and i know that for a 100% Fact.. just dont do anything stupid, because they are watching..

Comment

true that for sure, but they aren't looking for people grabbing mp3's like the RIAA was. They're searching for other stuff like pedafiles, virus spreaders, and other evildoers that I don't classify myslef with.

you're right it is monitored, i got out a long time ago too after i got my cookbook..:P

My Cardomain

Comment

Working...
                X