Prevent your shit from getting stolen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prevent your shit from getting stolen

Found this write up on k20a.org by bossman032. Maybe it'll help some of you that tend to get their cb's broken into alot.
    This site helps alot too.
    http://www.vsracing.net/~suspended/

Here are some common features that are included with most decent quality alarm units:
    115dB Siren
    Impact Sensor
    Glass Sensor
    Motion Sensor
    Tilt Sensor
    Keyless Entry
    Starter Kill
    Fuel Pump Switch Wired to odd style fuse!!
    Horn Honk
    Parking Light Flash
    Headlight Flash (Low and Hi)
    Hood and Trunk Pins
    Door Pins
    AutoLock

Although those features will stop most timid thieves out there, they probably aren't going to stop veteran thieves, crack heads, and thieves with a lot of guts. So here are some ideas on how to go one step further in preventing these people from stealing our hard-earned belongings.

1) This is the major problem: A thief can simply bust out your driver's side window, reach in without opening the door, pop your hood, cut the battery cable, and now the car alarm is totally disabled. For a skilled thief this process would literally take about 15 seconds. There are two things I would recommend you do to prevent a thief from disabling your alarm in this manner. The most recommended method is for you to invent in a steel cable hood lock. The cable runs from under the dash of your car, through the firewall, and mounts itself underneath the hood. It is locked and unlocked using a key from the inside of the vehicle. Without this key, the hood cannot be popped open. This will prevent easy access to your battery. At this point the thief can either run away, try to grab and dash, or try to access the battery by crawling under the car. Although I highly doubt a thief would go through the trouble of crawling under your car to cut the battery cable, it has happened before. Mount your multi-tone siren next to the battery pointed downward. Mount a peizo siren next to it, also pointing downward. We want to make it very uncomfortable for our thief to stick his head under the car with those sirens blazing right in his ear.
    If you aren't interested in the hood lock, the other method is to invest in a siren with an internal battery "backup system". This siren will continue to sound even after the battery has been cut and power has been disabled. The siren is disabled using a special key. A thief would have to take this siren and smash it on the ground in order to disable it. Because of this, I recommend you use more than one battery backup siren in your alarm system.

2) Most alarm installs are done by splicing into one of the vehicle's constant +12 volt wires either at the steering column or at the fuse box. I am pretty certain that a thief can smash the fuse box with a crowbar or baseball bat and destroy the vehicle's electrical fuses. Of course this would disable the alarm system without the thief even having to mess with the battery. To prevent a thief from using this method to disable your alarm system, I recommend that you run your own constant +12 volt and ground wire from the alarm's brain straight to the battery, and fuse the 12+ wire at both the brain and the battery. This way, if the fuse box gets smashed it won't affect the alarm at all.

3) At this point our thief is more than likely very frustrated. There's a chance he will now choose to get under the dash and snip some wires to disable the alarm. Any single bright colored or red wires are going to be targets. I recommend that you run all of your wires through black loom tubing so that they appear to be part of the vehicle's factory wiring. Wrap the loom and superglue it in black electrical tape to prevent the thief from opening up the loom and looking inside. And use black plastic zip ties to mount the loom high up inside the dash. Mount a peizo siren under here pointed downward toward the floor. It will be extremely uncomfortable for a thief to have his head anywhere near this type of siren.
    But you definitely do not want to mount the alarm's brain here under the dash. You want to hide the brain as best as possible. Try to install the Brain in where the cluster goes hide it zip tie it to the metal bar!! I recommend you mount the brain inside the dash, underneath your center consol if possible. You could also mount it under one of the seats but a thief may check there.

4) I just want to mention the sirens once more. Most alarms come with a single multi-tone siren, around 115dB or so. I recommend you purchase one or two more multi-tone sirens and several 115dB peizo sirens and incorporate them into your alarm system. The louder the alarm is when it is tripped, the more attention is drawn to your vehicle and the more likely a thief is to give up and run away. Not to mention it will hurt a thief's ears if he goes anywhere near the peizos.

5) If you have the newer civics install a trunk popper and take out the cable for popping the trunk. Let's talk about something I mentioned earlier, the good old grab and dash. Even with a security system of this caliber, that won't necessarily stop a thief from popping your trunk lid using the trunk latch inside of the vehicle, grabbing your subwoofer enclosure or amplifier, and running away with it. If possible you may want to remove your trunk latch. That way, you would have to use your key in order to open the trunk lid.
    Another thing you could do is bolt your subwoofer enclosure or amplifier rack to the trunk floor. Use safety torx or another odd-shaped screw to do this. Chances are a thief won't have the correct tool to unbolt your equipment and will give up.
    Also, you want to secure your head unit to your dash's frame so that it cannot be removed using those slide rail "keys". Use safety torx screws for this as well.

6) If you want to take your security system one step further, I recommend you incorporate a blue police beacon. USE A SUPER BRIGHT LED LIGHT. This may be considered overkill by some, but it is very effective in preventing thieves from continuing with the robbery once the alarm is tripped and the police light is activated. Especially in a public area such as a parking lot or a residential neighborhood. People don't really tend to pay attention when they hear someone's car alarm go off in a parking lot, but everyone tends to take notice when they see those blue rotating police lights. It would draw a lot of attention to your vehicle, therefore causing the thief to flee. Of course, it would have to be mounted somewhere on the inside of the car.

If you have rims get locks and a tilt sensor!!! And don't keep the keys in the glove box!!

7) Always check with your insurance provider to make sure your stereo equipment is covered in case of a robbery. With 21st century your engine is covered, make sure you have full coverage and they protect up to about 5000. I think you pay about 100 extra. Well worth it!! If it is not covered under comprehensive, as them if you can take out a separate policy on your equipment. Make sure your insurance provider has receipts for all of your equipment and pictures as well. Often times when a thief realizes they are unable to steal your equipment they will destroy it in anger. If your insurance company refuses to cover your stereo equipment, I highly suggest you switch to a different provider who offers this.

8) Besides insurance, the most important thing is to not draw attention to your vehicle. Car audio stickers are a dead giveaway to a thief that the vehicle has something worth stealing inside of it. Vehicles with expensive rims, exterior modifications and body kits, alteza tail lights, racing decals and stripes, etc, are also targets for thieves. Always remove your faceplate before exiting your vehicle. Always lock your doors. Do not tell anyone that you do not trust 100% that you have an expensive audio system. Turn OFF your stereo about five minutes before you stop and park your car somewhere. Bumping your system in the mall parking lot as you look for a space to park may not seem like a big deal, but you have pretty much told every would-be thief in the area to "steal my stuff". Also, if you are in high school or college, NEVER turn on your system anywhere near campus. There are a lot of stupid kids out there who have no respect for other people's property. Be smart and protect yourself.

some links:
    http://www.the12volt.com/carsecurity/carsecurity.asp

http://www.the12volt.com/info/diagrams.asp

---------------------------------------------------
    Good Alarms:
    Crime Guard 850ie4
    Very Good Alarm this model has remote start.
    Has some very good features.
    Paging Is Instant.
    Remote start for manual tranny.
    Range is not that good but it has worked really good for me. People have tired to steal my car my times it went off each and every time.

--------------------------------------------------
    Compustar (Has a huge Brain Hard to Hide in civics)
    Has excellent Range about 1 mile!!!
    Remote start for manual Trans!!
    Little more wiring then an average alarm!!
    Pager is very big, if you want the range or smaller pager reduces the range to about 3000ft!!!
    Paging is kinda slow 3 sec delay!!!
    No warranty if bought online!!!!
    --------------------------------------------------

YouTube Clicky!!

Regarding the battery, I was planning on running my battery into the trunk.

Comment

kill kill kill the car theives...kill them until they are dead.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
        kill kill kill the car theives...kill them until they are dead.
        Ever seen Hot Shots Part Duex? "I'll kill you till you die from it!"

Comment

Originally posted by i97supratti
          Regarding the battery, I was planning on running my battery into the trunk.
          I was thinking the same; perhaps behind a fiberglass wall or something, preferably covered by stock color carpet. And all that shit is fine and dandy unless they come with a tow truck (if they're looking to get your whole car). As far as stereo stuff, bolt it down and tuck all wires, or ditch the unneccessary like I did.

Originally posted by lordoja
          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
            I was thinking the same; perhaps behind a fiberglass wall or something, preferably covered by stock color carpet. And all that shit is fine and dandy unless they come with a tow truck (if they're looking to get your whole car). As far as stereo stuff, bolt it down and tuck all wires, or ditch the unneccessary like I did.
            Digital tilt sensor stops them from tilting the car to get to the tow hook. Also, if I ever get some nice rims, I'll defiently get these:

Prolly on all 4 wheels facing alternate directions so you can't reverse or go forward. Ahahahahaha, im nuts

Comment

I like this alot. I may use this for inspiration!

Comment

get the trunk monkey kit
                My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Originally posted by i97supratti
                  Prolly on all 4 wheels facing alternate directions so you can't reverse or go forward. Ahahahahaha, im nuts
                  Jackstands my friend.
                  It only takes a few minutes to take off ur wheels and replace them with steelies.

Comment

man, i stil need to get my gps phone.
                    hide it somewhere in the car so that it take long enough for the theif to find it before i goto the nearest computer and track down the car. (via google maps)

umm, removable steering wheel
                    -relocate my hood cable since mine is stretched anyways.
                    hide some other things that i wont mention
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

for gods sake.

Strap a friggin bomb to it if you care so much guys...wes carrying weapons wont do shit.

You aint no Bruce Lee man.
                      Henry R
                      Koni/Neuspeed
                      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                      1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                      made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid
                        for gods sake.

Strap a friggin bomb to it if you care so much guys...wes carrying weapons wont do shit.

You aint no Bruce Lee man.
                        whats with the assumptions?
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Methods 1 & 2:

VERY sensitive VERY LOUD alarm with TWO remote pagers next to me when I sleep.
                          Hungarian FEG PA-63 using 9mm Makarov 95gr FMJ ammo

Method 3:

Multi-camera video surveillance of my car running 24/7 in color, nightvision, with audio.

Method 4:
                          Steering wheel lock

My car is also parked RIGHT outside my bedroom window, and theres armed security that patrols the complex at night.

Comment

Phempa has the best idea of all, besides the gun he has the 24/7 camera....That is a really great idea, even though most of us cant really afford it, its still a great idea. Nothing like being able to give the police a face to work with, insted of just telling them your car's description. They could be waiting outside his house when he gets home or something...Phempa maybe you could give us some details on how to set up a cheap camera system
                            JustBlaze

Comment

Heres what I did...

went to walmart and got a security camera system that simply plugs into a VCR and transmits color nightvision with sound. it only cost about 60 bucks, but there are better ones there (some wireless too) that you can get if your willing to spend more.

Now, you could simply do like most would and hook it into a VCR and record, but I didnt wanna do that cause I'd have to buy assloads of videotapes.
                              Instead, I went to Best Buy and got a TV Tuner card (ATI TV wonder Pro) for about 75 bucks.
                              It requires one PCI slot to run, and the more ram the better. A good video card is a must as well.
                              The card comes with a connector that wires up to a little purple box that has S-Video and RCA inputs on it.
                              Software came supplied with the TV Tuner Card, and it is capable of recording direct to hard disk in many different quality formats.
                              The setting I have records to mpeg-4 video and will make about a 10 gigabyte file in 8 hours.

If you dont have much hard drive space, and wanna conserver what you can... theres a program called Cyberlink Power Producer that allows whatever video you have coming into your PC be directly burned to DVD (provided you have a DVD burner)

Comment

Working...
                              X