Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people applaud at inanimate objects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do people applaud at inanimate objects?

after reading this thread on the new xmen movie, I began to wonder why people clap or applaud at inanimate objects? Examples are the xmen with the 'juggernaut bitch' or even when I was at Yellowstone last summer after an Old Faithful eruption the crowd clapped and applauded.

WHY?

Is it some part of the human psyche or is it because one person does it that everyone else has to do it or is it something else that defies explanation?
    Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
    2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
    2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
    2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Originally posted by ACCORDianate
    WHY?

Is it some part of the human psyche ?
    yep. We do that because we evolved as a social creature relating to other humans. It is only naturally give objects a personality, thats how our brains work... socially. Why do people swear at their computer? Why do I talk to my car? I'm sure we all do it.

hold on to your butts

Comment

monkey see....monkey do

Comment

Originally posted by hemlockz
        yep. We do that because we evolved as a social creature relating to other humans. It is only naturally give objects a personality, thats how our brains work... socially. Why do people swear at their computer? Why do I talk to my car? I'm sure we all do it.
        LOL i talk to my car all the time.... when racing especially I'm all like:

"Comon' v-tak comon' comon'.... !!!BwaAaAaAaaaaah!!! "thatah gurl
        I need a custom turbo manifold built....
        707 NorCal NinjaZ

Honda Twincam Motorwerkz?
        "I am the Yakuza CB7!"
        '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

Originally posted by ACCORDianate
          after reading this thread on the new xmen movie, I began to wonder why people clap or applaud at inanimate objects? Examples are the xmen with the 'juggernaut bitch' or even when I was at Yellowstone last summer after an Old Faithful eruption the crowd clapped and applauded.

WHY?

Is it some part of the human psyche or is it because one person does it that everyone else has to do it or is it something else that defies explanation?
          as for the juggernaut, you're SUPPOSED to applaud for him, if not, he'll end you. didnt you see his suit?

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
          Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
          NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

its the only way he can breathe. BUt yeah they play follow the leader sometimes it doesnt always work. But you know how people laugh if one person laughs just because they are laughing. Thats what is about sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7
              as for the juggernaut, you're SUPPOSED to applaud for him, if not, he'll end you. didnt you see his suit?
              BWAHAHAHA!!!

Comment

why dp people yel;l at the tv durin sport events or scary movies.

Comment

Originally posted by floored
                  why dp people yel;l at the tv durin sport events or scary movies.
                  Well..., I'd say that people yell at the television while watching sports because they're actually yelling at the athletes, not the television itself.

And I'd say that people scream during scary movies because things pop up and stuff and scares the viewers. It's not that they're yelling at the television, they're yelling out of fear.

Comment

i say...who really gives a shit?

I think the reason people clapped at the juggernaut was just a way to say "Hey, i saw that online too!"
                    Last edited by Accord R33; 05-29-2006, 11:05 PM.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by According2Aaron
                      Well..., I'd say that people yell at the television while watching sports because they're actually yelling at the athletes, not the television itself.

And I'd say that people scream during scary movies because things pop up and stuff and scares the viewers. It's not that they're yelling at the television, they're yelling out of fear.
                      ok but the players cant hear them.
                      and i meant with comments like look behind you or dont go upstairs

Comment

ok but the players cant hear them.
                        Right, but regardless, they're talking to the players, not the television box.

and i meant with comments like look behind you or dont go upstairs
                        Again, they're talking to the people they see on/in the television, not the machine.

Comment

it is pointless to debate on this topic, move on...
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I think it has something to do with association. Like when we name objects. Everyone wants to go see "Old Faithful" erupt, but who would want to see water spurt out of the ground?

Comment

the juggernaut was funny imo, i simply laughed...didnt understand the need for applause but ehhh, to each his own..i know sometimes yell at the tv during games, especially now since the NBA Playoffs have been the best i have ever seen

Click ^^^ for MR Thread
                              Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
                              by the way, arguing on the net is like womens basketball, even if you win, no one cares.

Comment

Working...
                              X