Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 98se p166 laptop + USB PC card + USB Sidewinder + Nesticle = ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 98se p166 laptop + USB PC card + USB Sidewinder + Nesticle = ?

Nothing. That's what I've gotten so far

Ok, here's a better tale.

I got my little laptop off of ebay for $45. It's a Pentium 166, with 48mb of ram, 2gig hard drive, and not much else. Yeah, it's a dinosaur. However, I can play Nintendo emulators on it, and probably Super Nintendo. Good enough for me.
    Anywho... I TOTALLY forgot that I bought my girl this basic 6 button USB Microsoft Sidewinder controller a couple years ago. Nice little thing, perfect for NES or SNES.
    Obviously, my laptop doesn't have USB ports. However, it DOES have 2 PC card slots (quite convenient for USB and wireless internet... which I have managed to get working thanks to some of the guys on here).

So... if you haven't figured it out yet, I put the USB card in, BATTLED with it to get it to recognize it, plugged in the sidewinder (again, fought and won the "what is that you're sticking into me" battle) and got the controller recognized in the Control Panel's "Game Controllers" thing. It shows up as a generic 6 button, and not a Sidewinder... but whatever. It works.

Now here's the problem. I fired up Nesticle and the controler does nothing. I can't set the buttons up or anything. It just doesn't recognize it. It's been a while since I used that program, so perhaps I'm doing something wrong there... or perhaps not. Is there anything I can do? I wanna play Nintendo on my laptop dammit! With a real controller!

doink

Comment

umm.. deev I think with emulators you usually use the basic keyboard as your controller...thats what I think, I may be wrong...

PROJECT: EIEN (Eternity, Endless) in progress...

"What's the point of a race?- Just means you're faster...that's all. If I have to race, it should be for something important..."

"What Is A Man Who Cannot Prosper and Better What He Owns?"

Comment

they can, but they can use controllers as well. I've been using them since 97... it's just been a while! on win98 anyway! I got snes to work... that'll hold me over for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
          they can, but they can use controllers as well. I've been using them since 97... it's just been a while! on win98 anyway! I got snes to work... that'll hold me over for a while.

lol oh deev, you and your nes, snes and initial d... haha

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
          Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
          NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

you know it!
            The damn SNES is so slow on my laptop... It sucks. I gotta play around and find a simpler program! I think the 16mb of onboard ram died on me too. It only says 32 now.

Comment

I never was a big fan of Nesticle. I've been using FCEUltra for years and it rocks. I use ZSNES for my SNES fix. Final Burn Alpha and MAME for my arcade fix. FBA is the best for Capcom emulation. Or it was back when I was all into emus.
              "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

Comment

nester is good as well.. its not in dos like nesticle so the controller might work

Comment

I'm using ZSNES now... unfortunately it's a little heavy for my p166. Nesticle runs perfectly, aside from the controller issue.

Do you guys have any experience with other stripped down emulators? I don't need much... just enough to play the game without killing my resources!

Comment

i play all my snes roms on my ps2 with snes station (you need a modchip/fliptop). a 166mhz computer? damn man good luck
                    1991 JDM Galant VR-4

Comment

Wow your laptop is a racecar compared to the free Gateway 2300 p133 Win98 1Ghd shitbox laptop with a busted CD-ROM drive and 33k modem card thingy that I have sitting in storage. At least I have 2 USB ports on mine... nyah nyah

Tangent: If you (or anybody else for that matter) have an severly obsolete Gateway and need parts try mundocorp to rebuild that old dinosaur.
                      Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                      2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                      2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                      2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Man, I need a mundocorp for Dells! I hate dell computers, but I had to snag mine for $45 I can put another 32mb chip in it, but I can't find one anywhere! That would fix some of my problems... maybe.

Comment

Deev, are you using DOS Nesticle, or Nestcl95? What input did you tell it to use? Joystick 1, Joystick 2, or Gamepad? Sometimes in the past I had trouble getting regular Nesticle to work right with the gamepad option. If your running the DOS one, don't use the GRiP or Sidewinder options, they won't work unless you have those specific controllers in the old joystick port varieties.

Comment

And you guys wanna see a real dinosaur? I have an old 386 laptop with I think 1 MEG of RAM and a 10 MEG HD buried somewhere in my parent's basement. It doesn't even have any kind of pointing device on it.

Comment

Wow.

I'm using Nesticle95, I believe. The little nutsack icon The dos one tells me it's missing a file. I've tried the joystick1 and 2 and the gamepad options. No dice.

Comment

Working...
                              X