Learning a Lesson the hard way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning a Lesson the hard way...

As many of you have seen, or maybe not, I have been having a pain in the ass time trying to get my car to stop this annoying vibration that comes through the steering wheel at speeds above 50mph. I have spent WAY too much time and money on it, and its all because of procrastination. This is why you shouldnt put off a small problem "for just one more week", and get it fixed as soon as you can.

I autocrossed my car, treated it how you would someone's rental car. I drove it as hard as I could, since thats how you had to stay competitive. Of course, parts broke, and stuff couldnt hold up. Mainly I was going through Autozone remanufactured axles like there was no tomorrow. I figured the h22 plus me beating on it, through the corners and whatnot was the killer, as I'll later figure out, the Autozone parts cores are essentially just taken in, cleaned, and stuck back on the shelf.

I finally got sick of screwing up the car after one event when I was setting up my victory for the year against a modded STI and a badass Evo MR that was almost tied with me, it would have come down to the last race of the season(december), which I missed. After the november event I had a pretty annoying vibration from the motor. It was from jumping the balancer belt by a tooth. I figured out that the h22 didnt really like being used as an engine brake (shoving it into 2nd at the end of a straight into a sharp turn and popping the clutch to get the car to slid out). So I retired for the season.

Every time it would vibrate on acceleration, I would need to swap out one more axle. So time went by, and it was coming up to the NC meet. I swapped a new axle on one side, and was convinced that since I kept having vibration it may have been my intermediate shaft since it seemed to have some play. Got up, and swapped it out for another that Jody had. Felt a bit better for a little while, but after we got on the highway, I knew that wasnt my problem.

Fast forward... got home without vibrating the car to death, it did it ALL the way home. Imagine your steering wheel turning about 1 inch back and forth for 12'ish hours. NO GOOD.

So now its time to start replacing more shit. I have now replaced passenger axle, lower ball joint, tie rod end, and wheel bearing. Wheel bearing was the only thing that was actually bad that I could actually verify. Just replaced the drivers side lower ball joint since it had play, and the tie rod end just so I know its not it. Of course, it still vibrates.

All in all, I have replaced what I said above plus new tires(needed them anyways), a new steering rack, tires re-balanced, tires rotated, and tried wheels from another car to rule out bent wheels. And the vibration is still here.

So I am back to square one, and have the original problem still annoying me.

BUT, the whole point of the story is, had I spent time and figured the problem out prior to driving 1300 miles to the NC meet, I would have saved myself from having to purchase two lower ball joints, a wheel bearing, and an intermediate shaft. Its only about 260 in parts, but another 200 for tools (press and bearing separator), and way way way too much time in agony.

So if you ever have a problem with the car, no matter how small, take care of it ASAP, instead of waiting a week or two and having it create one hell of a time for you. I am so sick of the car due to this, and would love to get rid of it, but know that if I ever do figure out the problem, I will at least have everything suspension/steering wise brand new. Lets just hope that happens before I get way to sick of it.

And Autozone axles... they are OK, but not good by any means. The last time when I took one back for a return since it had play in it, the new one off the shelf had more play than my old one I was returning. This not only happened once, but twice in a row. So I finally just got my money back.

I went with a discount auto reman axle, and it was nice and tight for the passenger side. May be doing the same for the drivers if I cant figure out why else this stupid thing still vibrates. I would try a Napa one, but cant stand how they only work bankers hours... what help is that? Imagine if Home depot or Lowes were only open from 8-5... that would suck for people that actually have to work.

Cliffs NOTES:

*Had a vibration, decided to wait until after I drove 1300 miles to the NC meet. Upon getting back, I replaced lower ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack, passenger wheel bearing, intermediate shaft, axle, rebalanced tires, and rotated them, and problem isnt going away. All of the above were fine before I left, so they were damaged from the vibration.

So if you have a problem, no matter the magnitude, fix it ASAP to save yourself time and frustration down the road.

edit: holy shieat that is long...

all those parts went bad again after the meet? im so confused, i thought you were gona tell us you figured out the problem and it was something really simple.
    H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

You have far more patience than I do. At some point I'd be handing over the key and some $$ to someone else and telling them to take a look. At least then it would either be fixed or you'd just bring it back and tell them "not yet, try harder". A test drive is a test drive and they'd be able to acknowledge the vibration.

At any rate, on the subject of not letting shit wait so that it festers, the same is true of for example, an A/C system. What happens is, it'll get a leak and so you get a cheap "recharge" to hold you through the season maybe. Then winter comes and you don't care. Then next summer comes and you want A/C again and this time you say, "OK, let's fix it for real now."

Problem is, last year only the condenser had a leak perhaps. But this year, because you let it fester, moisture got in the system and now the compressor is corroded and so are some fittings etc. What was going to be a $200-$350 repair last year is now double or triple that this year.

The above story happened to us with our '91 Civic years ago. With a stern letter to Honda America I got some serious discounts at a dealer who "helped" by putting some junkyard parts on it and got the A/C sorta kinda cold. Two weeks later we got rid of it and got the CB7.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Yeah, I just ordered new control arms becuase mine are poping, and its BAD.

Yeah I hope it doesnt break now till thursday :-/

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut
          all those parts went bad again after the meet? im so confused, i thought you were gona tell us you figured out the problem and it was something really simple.
          Well.. one thing, probably just the axle was bad PRIOR to going to the meet (1300) miles. Driving there and back with the vibration, owned all the other parts. Had I fixed the vibration before the trip, I would have had a much better time at the meet, and would have saved money on stupid parts that were only a few years old at most (wheel bearings were like 3 years old, everything else was new within a year or two).

And as far as having patience, ask Cisco(hondafan81), he is usually who I vent to... I told him to come buy my car instead of the one he is picking up from Mr honda. I am still really sick of it, but we'll see how long it lasts.

If I wasnt saving to buy a house in a year, the car WOULD be gone, no questions asked.

edit:
          and to top it off, for some reason, I have to crank it over, and then let go, then crank it, and it'll start normal in the mornings.

and I noticed a little bit of oil that is from behind the timing belt cover.

May just start looking around the area for a cheap cb7... to keep stock, and swap only what I KNOW is good over to it.
          Last edited by aero; 06-17-2006, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Did you just get the wheels balanced or did you actually do a runout test on them? Even bent ass wheels can be balanced. It takes a decent digital balancer to give you exact specs on the wheels. It will even tell you how much accuracy you can get the balance to. I see you've replaced a lot of parts and still have the same issue. Try having the wheels seriously checked out and not just balanced. Then you'll know FOR SURE if the wheels are playing into the problem or not.

My Accord History:
            91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

BTW, thank you for the cliff notes

I got 2/3 through your post and then saw the cliff notes

My Accord History:
              91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

Hang in there take your time use another car to get around in until you fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
                  Hang in there take your time use another car to get around in until you fix the problem.
                  well as I said, I have 2 bikes right now.. so they can get me around if need be. And we also have an extra civic... but I dont really like driving that.. mostly since its a civic.

Originally posted by ACCLUDE91
                  BTW, thank you for the cliff notes

I got 2/3 through your post and then saw the cliff notes
                  I figured they would be needed

Did you just get the wheels balanced or did you actually do a runout test on them? Even bent ass wheels can be balanced. It takes a decent digital balancer to give you exact specs on the wheels. It will even tell you how much accuracy you can get the balance to. I see you've replaced a lot of parts and still have the same issue. Try having the wheels seriously checked out and not just balanced. Then you'll know FOR SURE if the wheels are playing into the problem or not.
                  Well, I rotated wheels after they were balanced the second time, to make sure it wouldnt change. And I also used a set off one of our other accords. The shake wasnt there as bad for a second with the other wheels, but then I noticed that they didnt have all that much air in them, at the reccomended PSI... shake was still there.

Comment

You're not a nooB and know your shit so I don't even know why I'm asking, but do you have 35 PSI in them or the max rated 44 PSI?

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

You're not a nooB and know your shit so I don't even know why I'm asking, but do you have 35 PSI in them or the max rated 44 PSI?
                      The ones I DD on? Prolly somewhere in the middle.

Then ones that were on that stopped the vibration were at like 20.. maybe I should to that for a little while

Comment

Working...
                      X