A VTEC Observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A VTEC Observation

Now that its been about a year since I sold my swapped CB7 I find it funny I just noticed this about VTEC engines:

About a year ago a 2nd gen Teg wanted to race me on the freeway (I was in my Suby). I gased it a bit but he decided to speed up, cut me off and floor it again. When his VTEC hit I got a good whiff of burning oil in my car. I figured the engine was just well worn.

Fast forward to last weekend and I was behind a S2000 on a freeway onramp. He takes off and when his VTEC hit I got another good whiff of burning oil in my car.

So what gives? Do all VTEC engines burn that much oil in the upper rev range?

They burn oil but not enough for you to smell it sometimes.... Prob needs to do maintenance on there cars. Mine doesnt burn oil it just shoots plumes of black smoke from running uber rich which I plan to fix soon. I check my oil levels every week so yea no leaks, compression is 215 across the board, and my spark plug tubes are all dry.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Well if they're driving like idiots they're motors are probably on their way out. And they don't take well enough care of it.

^^ Clicky for Members Ride! ^^

Comment

Black smoke =
        Instead of recycling that grime back into your intake, why not spit it out of your muffler into your opponents windshield. EGR valves and other emissions control devices are for people who live in Cali... Haha!

My CB7 is now ***FOR SALE***

Comment

The interesting thing is when I was with Eric (R33) searching for GSR's, both the ones that he test drove the day I was with him (not the one he bought) were burning blue when VTEC kicked in. I guess when you beat on the motors too much, they do show it?

Comment

They might burn a lil oil crossing into VTEC. Mine I cant notice I shoot way too much black smoke so I might be burning a lil but apparently not much. I check my oil levels before I change its its always like barely touching the second dot on the dipstick. So dunno.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

apparently i have a small fireball come outta my exhaust when vtec engages in first gear.

Comment

Originally posted by ACCORDing2R
                Black smoke =
                Instead of recycling that grime back into your intake, why not spit it out of your muffler into your opponents windshield. EGR valves and other emissions control devices are for people who live in Cali... Haha!
                But I live in Cali

As far as I can tell EGRs have nothing to do with it.

Comment

Yep EGR doesnt. I dunno it just depends on a few people and how they take care of there cars.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by Mealsy
                    Well if they're driving like idiots they're motors are probably on their way out. And they don't take well enough care of it.
                    That's probably the case. I don't belive I burn any oil at all... and my motor is 12 years old. I maintain it, and I don't beat the piss out of it.

Comment

I guess I got a spotty motor then. Mine used to consume about a quart every 3-4k. Then again, that's considered "normal".

Comment

"normaL"??? the only hondas that i've ran into that were not beat all to hell only had leaks which would cause the oil to go down. Most all the fseries i built never showed any signs of smoking, cept with the one that had a bad oil pump..... that was a bad day.
                        WTB:
                        88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
                        OR
                        90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

Most car manufacturers say a quart between changes is normal useage.

Comment

hmm, my bro-in-law has a cg2 and when he hits v-tec (i.e. all the time) you cna smell it. i, too, wondered if that was normal or a problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X