Rear drums >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rear discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear drums >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rear discs

I know this should be in the Brakes subforum of the Suspension forum but who goes there besides people w/brake problems???

Anyways rear discs are a hassle and not worth the extra effort. h22sparkle's car stops much better than mine, and doing the rear suspension is 1000000000x easier w/o all that lame disc hardware in the way. Drums+AEM front BBK FTW!!!

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

thanks for the info
    1993 Accord LX - Sold
    93 BMW 525it - SOLD
    92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
    2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
    2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
    2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
    2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

I'd have to disagree.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
      where you been, is something wrong?
      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

so rear disc aren't worth it?? care to further explain?

Click ^^^ for MR Thread
        Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
        by the way, arguing on the net is like womens basketball, even if you win, no one cares.

Comment

Originally posted by papychulo82
          so rear disc aren't worth it?? care to further explain?
          The bulk of our braking is done by the front brakes...honestly, outside of cosmetics I don't think there is much benefit to the stock rear disc swap. Plus suspension work is much easier w/drums...

Originally posted by lordoja
          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

agreed. and even cisco can vouche for this too. they help out more with cosmetics than they do breaking.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Very true. Discs are good, and easier to work with... but drums stop the car just fine. Fronts are the main brakes anyway.

I'm sure when it comes to extreme performance that the discs will be more valuable, but 99% of the people here will never make their cars so extreme that rear discs won't be useful.

However, they are ugly as sin.

Comment

Discs disipate heat much better, and I DO drive hard enough on occasion to notice that.

Plus, it is easier to change pads than shoes.

And having had both, I don't really notice much of a difference in total stopping power, but since I haven't changed the prop valve yet, you can feel the rears grab just a fraction sooner than the fronts when you are braking sometimes.

There aren't only disadvantages to disc, or they never would have been mass produced.

Your disadvantage or perceived braking deficiency is most likely caused by worn components or crappy brake pads.
                The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I have to say yes it's true that the majority of a FWD stopping is done by the front, but in thoes times when you have to slam on the brakes, I'd much rather have disc in the rear then some shoes.

ANd besides, they look better and are easier to change.
                  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

After upgrading from rear drums to discs, plus the 40/40 prop valve, ABS BMC and the brake booster, I definitely feel a better balance when braking..Less nose dive, and it's nice to actually have SOME braking force in the rear..Before that, the fronts used to do most the braking..Granted, upgrading your front brakes will also give a huge improvement in braking characteristics..But I dunno, ever since the upgrade, I've been in love with the way my car stops..Definitely better distribution..The car stops much better than before, with less stress on the front brakes..If that even makes sense.. (It's 2:10am ) But I do push my car hard, and so far, the rear discs have been nothing but good to me

But yeah, definitely worth it, 'coz I had to choose to either rebuild my drums, or do the conversion..For the same price, I'd rather get something that works better, looks better, and easier to maintain as well I don't find the suspension work to be harder either, feels the same to me..Oh and did I say that it works better?

Rear discs + ATR front BBK FTW

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R
                      After upgrading from rear drums to discs, plus the 40/40 prop valve, ABS BMC and the brake booster, I definitely feel a better balance when braking..Less nose dive, and it's nice to actually have SOME braking force in the rear..Before that, the fronts used to do most the braking..Granted, upgrading your front brakes will also give a huge improvement in braking characteristics..But I dunno, ever since the upgrade, I've been in love with the way my car stops..Definitely better distribution..The car stops much better than before, with less stress on the front brakes..If that even makes sense.. (It's 2:10am ) But I do push my car hard, and so far, the rear discs have been nothing but good to me

But yeah, definitely worth it, 'coz I had to choose to either rebuild my drums, or do the conversion..For the same price, I'd rather get something that works better, looks better, and easier to maintain as well I don't find the suspension work to be harder either, feels the same to me..Oh and did I say that it works better?

Rear discs + ATR front BBK FTW

Ronald
                      x2 god fucking damnit he's right

and im drunk

but discs are better

hey fuckass get me a beer

Comment

ehhhh no. Discs > drums.

If you're not into performance then drums will suffice but who's to say you won't need to hit the brakes suddenly. Look at cars around you, disc brakes come standard on the sportier and luxury versions. In addition to the already stated pros, you can set up a big brake upgrade in the rear along with a proportioning valve to skid the car if you wish.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Yes..drums > discs..must be why race cars/sports cars/modern cars have four wheel disc brakes..must be why the original Plymouth Roadrunner had four wheel drum brakes and had horrible stopping power.
                          To-Do List for Today
                          Be Awesome

Comment

so glory .. you have an ex so you come stock with the rear disc.. so what you are telling us is you are gonna do a disc to drum conversion diy

h22 may brake better because he is gutted... isnt he

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R
                              I definitely feel a better balance when braking..
                              he said it right there. BALANCE is the key and the reason for disc brakes. sheer braking torque is not greatly effected, (since sometimes 90% of braking is done by the front brakes). but the balance between front and rear braking is FAR superior with rear disks than it is with drums. Disc brakes also handle heat much better as Scott pointed out. instead of keeping all the heat inside a drum, the vines in a rotor act as a "fan" to both push hot air out, and pull colder air in.

the bottom line is that 4 wheel disc brakes offer superior braking, especially under intense braking (such as racing). the only reason most cars have a front disc/rear drum combo is because this is sufficient for the average person, and rear drums are a lot cheaper to produce.

look at ANY high performance vehicles (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, F1, Nascar, WRC, etc...). tell me if you find rear drums on any of those cars.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Working...
                              X