X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

microsoft flight simulator paid off for this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pIVjKoUewc

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic
    wow this one is good too.... I think its the same plane....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnL4KYVtDE&NR

My Members Ride Thread ( Do It )

Comment

if you read the comments says something about a ''crosswind'' landing..whatever that is..im gonna have to google that.

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic
        if you read the comments says something about a ''crosswind'' landing..whatever that is..im gonna have to google that.
        haha....

My Members Ride Thread ( Do It )

Comment

:O wow that's intnese!, that looks so scarey how they come in soo fast. thats a hard impact on the left tires wow, they do that thousands of times a day around international flights.

haha, the chinese peeps are going "wahhhh"
          Last edited by tommi; 12-24-2006, 02:45 PM.
          <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

It's called "wind-shear" and BOEING performs some crazy test landings during insane windshear situations....
            1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

LOL!

Good vids.

A crosswind landing is simply a landing where the wind is not blowing straight down the runway.

Usually, on final approach, if the wind is heavy, the airplane will "crab" into the wind.

This is just basically when the airplane is flying with the nose pointed in one direction and the airplane is flying in another. It is basically vector addition to get the airplane to cancel the wind and fly straight down the centerline of the runway.

You can see in the video that the plane does not appear to be lined up with the centerline.

That is because it is "crabbed" into the wind, so even though the nose is not flying in the direction of the runway, the airplane is.

Then, just before touchdown, you will notice that the pilot drops the upwind wing and straightens the nose to align with the centerline. This is known as a sideslip.

This has the same effect as a "crab", but requires more control force and input, so usually the pilots will make this transition just before touchdown, to save their legs (the rudders get heavy in a slip).

This also allows the airplane to land with the nose going in the same direction as the runway, for obvious reasons.

That particular approach was being flown into Kai Tak, which used to be the big airport for Hong Kong, and was located right on Kowloon Bay.

Very tricky approach, because it required the pilots to fly straight towards a big hill with red and white checkers painted on it, and then at the last minute, they had to make a hard turn at low altitude to get aligned with the runway and land.

All in a plane that weighs 600,000 lbs and is traveling around 200MPH.

It was a famous approach.

That runway is actually over 10,000 feet long.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

i think ive been on that runway when i was little going to HK
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Owequitit, you really know a lot about a lot of different things.

That was a very interesting landing, and a nicely skilled pilot.
                  Always remember that only you can make your dreams a reality.

Never forget that your style is all that matters when it comes to your ride, but be respectful to others who don't share your vision.

Proud Alum of the University of Texas at Tyler, Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by f22a4bandit
                    Owequitit, you really know a lot about a lot of different things.

That was a very interesting landing, and a nicely skilled pilot.

Thanks,

But this is really my area of expertise.

I am a Commercial Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                      then i must ask you if you've ever heard of a Jesus Nut. later.
                      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Thanks,

I am a Commercial Pilot
                        Haha, alright, cool! You still do know a lot (politics, environment, etc.).
                        Always remember that only you can make your dreams a reality.

Never forget that your style is all that matters when it comes to your ride, but be respectful to others who don't share your vision.

Proud Alum of the University of Texas at Tyler, Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                          then i must ask you if you've ever heard of a Jesus Nut. later.

Well, I don't know it specifically.

It seems to me that it would be the last nut holding things together when something has gone wrong, and you are praying to Jesus that it doesn't let go...

Comment

Originally posted by f22a4bandit
                            Haha, alright, cool! You still do know a lot (politics, environment, etc.).
                            LOL!

Thanks!

Comment

Well, I don't know it specifically.

It seems to me that it would be the last nut holding things together when something has gone wrong, and you are praying to Jesus that it doesn't let go...
                              yeah, you're pretty much right. it was the nut that held on the blades of the MASH style helicopters. later.
                              Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Working...
                              X