Test driving new car at dealer????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test driving new car at dealer????

Anybody went to the dealer just to test drive car? What's the process and what do you need. I'm turning 19 and I wanted to go test drive them STI and EVO for fun.

well the 1st thing ur gonna hav to 2 do is plan on NOT going in there with the mind to test drive. me and my dad worked at a Nissan dealership and the 1st thing they look at is ur age. being that your 19 they'll think twice about letting u test drive a car. ask them about the car for a while and the options that come with each package. most people who go to dealerships like Mitsubishi and Subaru are the ones like 24 and older. so when they get on the lot they pick the car they already want. dont and i repeat DONT go up there and the 1st thing u do is ask to test drive the car. then the sales man will think the himself:"this kid dont wanna buy no car. he's just looking for a joy ride". talk to him about all the options first

Comment

Just go in to the dealership and act like you're interested in it.
      Thats what people be doing at work.
      Last year i test drove a Mercedes E Class, but i had to make a Road Test Appt.
      But smaller dealerships like Mitsubishi or Subaru shouldnt be that hard to get a road test.

Comment

Proof of insurance and driver license to prove that your 18 and over and your set.

Edit: Thats a lot of ands hahaha!
        "form follows function."
        Louis Sullivan

Comment

the evo and sti arent going to be as easy to test drive I am sure. You arent the only person who wants to just get a joyride out of it.

Comment

I used to know a guy that worked at Mitsu dealership and they required a credit check and deposit to test drive an Evo. I seriously doubt you'll waltz in there and get to drive and STi or an Evo. If you can't afford the car...don't be an asshat and try to waste their time.
            Honda-Tech Username: Lostcb7
            The cb7tuner.com OG.

Comment

im 17 and test drove a 99 prelude when i was looking for a new car. Though, I was with my dad. :laugh: The car was for sale from a big dodge / chrysler dealership.

Just expect them to ride with you when you're test driving it, if they let you.

Comment

Keep in mind that the salespeople work in a rotating pattern. Meaning, when you walk in and a guy comes up to you, it's his turn. 7 or 8 people have to walk in for their turn to come around again... So, when you walk in with no intention to buy, you're wasting their time. The next person to walk in could be a legitimate customer. Many salesmen get paid on commission only (and draw... basically borrowing against expected commission).

I say wait till they have some sort of promotional even, as Mazda has been doing recently. Wait till they WANT you to take joyrides, and then take full advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenji
                  I'm turning 19 and I wanted to go test drive them STI and EVO for fun.
                  as previously stated, unless you're ready to buy, your chances are slim to none. you can always test drive them playing GT4
                  5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                  JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Its bad but I do it all the time. I've test everything from the 04 Cobra to the 06 STI. It started cause I was interested in buying the cars... then I just felt like taking them out. Of course wearing a military uniform helps alot too. Just go in there and dont ask for a test drive... Convince them that you really are looking to buy... For the STI I told them I was interested in the Evo and wanted to compare the two before I bought one or the other. Let me tell you... it works everytime.
                    Oil leak?What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!

Applied knowledge is power!

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

BIRTHDAYS ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER
                    registration is free

Comment

dont do it...unless your gonna buy it....my friend works at a dealership..gets paid by commishion..while your wasting his time....some prospective car owners who wanna actually buy a car...are beign helped by a co worker...so hes losing money..go make soem friends with evos and elt them let u drive it

Comment

they usually wont let anyone test drive them at all..if the dealership doesnt care then yeah, but most likely they will not let anyone test drive STI or EVO. Due to the fact if someone came in and they wanted to buy one, they would without test driving one. They wouldnt have to test drive it. At the the Honda dealership i work for, we will not let anyone test drive an S2k or an V6-6 speed accord.

but give it a shot, sometimes they allow test drives. Its better to bring a friend along with you lol. We use to go test drive cars only because we would kinda give more hope toward the sales person. First we would walk around for a minute till someone asked us for help, then he would talk about how his mom is looking to buy him something for a grad present, kinda explain what he would be looking for. I would then speak in, i think your mom would like this car. and so on lol. Kinda act stupid on what the car is capable of, nod and ask questions and a lot of facial expression.
                        Last edited by lowoctane; 11-24-2005, 04:23 PM.

^sold

Comment

Meh. I actually had NO problems test driving an evo. I was just checking it out one day when I was bored and the salesman asked me if I wanted to take it for a spin.

I've had trouble at a subaru dealer once but hey, now my gf and I both own them so I doubt they'll give us much trouble if we go look at STi's

But yes, its definitely all about attitude. Just go check out the car and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                          X