The un-official aviation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skubydobdo
    one more thing, any pilot will agree....there aint nothin better than the smell of jet exhaust ahhhhhhhh

AMEN!
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid
      I've always had dreams of flying an F-16 Falcon, I just love the way it looks.

But you can't wear glasses and fly though

Actually, that is no longer true. Most of the services have a vision limit correctable to 20/20, and they will give you a medical waiver, if you meet the requirements.

It varies from service to service, and with their recruiting needs.

You may still want to look into it.

Comment

Well I have been sitting here thinking about my looming checkride, and I was just going over some of my favorite aviation adages in my head.

I figured I would share. Feel free to comment. These are in no particular order...

1) Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make all of them yourself.

2) In the ongoing battle between the ground going 0 miles per hour and objects made of aluminum going hundreds of miles an hour, the ground has yet to lose.

3) Stay out of clouds. The silver lining everyone keeps talking about might
        be another airplane going in the opposite direction. Reliable sources also
        report that mountains have been known to hide out in clouds.

4) The 3 most useless things to a pilot are the runway behind him, the altitude above him, and a tenth of a second ago.

5) There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are however, no old bold pilots.

6) A good landing is any landing you can walk away from. A great landing is any landing that they can re-use the airplane.

7) It is better to be down here wishing you were up there, than to be up there wishing you were down here...

8) In the beginning every pilot is given two bags. One labeled luck and one labeled experience. The luck bag is full and the experience bag is empty. The trick is to fill up the experience bag before the luck runs out.

9) When one engine fails on a twin engine airplane you
        always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.

10) There are more planes in the ocean than there are
        submarines in the sky.

11) Weather forecasts are horoscopes with numbers.

12) Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a
        person on the ground incapable of understanding it or doing anything about
        it.

13) Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at
        80,000 Feet and Climbing (sign over the entrance to the SR-71 operating
        location Kadena, Japan).

14) What is the similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots? If a
        pilot screws up, the pilot dies; If ATC screws up, the pilot dies.

15) Flying Basics:

1. Try to stay in the middle of the air.

2. Do not go near the edges of it.

3. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground,

buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space.

It is much more difficult to fly there.

16) You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power
        to taxi to the terminal.

17) Takeoff is optional, landing is mandatory.

18) If you push the stick foward, the houses get bigger. If you pull it back they get smaller, unless of course you keep pulling it back, then they get bigger again.

19) Flying isn't dangerous, crashing is dangerous.

20) The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

21) The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

22) The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of
        arrival. Large angle of arrival, small probability of survival and vice
        versa.

23) When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No one has ever collided with
        the sky.

24) Always try to keep the number of landings you make equal to the number
        of take offs you've made.

25) There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately
        no one knows what they are.

26) If all you can see out of the window is ground that's going round and
        round and all you can hear is commotion coming from the passenger compartment, things are not at all as they should be.

27) Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience
        usually comes from bad judgment.

28) It's always a good idea to keep the pointy end going forward as much as
        possible.

29) Remember, gravity is not just a good idea. It's the law. And it's not
        subject to repeal.

30) Never let an aircraft take you somewhere your brain didn't get to five
        minutes earlier.

And last but not least:

Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man.

Landing is the first.

Comment

6) A good landing is any landing you can walk away from. A great landing is any landing that they can re-use the airplane

this is the truth

A wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
          Frost White CB7 Crew - Member #4
          Official Ebay Whore Crew #9

Comment

Originally posted by HondaGuy1212
            this is sort of a random question but doenst Rolls Royce make engines for planes?
            yeah they do
            they do it near my house
            cccheaaaa
            Accord Nation

92 accord sold, 91 accord ex-r still alive
            240sx for that dorifto action comming soon

Comment

Well, I have successfully passed the first part of my Instrument checkride.

I had the Oral exam on Thursday night.

2.5 hours of getting asked every Instrument question imagineable. All in all I did quite well, I only had to look up 2 answers.

Now I still have the practical portion of the checkride (the actual flight).

That should take about 2 hours. I basically will just shoot 3 local instrument approaches, one normal, one with an engine failed, and one with my primary flight instruments failed.

I think it should be fun. I was a lot more worried about the oral than anything.

Comment

Wow! It has been a long while since I have bumped this up! There is probably a whole new generation of CB owners here. LOL!

Found this stuff on Youtube and though it was kind of cool. Figured I would post it.

Last edited by owequitit; 02-23-2009, 12:32 AM.

Comment

In business news:
                  US Airways will announce tomorrow that the charge for in-flight beverages will be repealed effective March 1.
                  Gary A.K.A. Carter
                  [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                    In business news:
                    US Airways will announce tomorrow that the charge for in-flight beverages will be repealed effective March 1.
                    LOL! That is good news. Now that prices have gone down, they should. My favorite carrier never has charged for beverages.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                      LOL! That is good news. Now that prices have gone down, they should. My favorite carrier never has charged for beverages.
                      That isn't the justification from Doug Parker. He says, it is because none of the other legacies followed with the charge.
                      He also says that the other "a la carte" programs; bag fees, choice seats, nap sacks will generate $400 to $500 million in 2009.
                      The charge for drinks never bothered me. Most of the time, I only took the drink because it was offered, not because I needed/wanted it. I survived just fine on several 3+ hr flights last year without anything.
                      Gary A.K.A. Carter
                      [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post

this video was incredible!

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
                        Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
                        NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                          That isn't the justification from Doug Parker. He says, it is because none of the other legacies followed with the charge.
                          He also says that the other "a la carte" programs; bag fees, choice seats, nap sacks will generate $400 to $500 million in 2009.
                          The charge for drinks never bothered me. Most of the time, I only took the drink because it was offered, not because I needed/wanted it. I survived just fine on several 3+ hr flights last year without anything.
                          They SAY that isn't the justification, but really it was. They said it all in a sweeping statement about fuel prices. They all did. And his statement that nobody matched is fairly bologna. I know quite a number of majors that are charging for everything.

Also, most of the orther legacies are charging for EVERYTHING. The ONLY carrier that doesn't is Southwest. LOL!

I love how they refer to themselves as "legacies" when they all accomplish the same goal, as if Southwest weren't competition for them.

Sorry, and no offense to your mom, but most airline management (Doug Parker mostly included) are idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7 View Post
                            this video was incredible!
                            It was pretty cool! I thought it was a cool view, and it just happened to illustrate the stalled airflow over the wing.

Comment

Working...
                            X