what a ricer told me today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what a ricer told me today

this guy drives a 2001 civic ex. anyways, he says waxing your car makes you accelerate faster because the car is smooth so the wind passes it easier for better aerodynamics.. he also had his cold air intake wrapped in some foil tape which is used in HVAC applications to "reflect the heat".. this is why some people dont like honda tuners, sad...
    You have been defeated by a car with child locks, how embarassing...

"I noticed my f22 felt "healthier" until it blew up." <Myk>

Why's it sad? He's telling the truth... I waxed my car to make it faster too.....
    Originally posted by deevergote
    I'd eat a baby for free. I'm hungry, dammit!

Comment

are you serious? even if it does something its probably nothing noticeable unless your going 100+mph?

Comment

your car does go a little bit faster with a wax... common i thought you guys played GT4...lol

Comment

When we were at NOPI last Saturday we saw a 96-00 civic with a rear lip(very hard to find). Tek went up to the kid and asked him where he found the lip. The kid said "just go to any shop that has cars with rims".

Comment

^ lol

Comment

Originally posted by Alex EX
              this guy drives a 2001 civic ex. anyways, he says waxing your car makes you accelerate faster because the car is smooth so the wind passes it easier for better aerodynamics.. he also had his cold air intake wrapped in some foil tape which is used in HVAC applications to "reflect the heat".. this is why some people dont like honda tuners, sad...

Those statements are both true actually.

Not on the level he wishes they were, but they ARE true.

You would actually be amazed at how much of an effect dirt has on drag, not to mention the weight penalty...have you ever filled a pail with sand at the beach?

It is an incremental improvement at best, and would probably manifest itself as an MPG or so at highway speeds on long trips.

Same with the duct tape. The problem is that once the air is moving through the intake, ie the throttle opens, the air comes down to a temp very close to ambient in a very short time. It will never get colder than ambient without chemical intervention, so all it really accomplishes is to help prevent heat soak on the intake while sitting still.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

the kid has been playin too much gran turismo...says as a tip in that game that washing the car imporoves aerodynamics lol such bullshit.

Comment

Waxing doesn't really improve aerodynamics. Don't really want to get into it, but just look at golf balls and porting theories(dirt is a different issue; if you wash your car it wont be dirty, you can wax it to keep dirt off, but aerodynamics wont really improve).

As far as the foil tape goes, those can block out heat. Whether there's any performance gains, its negligible.
                  -Kevin

1988 Honda Civi- D15B VTEC Dac Biet, my "race car"
                  1992 Honda Accord LX: DD until I finish school

Comment

they'd probably just make next-to-nothing gains.
                    RICE COOKA!!

Comment

The "insulation" is right in theory, but nothing useful for a street car. There are better products out there for the job.

The aerodynamic effect of a good wax does make a difference, but again, it's nothing a street car will ever make use of. Put it on a bumper-to-bumper road race at 100+mph, and the effects might be useful.

Comment

Maybe on a Zonda, but I doubt it on a Honda.
                        Hi, I'm Shippo and I have a problem. I keep buying CB7's.

Comment

you guys are all wrong, you need more stickers to accomadate the wax job.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                            you guys are all wrong, you need more stickers to accomadate the wax job.

Thats only after you install a walmart subwoofer and amp!
                            Hi, I'm Shippo and I have a problem. I keep buying CB7's.

Comment

both of these things have been talked about since the 1960s

waxing does improve aerodynamics but not enought to notice

and heat rap doesnt really do anything on an intake becuase the air passes though it too fast

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

Working...
                              X