Acclipse's JDM Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeathFromAbove
    and h22's aren't all that overpriced. i got mine for 2700 CDN installed. itr engines are like 5g US and shit, H have more displacement, and power so i think they aren't that pricy. i mean, if you're comparing them to certain JDM f series which weren't designed to be fast, only we like boosting them...then ya, but as an engine that was made to perform it will undoubtedly cost more than a regular grocery getter powerplant. and we should be lucky that h's drop right into our cars, cause on a local forum up here poeple listesd the prices of their H22 swaps in teggys and civics and what not, and many of them, if not all were well into the 4000$ CDN range.

an H into an accord is probably one the most efficient and economical swap you can do in a honda that pack power from the bat.
    the market dictates the price.

i won't argue with the fact that it is efficient, economical, and is a big improvement from an f22. but, i wouldn't pay over 1k for it. that's just me. it doesn't fit my price range. i'd gladly spend 1k on a digital slr camera though. it's not the 1k, it's what the 1k would be spent on.

is a set of jdm one piece headlights at $200 shipped to your door overpriced? idk, depends if you're willing to spend that amount or not. now, don't get me wrong, i'm not just saying to pay top dollar for an item- but that's advice for any product, whether jdm, edm/ukdm, pdm, or other!

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
    I just hate seeing people who want to be original and then COPY SOMEONE ELSE'S SHIT. The noveltly of JDM seemed cool until I realized all the pioneers got copied. Then the prices got jacked up astronomically. El you touched on the H22. I was talking to DoctorCipher the other day. He said anything of the H22 is considered to be holy grail...which is damn true. To me, the market got the biggest steal of its life with the JDM craze. I rant to save the naive fellow who could have fell to the JDM craze.

P.S. Back in the day you could have picked up any of those VTEC riceburners for 400 bucks. And by "back in the day" I mean in the year 2000/01.
    duly noted.

as i've said time and time again in this thread, build the car for you. if you like it, that's what matters. if you saw takeda's car, and that inspires you, then so be it. if you saw bille's car, and that inspires you, then so be it. if you saw accordanimal's car, accordtunerx's, phatdoughnut's, deevergote's, cp[mike]'s, primocb7's, shawn.hayden's, huy009's, 604_cb7's, cokinut's, h23accord's, jspec-cb4's, accordsir's, timmy0tool's, ziggycb7's... then so be it. there's nothing wrong with being influenced. there's nothing wrong with liking someone's ride. there's nothing wrong with disliking someone's ride. as long as your ride suits your tastes, that's all that should matter.

screw jdm, usdm, edm/ukdm, pdm, custom fabbed, ghetto rigged... do you. at the end of the day, just do you. what you eat don't make me shit, just like what i eat don't make you shit.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

i still don't get why you're bitching about "supply and demand" like it was born with the JDM craze. that's just how it is. go buy all your clothes from wal mart then, they're not in demand, but they're just as good and do the same job, and are a third the price....you prolly won't cause you have a certain style, and it's not like any of us get our clothes customs tailored....we saw them somewhere, or on someone, and essentially copied them, and got it ourselves....and paid X amount for it....that's how everything works, not just JDM and blah blah. i understand that, and that's why i will pay a seemingly outlandish price for something jdm or something that i just want because i want it NOW and i'm not gonna wait 2 years for it to be old news to save 50$. i give a shit. i'm not oozing with cash my any means, but i don't mind paying for something that i like and want.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND....the base of economics, been around for as long as there's been a structured society...which is considerably longer than anything JDM has been around.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_el
        duly noted.

as i've said time and time again in this thread, build the car for you. if you like it, that's what matters. if you saw takeda's car, and that inspires you, then so be it. if you saw bille's car, and that inspires you, then so be it. if you saw accordanimal's car, accordtunerx's, phatdoughnut's, deevergote's, cp[mike]'s, primocb7's, shawn.hayden's, huy009's, 604_cb7's, cokinut's, h23accord's, jspec-cb4's, accordsir's, timmy0tool's, ziggycb7's... then so be it. there's nothing wrong with being influenced. there's nothing wrong with liking someone's ride. there's nothing wrong with disliking someone's ride. as long as your ride suits your tastes, that's all that should matter.

screw jdm, usdm, edm/ukdm, pdm, custom fabbed, ghetto rigged... do you. at the end of the day, just do you. what you eat don't make me shit, just like what i eat don't make you shit.
        LMAO, I should just slap that last part in my sig. However there is a huge difference between using other rides as an influence, and completely copying it. With the same parts available...there is a finite amount of ways to be original. However mathematically, there are plenty of different combinations. Which is why i get real pissed when someone says,"I mod my car to be different", but then they follow someone elses footsteps. At the end of the day, I don't care really. I did not pay them to mod their car X way. So its really their choice. Personally, I'd only look for an inspiration rather than a duplication...(i know it rhymed).

Comment

i still don't get why you're bitching about "supply and demand" like it was born with the JDM craze. that's just how it is. go buy all your clothes from wal mart then, they're not in demand, but they're just as good and do the same job, and are a third the price....you prolly won't cause you have a certain style, and it's not like any of us get our clothes customs tailored....we saw them somewhere, or on someone, and essentially copied them, and got it ourselves....and paid X amount for it....that's how everything works, not just JDM and blah blah. i understand that, and that's why i will pay a seemingly outlandish price for something jdm or something that i just want because i want it NOW and i'm not gonna wait 2 years for it to be old news to save 50$. i give a shit. i'm not oozing with cash my any means, but i don't mind paying for something that i like and want.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND....the base of economics, been around for as long as there's been a structured society...which is considerably longer than anything JDM has been around.
          my reason for stating that the market dictates the price is/was a counterpoint to the original post of the thread:

Yes, another one of these rants. The term "JDM" grossly inflates the price of anything. I was on ebay looking for crap to convert one of my co-workers CD5 to manual shift. I found 2 ecus. A P0A for 40 bucks, and a JDM P0A for 200...oddly enough, they control the same engine, both were STOCK. Next was the tranny, 700 for a "JDM" unit, and 150 for a USDM unit. Here is where it got better, both had 40k on it!!!!!!!! Anything with the letters "JDM" makes it of holy grail and you must sacrafice your only child to obtain it. I just saw a USED TCM for 175 off a Prelude, while i was typing this rant.

And this is what kills me. The USED shit goes for prices that compete with real upgrades. A M2B4 tranny's price competes with the far superior Gear Speed trannies.

Disclaimer: If you are a JDM fanatic, do not get offended. I am shedding light to something I believe has gotten way out of control. So really it works out to your benefit. Hell I may get the prices to drop if I keep ranting.
          btw, my posts are for everyone reading the thread, they're not aimed at you. add to that, i did have a few "jdm" pieces on the ride, so i have nothing against "jdm". my point and purpose is to say, who cares whether it's jdm or not. if you like it, you like it; and if you don't, you don't. apc carbon fiber look double stack wing, jdm one piece headlights, l.e.d. washer nozzles, intersection lights, turbonators... as long as you're happy, that's what matters.

Comment

also before i came on here and had my car, i didn't even know what JDM was anyway, and was pretty much unaware of any of these extra things that we never got over here. so it's new to me. it's funny, i'm talking like i have a vaste collection of JDM stuff...all i have is engine and mags, sidemarkers and intersections coming soon...

engine don't count really though. intersections, i first saw them, and thought they were pretty cool, so i ended up getting some. and personally i happen to like the look of my USDM blackhouses with ebay ambers as much as jdm one pieces. and i like the fact that i can switch to another corner light in 5 minutes should i no longer like the amber. i have ebay blackhouse bumperlights, i like those too. and i liked sidemarkers, and find it much safer if you're changing lanes and someone doesn't see you. and i wanted some oem ones, so i got jdm ones.

ironically...the brand new ebay "JDM" sidemarkers for our cars look the same, but cost more then i paid for real oem stanleys. yeah they're 15 years old too, but it's not like they deteriorate.

my mags...i wanted something cool, nice and more or less different. i had been looking at some 17-18" konig holes or something similar...those with tires would have costed twice as much. i came accross these....they are light, i love the looks, OEM, and rare, and cost me less in the end.

so yeah, i don't necessarily follow any one theme. i don't car if i mix some ebay shit, with real JDM, some USDM, and just some DIY stuff.

like it's been said, i guess i just build my car for me, as an expression of my personality which is like "different, but you'll only notice if you pay attention" my car is more or less subtle and modest. and when i'm satisfied, i'm happy, but of course when what i've put together is appreciated by someone, it makes it more worth it too. and there's nothing wrong with that.

Comment

LMAO, I should just slap that last part in my sig. However there is a huge difference between using other rides as an influence, and completely copying it. With the same parts available...there is a finite amount of ways to be original. However mathematically, there are plenty of different combinations. Which is why i get real pissed when someone says,"I mod my car to be different", but then they follow someone elses footsteps. At the end of the day, I don't care really. I did not pay them to mod their car X way. So its really their choice. Personally, I'd only look for an inspiration rather than a duplication...(i know it rhymed).
              to me, if it's hot it's hot, and if it's not, it's not. but whether or not i, or anyone else, thinks it hot; what matters is that you find your own car hot.

poetry form:
              to me if it's hot
              it's hot
              and if it's not
              it's not
              but whether or not
              i or anyone else thinks it hot
              what matters is that you find your own car hot.

lol.

Comment

and when i'm satisfied, i'm happy, but of course when what i've put together is appreciated by someone, it makes it more worth it too. and there's nothing wrong with that.
                well said.

as a moderator, i spend a lot of time on this site, and it just seems like there are quite a few people who could/would do well to take on that attitude.

Comment

we all know that it's impossible for someone to be happy with an APC carbon look double stack wing! carbon motif anything is just about the cheesiest of the cheese in the list of things you can do to make yourself look foolish.

carbon's sole purpose is to be lightweight. some people like the looks too, like me, i work around carbon road bikes and bicycle components, so i've come to love the stuff in every way. i can't stand fake carbon anywhere, and i don't get how big brands can sell stuff with carbon motif, like apex'i gauges...they should be real carbon, or just plain. there shouldn't be an in between when it comes to that. if you like carbon only for the look, then it's ok, but make sure it's real, because fake carbon never has the depth anyway. so if you get a dash kit, like el did, at least make it real, also like el

i don't like the similicarbon trim available in the new TL....BUT!...i will admit that of all the faux carbon i've seen in my life, acura's came the closest to being real looking. but i would personally opt for the aluminum trim, because it's real.

and thus ends steve's rant on fake bullshit carbon anything.

PS....i only recently read about your car el, terribly sorry. i think you handled it well. i would have...i unno really, done not nice things. but that's me. how much was your dash kit? or could i get yours?
                  Last edited by DeathFromAbove; 02-17-2006, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Lets add that I have a Gather's 6 Disc changer as well as a JDM cluster. I didn't pay assloads on it. After noticing a few things in the community...I got a bit pissed off.

X person post here about needing to fix X problem and is short on money. Then X person wants to pick up some JDM One Peices...while they still have their problem. Or people like my buddy Sean, who gets a JDM P28 and swears the VTEC "pops harder". I rant so people can read this and take away something to learn. That its a fad...be wise about it.

And the influx of JDM crap on ebay completely pissed me off!!!!! I was trying to find some real crap to complete my setup, and I stumbled on JDM Silicone Couplers and reducers, with little mugen power logos!!!!!!!
                    Last edited by KillerCam282; 02-17-2006, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I have not been around much...what happenned to El's car? (Searching right now as we speak)

Comment

yeah i hear ya acclipse on that...
                        i'm a lil guilty of it though myself. my rotors have been badly warped for almost a year now, but i'd done all these other things to my car...i mean the car still stops, it's just shaky if it's from highway speeds.

and i do plan on finally getting that done very soon. just i'd like to do it myself, and right now there's ice everywhere, and it's -20 celcius, so f that.

Comment

how much was your dash kit? or could i get yours?
                          market dictated the price, lol.

i got it from www.standres.com.
                          it was applied with 3m fastener on the back side... not sure if i could get it off, and if i was able to, it might be kind of trashy. i'd hate for you to end up with something that looked like junk.

I have not been around much...what happenned to El's car? (Searching right now as we speak)
                          totalled.

Comment

yeah i hear ya acclipse on that...
                            i'm a lil guilty of it though myself. my rotors have been badly warped for almost a year now, but i'd done all these other things to my car...i mean the car still stops, it's just shaky if it's from highway speeds.

and i do plan on finally getting that done very soon. just i'd like to do it myself, and right now there's ice everywhere, and it's -20 celcius, so f that.
                            If you swapped in the last year...then ERRRRR. This is what I am talking about. Some people mod up their cars to be part of the trend and then...they get into an accident because they ignored something. Like ,they needed ball joints or some other shit thats easy to just ignore.

I am not biased. I hate on people who want body kits but have other problems they ignore. Like one of my former co worker's 6th Gen that was black widow kitted. His car was a quick fix salvage car. It needed tie rods, bushings, tranny, i mean my CB7 was running way better than his 2000 Accord was. Instead of fixing the car, he kitted it. Then spun out on the highway and smashed the divider...cause: snapped tie rod.

Edit for El: What???? When, Where, How, Link, Info???

Comment

Edit for El: What???? When, Where, How, Link, Info???

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...&postcount=411

Comment

Originally posted by SSDH22Accord
                                i feel the same way... but it's ok, i like my new (to me) car.

Comment

Working...
                                X