Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I'm broke... suggestions please!

Yup! I'm broke!

Well, not really... I have enough money to live, but I fear I don't have the funds to continue modding my cars as much as I would like. My financee just moved in, which increased the bills I have to pay. My old roommate worked for the cable company, and provided free cable... I now have to pay for that. Starting in September, I started making payments for the loan I took out to pay for my wedding. I'm only paying half of these bills, but it's enough to make me watch my wallet.

The kicker is that I'm taking steps to get back into school as soon as possible... which means I need to stay in my current job as a waiter. It pays well enough. It's easy enough (meaning little stress... good when trying to focus on school). And the hours are incredibly flexible (been there almost 5 years, so I dictate my own schedule). So getting a better job isn't an option for me, which makes things difficult!

Can anyone offer me some advice on ways to make some money on the side? Something I can do in my spare time, around the other demands of my life... Something that doesn't require an initial investment...

I thought about trying to sell my services as a sig pic creator on here. I've made some decent pics for members in the past (free of charge, of course...) but perhaps I could ask for a donation of like $5 for a sig? I dunno if anyone would want to pay $5 for a little picture to use on a web board, but who knows! That's my first idea. Another is to sell mesh grill inserts on ebay...

Any other ideas? I don't need to make a fortune... just some play money. If I can make money in my spare time, especially if I do it within the CB7 community, I can justify the spending of it on my car.

Sell stuff on ebay...trust me

I used to sell Air Jordans when i was in High School. I was the only kid making $2 grand a week. The best part was I did it all in my spare time.

But then cheap fakes flooded the Net and I was outta business.

Find a niche and exploit it. Maybe start selling parts for cb7tuners...

Comment

Here are examples of sigs I've done for people...

I also did one for Wikked... I lost it in a reformat though, and never put it on imagestation. Carlos, if you still have it, post it up!

Comment

Just think of something you are good at, that people are willing to pay something for. If its making sig pics.. go for it. Maybe you can design some logos or whatnot.

Since you know about cars, doing a little maintenance for others can bring in some extra money. I changed a radiator and made 200 I think. they spent 500 compared to 1000 that they were quoted. Was kinda a pain in the rear, but that money helped out a little.

If you have a garage full of parts like I once did, sell what you really wont need. Or possibly invest in a cb7 needing a little attention, fix it up, and turn around and sell it. Im going to work on doing that soon when i find a good cheap one that doesnt need tooo much exterior or engine work.

sell old college books on amazon, and get new ones there when you go to school.

Comment

If our Sebring was paid off I'd really like to get your 3G in your sig... but it isn't so I can't. Maybe when I get my car looking good I'll throw you $5 for a sig. It'd help another member and I'd have a "deevergote special"

Comment

Maybe I will do that $5 a sig... basically a donation to my cause, since I would normally do them for free when I have time. So a $5 contribution to my modding addiction would get you a sig as a token of my appreciation

92accordlxtuner, selling on ebay is definitely a great idea... the problem is I have nothing to sell! Mesh inserts, perhaps... I can get the materials fairly cheap, and use my own grill to make sure they're a perfect fit. 92-93 grills will be my specialty! Since most 92-93 guys often use 90-91 grills for custom work (and they don't fit perfectly) my inserts might actually be good! But what price should I sell them for? My CB7tuner prices would of course be cheaper than my ebay prices (gotta take care of you guys!)

aero, great ideas! I'm a little afraid to do any wrenching on other people's cars though... I know CB7s, but that's about it. I don't like the idea of getting into something with someone else's car, and finding it's totally different from what I know! And I couldn't charge a CB7er for working on their car... All the local guys are my friends, and I couldn't ask that of them!
            Last edited by deevergote; 11-12-2005, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Manwhore

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                Manwhore
                Cha-ching!

Might cure that pesky fiancee problem I've been having...

Comment

hmm i might be intrested ...heheh....

Comment

Well...pricing is up to you. Your best bet is to open an "Ebay Store" and just put a link in your sig for the mesh grills. Voila, you are now a boss with a store that is Open 24 hours and advertised directly to its market FOR FREE (minus the ebay costs, which are almost nothing).

PM for some real great secret tips!

Comment

Design something cool that has to do with the site, get permission to sell it (of course giving CB7Tuner.com some kickback for using their name and helping the site out), and make loads of money.. I would if I weren't so damn lazy.

Comment

If you do the ebay deal you need to treat it like a business and pay taxes on it.. if the IRS finds out you're selling on ebay making a profit they'll hit you like not paying taxes at your job. Just open up a second checking account and keep your books up to date. You'll have to keep track of time and materials cost, then cost for selling it on ebay. after you take out all the costs you have what's called net profit. You have to pay around 25% taxes on this just to be safe. When your tax time comes around you claim the money you made on ebay. Since you set back 25% each week you should have more than enough to pay when you find out you OWE the IRS money... once again, that's why you set back 25% a week of your NET PROFIT... not total money made off the auction. Make sure you set up the bank account as "you name doing business as 'Deevergote Auctions' " or something like that.

Oh and when you claim your ebay money on taxes you only claim net profit.. not total money made off the auction.. you understand what I'm talking about?

Comment

Mushrooms are in season... . Do a little picking and selling maybe?
                          Magnaflow exhaust for cb7's for sale

Comment

If you have any public auctions near you, you can make some cash buying junk and selling on ebay, or a local swapmeet.

Some auctions go through tons of junk they get from unclaimed storage. You can find lots of treasures there.

If I had a van, or even a truck w/garage, I would do it.

My swap thread
                            Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

I'm a waiter... I'm already screwing the IRS

But yeah, I don't need an audit. Good advice there on the 25%!

Comment

Working...
                              X