No announcement yet.

Waiting a year in between high school and college

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to break the chain (sort of), but I have a bit of a hybrid view on things.

1) I took a year off. I really wanted to fly airplanes, but couldn't afford it, so I figured I would think about it. Next thing I know, it was a year later. This is the pitfall that catches most people. You figure, "I'll just work while I figure stuff out." Next thing you know, you wake up one morning and 10 years have gone by and you haven't done anything along the lines of what you wanted. Time goes by with or without you, so you must plan carefully, and think ahead, but not sacrifice the opportunities of today either.

Hey, nobody said life was easy.

Anyway, back to the story.

My dad finally pushed me to apply and to go for financial aid because he knew I hated my job, and really wanted to go, but was afraid of the money. He also knew that the longer I waited, the less likely I was to go. He didn't want me to end up like him and wake up at 45 one day, realizing that half of my life had been wasted.

2) I applied, I went, and am now a month or two away from completion. I have one independent study course, and the actual flight training for my Commercial Certificate. I owe everybody a boat load of money, 10X more than many people kill themselves for; but at least I am doing what I love.

Even though it created a whole bunch of new obstacles, I would rather do what I love and owe everybody money, than to force myself into servitude in some field that I hate. You may as well be dead if you have to live like that. Maybe that is why so many people on this planet are miserable.

The reason I started out with a story like this is because like most things, there are advantages and disadvantages to each.

I agree with Deev in that you should at least take some CC classes. Most CCs offer a variety of courses that will allow you to get your feet wet and figure out what it is that you like to do, and it is cheap and close to home. It will also keep you in the school mentality like everyone else said.

This is a very good thing, because you can quickly burn through large sums of money and time if you just truck off to University and don't know what you want to do. I have seen it many times. Most of your classes will be required study, so even if you don't like them, you will have to take them.

On your dime at a CC, you could maybe take 1 general ed class per semester, to count toward a full degree, and one elective that you think interests you. After a few semesters, you will quickly get a feel for what you like or don't like.

You can also work while taking classes, which will allow you to not have to commit to the Top Ramen and PB&J diet of the average college student.

Once you have a feel for what you like, then you can start looking for schools that are good for what you want. They are like people, they all have strengths and weaknesses...

Plus, the addition of good college transcripts (I assume you would work toward good grades) gives you an opportunity to bolster any weak areas you had in your high school transcripts, which may allow you to get into a school you may not have been accepted to in the first place, or maybe get you additional grants and scholarships.

If you ask yourself about your interests and pursue them, this process could be as little as 2 semesters, maybe less. It isn't necessarily a 10 year thing.

I was lucky in that I knew what I wanted to do from about the age of 6. Most people don't have that luxury. You need to get to know yourself, and then go full bore towards what you want. You will change and adapt as you get older, but your education can change and adapt with you. You should never stop learning.

The year off ended up being a good thing for me, because it gave me an opportunity to exist in the real world long enough to understand the responsibilities of being an adult and having duties that HAD to get done.

That helped me manage the responsibility of school when I finally got here. It also focused my attention in mostly the right direction, because I knew I didn't want to stay where I was.

Of course, I did learn a lot once I got here, and I drank a lot, and was distracted by girls. But that is all par for the course.

I guess in a round about way, I am trying to say that you should get yourself moving in the approximate correct heading, and then refine it from there.

The world is your oyster, but you have to be willing and focused enough to go get it, because nobody is going to give it to you.

Good Luck, and I hope everything works out well for you.

Most schools have already started, and the application process normally take at least a few months, so at this point you are probably going to have to wait about a year anyway, at least a semester.

Also, I am not a Financial Aid counselor, but if you have any funding questions, I would be happy to try and send you in the right direction. I have probably dealt with everyone that you have heard of. LOL!
    Last edited by owequitit; 09-01-2006, 02:07 AM.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I actually DID take a semester or two off within my 6 years at school I also took a few one-class semesters. Finally, I also took some overloaded semesters.

It's especially hard to go back when you don't have a clue as to what you really want to do. I spent 4 years in CC because of that. I started going with nothing in mind... leaned towards Psychology because it was my favorite class. Then I decided I wanted to make video games, so I tried to make my own curriculum there... computers, art, music... got tired of that really quick! So I went straight computers... and the advanced stuff crushed me. I finally settled on business. I killed it in business law, and I really enjoyed it. I eventually got my AS in business, and went on to Rutgers School of Business. After spending 2.5 years at Rutgers for business, I graduated with a Psychology degree. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
        I actually DID take a semester or two off within my 6 years at school I also took a few one-class semesters. Finally, I also took some overloaded semesters.

It's especially hard to go back when you don't have a clue as to what you really want to do. I spent 4 years in CC because of that. I started going with nothing in mind... leaned towards Psychology because it was my favorite class. Then I decided I wanted to make video games, so I tried to make my own curriculum there... computers, art, music... got tired of that really quick! So I went straight computers... and the advanced stuff crushed me. I finally settled on business. I killed it in business law, and I really enjoyed it. I eventually got my AS in business, and went on to Rutgers School of Business. After spending 2.5 years at Rutgers for business, I graduated with a Psychology degree. Go figure.
        Go figure, you go with what you love. I've thought about taking a semester off, but I've learned that working during the summer break is plenty of time to work in the real world. I've already worked a blue collar job (basically moving stuff in and out of military bases), and I've seen what it would be like if I never went to college/dropped out (not that I thought about dropping out, mind you). I don't want to live making only $9-$12 an hour with limited jobs during the year. Yeah, $9-$12 an hour is great when you're working during the summer, but it's not so great when you're out on your own. I learned a lot in the couple of months that I worked that job, and it was a great experience. Just go to school, work a couple of shitty jobs during the year/summer, and graduate. However, study something that you love to do, like Deev, and I'll bet you enjoy the rest of your life with no regrets. I have a friend that is finally going back to school (well, CC, but at least it's something) after failing out pretty much on purpose 1 1/2 years ago. He worked some shitty jobs, quit those, and found it hard to live (no income = no food/rent) and started leaching off of our mutual friend. He finally listened to his parents and is starting to "do something" with his life.
        Always remember that only you can make your dreams a reality.

Never forget that your style is all that matters when it comes to your ride, but be respectful to others who don't share your vision.

Proud Alum of the University of Texas at Tyler, Class of 2010

Comment

My year off is already having the intended effect. I hate working at Wal-Mart every day. It's crap. I get paid $5.80/hr to do some hard ass labor (inventory control) and working with people who are in their 40s and 50s who have never worked anywhere better than Walmart gives me more drive to go to college. Also, I started working at Walmart in the summer and there were a few kids who were back home from college working, and they told me tons of stories and it made me want to go that much more.

Everyone in my family thinks I'm never going to go to college, but that also gives me more drive just to prove them wrong.

I miss the school routine, and I look forwards to going back to it.

As for community college there's only one CC around here (i live in the boonies in TN) and the credits don't transfer to hardly any college around here. I've heard horror stories about people that took two years of gen ed classes there and tried to transfer to schools both in the UT and the state university systems and none of the schools would accept their credits. They ended up having to take gen ed classes all over again.

I'm fairly certain I want to be an English major, probably a teacher. I've had other interests but I've always gone back to writing. I love writing more than anything, almost more than working on my CB, lol. I love to write poetry and I'm working on a huge huge sci-fi/fantasy book that I've been working on since I was like 13 basically, I've got a 3 subject ntoebook filled to the brim with notes and I've got at least 50 or so more pages of notes on the computer. But I've scrapped the manuscript about 3 or 4 times because I was never satisfied with it. The current incarnation of the manuscript is over 100 pages but I'm scrapping that and starting all over again.

Heh if anyone wants to read my stuff it's here: http://www.fictionpress.com/~voratio

'Lux Aeterna' is the novel, the rest is just stuff.

Thanks to everyone for some heartfelt advice.
          Last edited by increaseBLu3; 09-01-2006, 01:18 PM.

Comment

College is over rated. We are all gona die anyways.
            H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut
              College is over rated. We are all gona die anyways.

That's true, so you may as well die doing what you love, and college is a good way to give yourself more opportunity to do that.

Not the only way, but it is a good way.

Comment

Man, if college is overrated, there are a whole lot of dumbasses like me out there!

Never forget that your style is all that matters when it comes to your ride, but be respectful to others who don't share your vision.

Comment

Originally posted by f22a4bandit
                  Man, if college is overrated, there are a whole lot of dumbasses like me out there!
                  thats so true i couldnt of said it better my self.

Comment

college is overrated. people put too much stress on saying that the only way to do something with yourself is college. fuck that. I went to college, to the University of Washington, i think its in the top 15 colleges/universities in the states. what I got from it was, college is really for the people that arent good at anything else. I met a lot of cool people, but they were stupid dumbasses when it came to the real world.

I know how to work on cars, I know how to build houses, I know how to make blueprints of buildings. I didnt need school or college for any of that. maybe for the fundamentals or reading/writing/and speaking, but college nor high school taught me how to do any of that. I can make a career out of any of those things.

School DOES help, but its worth shit if you suck at life. All met so many people at school that didnt even know how to open up a bank account, or knew how to connect a fucking vcr system up. My friends all want to be Mechanical engineers, as did I. but they know absolutely NOTHING about designing, drafting, any type of machinery. nothing, zilch. that is something school will not teach you. they will teach you all the equations, they will give you everything you need EXCEPT experience.

but, thats only a 4year school. If you go to a tech or trade school, its totally different.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

You're right on trade and technical schools. However, I can't learn what I'm studying (political science) there. I personally haven't found college to be a waste for me, but that's my opinion. I go to a much smaller school (5,000 students) than the University of Washington, and I'm getting a lot more out of it. That's the reason I didn't apply to any big schools because I knew I was going to be just another number. There are a lot of dumb people in college, but I definitely don't consider myself one of them. Yes, we're all going to die one day. Maybe college is a waste, but I won't find out until I'm out there in my career.

Comment

Yeah the real world is a killer, you gotta watch out. Ive just meet to many people who have been through college and now they do the same as me or worse. Back at home living with their parents or partying all the time.

Plus ive lived in a 3rd world country and what i have now is 20 times better than my life in that other country.

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut
                          Yeah the real world is a killer, you gotta watch out. Ive just meet to many people who have been through college and now they do the same as me or worse. Back at home living with their parents or partying all the time.

Plus ive lived in a 3rd world country and what i have now is 20 times better than my life in that other country.
                          I get where you're coming from. I've got a friend who is sorta like the college people you've met. He only went one semester, never tried, and hadn't really done much with life until now (he works at Fry's full-time now). If you're going to college, graduate and go onto your career, not slack off and never grow up.

Comment

Then we have my mother in law who got her Degree and is a special ed teacher, and i make more money than her and get way better benefits..

Im just living life, enjoying life. Being with my family.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                              college is overrated. people put too much stress on saying that the only way to do something with yourself is college. fuck that. I went to college, to the University of Washington, i think its in the top 15 colleges/universities in the states. what I got from it was, college is really for the people that arent good at anything else. I met a lot of cool people, but they were stupid dumbasses when it came to the real world.

I know how to work on cars, I know how to build houses, I know how to make blueprints of buildings. I didnt need school or college for any of that. maybe for the fundamentals or reading/writing/and speaking, but college nor high school taught me how to do any of that. I can make a career out of any of those things.

School DOES help, but its worth shit if you suck at life. All met so many people at school that didnt even know how to open up a bank account, or knew how to connect a fucking vcr system up. My friends all want to be Mechanical engineers, as did I. but they know absolutely NOTHING about designing, drafting, any type of machinery. nothing, zilch. that is something school will not teach you. they will teach you all the equations, they will give you everything you need EXCEPT experience.

but, thats only a 4year school. If you go to a tech or trade school, its totally different.
                              Umm. I didn't see any point where anybody said college was a replacement for life, but it is a good stepping stone. The whole reason is to get a background that will allow you to get the experience if you don't already have it. Do you not think that your engineering friends couldn't go and learn how to use the machinery?

The bottom line is that most non-college grads aren't very good at life either. That is more of a human thing than an education thing.

The demographics say the average college graduate not only makes more money than the average non grad, but that they are also happier and more fullfilled. Does that mean it occured at the 100th percentile? No. But is the more common occurence.

Out of the total non college educated workforce, most do NOT walk into a lucrative and high paying job. Most end up working for a place like Wal-Mart. That is a fact.

Not every college avenue ends in a super lucrative career or position, but the odds of it paying off are much greater.

Just because your college didn't work out as you planned it, doesn't mean nobody else's does.
                              Last edited by owequitit; 09-01-2006, 02:54 PM.

Comment

You CAN be happy and successful without college. However, college is a tool to help along the way. I know plenty of people who went to college and did NOTHING with their degree (myself included, at the moment).

College is like a snap-on truck parked in your front yard. It's up to you to use the tools at your disposal. Simply having them does nothing for you... aside from giving you bragging rights.

Comment

Working...
                                X