sigh.. accord is dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sigh.. accord is dying

well it's coming to the end of my first year since i have gotten my license, and i gotta say... the accord has been treating me well. but, it's hard to say it's almost over. my accord is dying... with over 350K miles on the car (90K on swapped engine), i'm just watching the thing fall apart. rust has over taken the rear wheel wells, some1 nailed the front-right of my accord.. smashing the corner light (replaced it, but theres still scuffs and scratches everywhere), the engine sounds weak, i'm not feeling the push off the line anymore, when i turn and accelerate.. the wheels click, the door panel speakers blew out, the trunk doesnt open w/ the key, and there is a leak somewhere underneath my car because the right-rear seat is ALWAYS WET as well as the floor of the passenger side.

alot of problems huh? i think it's time for a final run and blow the thing.. and time for a new car..

Click Here for My Member's Page | Free money for searching the web. Needs PayPal account

Nah, fix it!!!

Rear quarter panels would be expensive, but you could follow the DIY here on the site and fix some of it yourself. Then have Maaco do the rest for fairly cheap (wait for a deal, and get the whole thing painted for under $700, bodywork and all... if you get it started) The front fender panel can be replaced (certifit is cheap and good quality... check around for em). The bottom rust may need some metal welded to it... THAT could get expensive, but who knows. Take a good look. Rip up carpet if necessary! New molded carpet can be found for $120 or less. The clicking axles are $59 each at NAPA, and not all that hard to fix. I had a shop do mine, but with a little effort, they can be fixed. The engine could probably benefit from a good tune-up. Change the oil, maybe even put some kind fo restorer in it (ask accordztech about the best kind... he knows).

Overall, for about $1000, spread over time, you can have the car back to decent condition. It's a shame it got so bad, but hell, it's fixable! Then you can save to replace that tired old motor with an H22... $2400 shipped. cpmike, 93accordEX, and soon myself and 92accordDX could help you put it in yourself (at least with online advice...)

Don't let it die, man! Don't let it die!!!!

Comment

Re: sigh.. accord is dying

Originally posted by shimoto
      well it's coming to the end of my first year since i have gotten my license, and i gotta say... the accord has been treating me well. but, it's hard to say it's almost over. my accord is dying... with over 350K miles on the car (90K on swapped engine), i'm just watching the thing fall apart. rust has over taken the rear wheel wells, some1 nailed the front-right of my accord.. smashing the corner light (replaced it, but theres still scuffs and scratches everywhere), the engine sounds weak, i'm not feeling the push off the line anymore, when i turn and accelerate.. the wheels click, the door panel speakers blew out, the trunk doesnt open w/ the key, and there is a leak somewhere underneath my car because the right-rear seat is ALWAYS WET as well as the floor of the passenger side.

alot of problems huh? i think it's time for a final run and blow the thing.. and time for a new car..
      Dude I should see this car if your from Beantown hit me up with a PM we'll meet up. I live in Fall River but I work in Wellesley Hills.
      Henry R
      Koni/Neuspeed
      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
      1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
      made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

dying accord

the thing is tho, theres so many miles on the tranny and putting over $1000 into it is well over what it's worth. i dont even think it will go for any where over $500. i cleaned the interior a little yesterday and today since it was so nice out. this may b the last time i do this... i also noticed today that there are scratch marks along the front of my hood. i think this occured when my father took out the accord into the city and an SUV backed up onto it slightly... everything is falling apart, no good.

Accrdkid, i'll think about meetin u... we'll set up a time mayb so you can c how bad my accord is lookin. umm, im graduating high school soon so im usually free after school and weekends. PM me or something...

Click Here for My Member's Page | Free money for searching the web. Needs PayPal account

Comment

New hood - Certifit $43

Comment

How can you just give up like that???!!! I've seen alot of Hondas go alot farther than 350K on the original motor, and your engine only has 90K. Come on dude, put a little time and money into it and nurse it back to health. The body damage you are describing doesn't sound all that bad.....do what you can with that, fix the water leak, throw a fresh timing belt in and do a tune-up.
            00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

new problem

theres a bigger leak in the gas tank now from rust. i dont have the money to a new tank and labor now, and my dads bein ignorant.. the other day, i filled up the tank half way, the next morning, it dropped to 1/4 of a tank just sitting in the driveway!!!!!!

Comment

if i were you, i'd sell it because it'll just be a pain to fix all the time... but if you do sell it, you have be in the financial situation to get a newer car.. if you're not, i'd fix the major problems first like that gas tank... search junkyards

sell it if you can.. if a car like that would give me that many problems, i'd get rid of it

Comment

Dude, I think most people here have gone through the same thing like that before. Maybe not all on the same level but still. When I got my car, it had quarter panel rust, super negative camber and with that, crap tires, warped rotors, bad clutch and transmission(bought it from a girl), all ball joints were shot, paint is cracked beyond belief, headlights decided when they wanted to go on or off, and last week, I pulled up my carpet, and there's a rust hole in the driver's floorboard. Not to mention I also have the same leaking problem as you do(think it's the trunk not mounting flush). So far, I've fixed lots of the major problems and still had time to do some of the fun things to it as well. This is all on a twice a week plasma donation budget too. Fixing a car is definitely doable, especially with the number of them that are in junkyards right now. What kind of CB7 do you have?
                  My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

mite b leaving my cb7 and picking up a 97-98 prelude. itz still only a plan and nothing is for sure yet, but i cant wait.. i want a prelude =/ but i will miss my cb7, which introduced me to driving and everything i kno today about it

Comment

CB7 = OBD I
                      97-98 Prelude = OBD II

The CB7 is MUCH easier to modify... I'd say stick to the CB7 and just put a 92-95 Prelude engine into it

Comment

Pick up an Accord from the West Coast and use your current car for parts. No joke. West coast cars have little to no corrosion.

Comment

i have no way to get to the west coast right now, im about to go to college and need time to get thingz in order.. no time to go that far for car hunting

Comment

RI and CT cars are good to buy. My Grandma's 94 Taurus is in mint, and she's from Hartford.

Comment

Find a car from somewhere where it doesn't snow much and the humidity is relatively low, such as CA, AZ, NM, TX, and the like. Avoid MO, LA, FL, NC, and anywhere that flooding and/or hurricanes can get to cars. Water damage is a big no-no. Anywhere they use salt on the roads when it snows can lead to problems later on. My last trip to OH I saw many cars less than 15 yrs old with rusted out lower door panels and fenders, mostly American cars, but it can any happen to any make or model.
                              Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                              2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                              2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                              2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Working...
                              X